Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AKPOG

Two RVK125 fans into one 125mm Ducting?

24 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I need some advice please, basically I am currently running an RVK125 fan for my extraction via a Carbon Filter. However, I've just purchased a decent cool hood shade & I was wondering if I could vent the shade RVK125 fan into the 4metres of 125mm ducting my main extract is flowing through?

Will there be too much pressure & thus risking reducing the life of my fans? It should it be just fine to "Y' piece the new cool shade RVK into my main extract ducting?

I'd rather not have to have another long length of ducting & have to cut another vent hole in my garage eves, but if it is advisable then I will do as I must.

Thanks for your time & expertise :yinyang:

I've been thinking about this too recently (except 10") I guess it partly depends on what sort of volume of air you're pumping through, and how long/ straight your ducting run is.

You'd also need to make sure you don't let any smell escape through the cool hood extraction system.

Black-Beard

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

when I ran aircooled hoods I always had the fan for the hoods on a separate duct.

if you put 2 into 1 it will reduce the fans efficiency and ability to extract all the air

And if you are putting the fan before the lights, it will reduce the chance of smell leaks, as the pressure of the air inside the hood will be greater than the pressure of air in the groom so any smells should not get in

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

The cool hood i have is completely sealed according to the specification. Although it does specify to push air through the hood & always from the bulb connector end. 

I thought it should be OK to flow 440 cubic metres down a length of 125mm ducting (2x 220). But I do have doubts which is why I'm checking.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Could you not join them together with a size changer Y/T piece so they join into a 10" ducting? possibly even an 8" would do.

Black-Beard

Edited by Black-Beard

56 minutes ago, Black-Beard said:

Could you not join them together with a size changer Y/T piece so they join into a 10" ducting? possibly even an 8" would do.

Black-Beard

I thought of that mate, but I've got a 125me hole cut into my garage wall & it would take a lot of work to increase it to 10".

I could perhaps have the splitter at the wall, so two 125mm ducts hit a 125mm hole, reducing the chances of flow pressure in the ducting?

5 minutes ago, AKPOG said:

I thought of that mate, but I've got a 125me hole cut into my garage wall & it would take a lot of work to increase it to 10".

I could perhaps have the splitter at the wall, so two 125mm ducts hit a 125mm hole, reducing the chances of flow pressure in the ducting?

Yeah that's fair enough, I made a hole in the chimney to vent out of, instead of renting a core drill I just drilled out the cement and took the bricks out whole, made a bit of a mess but I can put them back in if needs be.

I'm pretty sure that would cause a fair bit of back pressure, but wait for someone who knows more to answer.

Black-Beard

1 person likes this

Thanks @Black-Beard

I've reviewed my options & I think I might have to either do the following if I can't vent out of my concealed extract vent:

1) Drill out into my garage eves & install a new vent - (Not so good for having a plume of hot air coming from a garage at night & heat seeking cameras on the regular passing copter!). My other vent is concealed.

2) Use my air intake pipe from my other eve & vent out there & suck warm air from inside my garage (crap! Same issues as 1 !!!)

3) Just leave the duct open ended & recycle air in garage (this will warm up the garage & may not end up cooling the bulb very well?

4) use my air intake for cooler air over the cool hood, extract into my garage & the suck warmer air from inside my garage for my intake - Although I'd image any benefit would be cancelled out?

I don't have many options, other than drilling a low level hole in my garage wall & attempt to conceal it, which I'd rather not. 

I hope someone experienced can give me a definitive answer as to where my original question is possible or not?

here is another option.

could you not put up a fake gutter downpipe from your soffit, and plumb the fan/duct into that at eaves level?

then it would disperse at ground level.

just a thought

2 people like this

46 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

here is another option.

could you not put up a fake gutter downpipe from your soffit, and plumb the fan/duct into that at eaves level?

then it would disperse at ground level.

just a thought

Mmmmm, nice thinking mate, anyone would think you've had to be stealthy before :ninja: Although 5inch ducting isn't that readily available is it? As that's a chunky drain pipe?

I've dug out my 127mm concrete hole saw, so I might just do another "tumble dryer hole"  through the brick at ground level & lean some boards against my wall outside :ninja:

When it comes to sell my house I'll have to fill it in.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sorry to slightly hijack, I have a similar sort of question. Could I hook up two 125's to 8 inch ducting via a Y splitter for an intake or would it be too much? I can get 10" ducting instead if needs be but I have all the aforementioned to hand.

Cheers :smokin:

Edited by Fry

6 minutes ago, Fry said:

two 125's to 8 inch ducting via a Y splitter f

Should work ok,

2 x 125" gives an area of just under 40".......1 x 8" gives about 50"........if you go with a 10" then it's just under 80"

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

@stu914 Think I should be sweet with the 8" then. Thanks for the help dude! :)

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

Right guys, Instead of a cool tube, I should have upgraded my RVK125 to the RVK125A1 (220cubic metres, to 335 cubic metres! No new holes required, no need to combine two fans into one ducting.

So 125mm ducting is clearly made for higher flow than 220 cubic metres, as the RVK125A1 is 335 cubic metres, then I can put my lower flow RVK125 on my intake, increasing flow considerably to reduce temps!

I only found this out as my usual grow shop doesn't offer the A1 version of the 125mm fans & I saw the higher flow rate version on the Grow & Harvest site.

Sadly I've now got to get my grow shop to take back the shade, which I hastily purchased! :thumbdown:

If they won't accept the return then I'll have to fleabay it.

1 person likes this

@AKPOG

the rvk a1 is low powered

you want the rvk L1 for high power version