Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rampa Green

Carbon filter

Hi everyone, hope y’all well and the garden is flourishing.

i have a 6” rvk l1

rated at 660m3h

would a 6” carbo air 1350m3h be too much for the fan or would a 720m3h 8” carboair filter be better or is that too close for comfort?

thanks in advance

maybe @G&H might know

Always oversize the carbon filter if you can.....means the fan has to do less work and the filter lasts longer :yep:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

Always oversize the carbon filter if you can.....means the fan has to do less work and the filter lasts longer :yep:

Plus if the air is pushing too fast through an undersize filter it will not clean the air properly and things soon begin to smell....:yep:

2 people like this

I don't think oversizing is needed, i'd go with the same size c/f to match the fan.

1 minute ago, Amnesia said:

I don't think oversizing is needed, i'd go with the same size c/f to match the fan.

It's not the physical size of the filter but how much it can handle per hour, if the fan is rated higher than the filter you will have a problem.

My fan is 500m3/hr, filter the same, but with a controller and losses due to ducting etc it falls well within range, no smells....:yep:

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

@stu914

Thanks mate. That’s the closest to the answer I need. The 8” will be fine then.  

Although id like the higher m3h and extra height the 1350 carbo air would give me.  Will my fan suck through that filter ok as well. Anyone?

Edited by Rampa Green

5 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

Will my fan suck through that filter ok as well. Anyone?

You'll be fine with the 720. Though the fan is rated 660 you have to take into account the drag and manufacturers exaggeration which will bring it down quite a bit.

@stu914

thanks mate but I meant would it suck through the 1350 one efficiently

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

@stu914

thanks mate but I meant would it suck through the 1350 one efficiently

If anything, even better than the smaller one as there's less resistance and ultimately should last a lot longer, if you have the space and cash go for the biggun.

Another plus using the larger is that if you wished to upgrade the fan in the future you have options.............:yep:

4 people like this

Top man

thats what I wanted to hear.

thanks for your time @stu914

and everyone else for chipping in their 2p

1 person likes this

You're welcome bud, good luck with the res of it.......:yep:

1 person likes this

Whilst a fan can be too big for the filter you'll struggle to find a filter too big for any fan! In fact an over sized filter has a few advantages, only disadvantage I can think of is it's sheer bulk. 

4 people like this