Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

calif123

Dedicated air cooled light fan vs using filtered exhaust fan

Hi,

I am fighting heat at the moment and with regard to air cooled lights and was wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is there is a big benefit to cooling the lights down via a dedicated fan vs using the exhaust fan I already have? Cheers

I have used a few in my years....depends how you set it up IME as you want to factor in the loss from the glass vs getting the shade closer.

Maybe cheaper to look at portable air con ?   Not used one myself but have been looking into it as the mercury rises  :yep:

@zen-ken Sorry, I wasnt too clear. Its not really "air" vs "none air" I was wondering about, more the difference between one system where the air cooled light is cooled through the exhaust fan versus another system where the light is air cooled via a dedicated fan/duct. Cheers

Posted (edited)

If you use a separate fan drawing the air through the lite from outside the grow then you should get lower ambient temps as lower air temperature flowing past the bulb so a better cooling affect and could also allow you to treat humidity/temperature issues a bit more independently rather than using one fan to deal with both 

Edited by Jim Herbert
1 person likes this

I did a grow in a cupboard in august with a 600w HPS

The cool tube was connected directly to the fan to the filter...no duct runs.....full power....put a little duct on the other end of the cool tube to take air from the ceiling.

I managed to bleach (not burn) the bud......so yes is the answer iME.....but you need to powerful fan to do it and a big arsed carbon filter.

Use an intake fan to boost the airflow and ease the pressure on the main fan.

I would take @Jim Herbert advice tho.....the fan for the bulb doesn't have a carbon filter or duct runs if you have room....so can be lower powered.....you use it to just pass air across the bulb.

I run 600w air cooled hood (not a cool tube )in a 1.2x1.2 tent 6inch rvk fan on carbon filter for extraction and when run air cooled Light have a duct from a window to supply the cool air with a 6inch rvk attached to the hood pushing the air past the bulb and the duct out the tent and up the chimney and out the room with the tent in with the hot air the hood stays nice and cool could rest your arm there all day Can almost get the light touching the glass without burning Them but too close and as @zen-ken said can get a little light bleaching I tend not to put the light much closer than I would with a open shade as I want to keep the light spread as ionly trade off is the glass diminishes a little of the intensity of the light but I haven’t really noticed Any dramatic loss of yield and too high a temp is a trade off too So it’s horses for courses for the pros and cons 

2 people like this

Ive not had to switch it on so far this year but expect to in the next few days so at the moment just running the separate fan and filter for extracting the glass is off the hood fan unattached with both end of the duct connected to the hood as passive intakes For air and even that noticeablely makes the hood cooler to the touch 

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Jim Herbert said:

... and could also allow you to treat humidity/temperature issues a bit more independently rather than using one fan to deal with both 

Never thought about that. Good point, cheers.

1 person likes this

I ended up buying an air cooled hood for my 600w. Put it this way. If temps were mid 30s the hood will probably take temps down by 4 degrees C. I have black orchid in line fan pushing fresh air in to my tent then I have a Y splitter just before hood where I put fresh cooler air back thru hood and use the other 50% of fresh air to feed to my plants . Also have a chiller for keeping my reservoir at bang on 18deg C. You've no idea how much warm nutes will fu#k your grow up! My plants love my set up. With lights off its summertime and temps are 24deg. With lights on boost (660watt) and running my temps won't go higher than 30deg. Before air hood etc it'd reach high 30s all the time 

11 hours ago, Qwerty12356 said:

I ended up buying an air cooled hood for my 600w. Put it this way. If temps were mid 30s the hood will probably take temps down by 4 degrees C. I have black orchid in line fan pushing fresh air in to my tent then I have a Y splitter just before hood where I put fresh cooler air back thru hood and use the other 50% of fresh air to feed to my plants . Also have a chiller for keeping my reservoir at bang on 18deg C. You've no idea how much warm nutes will fu#k your grow up! My plants love my set up. With lights off its summertime and temps are 24deg. With lights on boost (660watt) and running my temps won't go higher than 30deg. Before air hood etc it'd reach high 30s all the time 

Thats good to know cheers. Got an air cooled hood on its way, would kill for 4 deg less! I'm curious, when you run at 30, doesn't this not cause problems for you? Once I get the hood, I hope this will be enough, so I don't need AC. 

Thanks guys. Got an air cooled hood and now exhausting to another room now. The difference is amazing. Still hot (27-29), but not 34+! Now I can put the main light away and get my ladies under the T5 knowing I can sort of manage temps when the time comes. Cheers for all the info.

1 person likes this

I use 2 air cooled hoods and 1000w dual spectrum last night my temps were 26.5c a lot of buds are touching the glass too with minimal damage.

For comparison it's lights off now and it's 23.6c