Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KarlPilkington1

All the gear, no idea

43 posts in this topic

If it were I, I'd have a fan for this weather, and be passive the rest of the time. That said it'll probably be years before we have another summer like this. If you're going passive make sure those vents covers don't suck shut, I cut some 6" lengths of timber and stapled velcro to the ends and used them to prop the vents fully open. 

1 person likes this

Looking top notch mate :yep: I also grow in a loft room, the temps this summer have been unreal. Its been a real struggle to keep them down, i run my lights through the nite and intake from a DIY cool unit. Needs filling with ice quite a bit and only gets temps down by about 2/3c.

Atb with the grow when you get going mate

1 person likes this

could you intake from the soffit. a couple of 70mm soffit vents then duct to your intake. 

It would also have the benefit of being colder air coming in from outside - I know we are having a mini heatwave, but it will be raining again in a couple of weeks, because ive booked a holiday lol.

build is looking great too by the way, like the fancy lino- very posh

1 person likes this

I love to see these builds, top job mate! :yep:

1 person likes this

@Muppet the vents on the tent have little metal rods to keep the vents open. I kept the door open last night tho paras haha just in case

cheers @K-dawg I’d be getting in that ice box myself or sticking my head in it

@badbillybob that was my original plan mate. I’m gonna cut a hole in the soffit wall tonight and run some ducting to the landing downstairs. Even if it’s bringing cooler air to the room and not the tent it’d be better. I’ll try it first like that tonight, then tomoz night I’ll try it straight into the tent. 

Plus, I’m not gonna have both lights on to start with, whilst the plants are still small

1 person likes this

I meant the soffit timber, , which is the timber below the gutter.|It on the underside of the eaves, usually about 6-12 inches wide, around the perimeter of the roof, if that makes sense. 

Some old houses don't have them mind .

1 person likes this

Yep it does have it but it’s literally like a sauna in that bit. It’s a void of say 900mm behind my wall to the soffit with no insulation in roof. And it’ll be freezing in the winter. At least the air from downstairs will be a constant 18-20c all year around. Cos the walls are all solid brick in this house it stays about the same temp. What you reckon?

2 people like this

I would preffer my incoming air to be colder than 20 degrees to be honest, but its up to you.

Its generally recommended to get your incoming air from as cold a place as possible, to help with temps inside the tent and to make sure the extract fan doesn't have to work so hard off the controller to keep temps down.

if this is your best option then go with it, but from what you are saying I don't think you know what part of the house is the soffit.

its like your roof trusses yeah, where they sit on the house walls yeah, and they poke out a bit at each side of the house, there is a timber sheet, usually plywood which covers the underside of the trusses, and the facia covers the end of the trusses, where the gutter is fixed to,

@badbillybob I get you mate. I never knew the colder the better on the intake. I’d prefer to bring it from under the soffit to be honest so I don’t have to put a grill in the hallway ceiling. It’s be a lot easier. 

1 person likes this

Yes mate, you will just neeed a 70mm holesaw, and some push in vents, which have insect screens on them, usually.

Then just duct this inside the loft to your intake fan, jobs a goodun

1 person likes this

Cheers @badbillybob I’ll have a look tonight 

All the gear and some bloody good ideas. Thus is a proper job. Hope you grow some real monsters in there.

1 person likes this

Very nice indeed, can’t wait to see the set up in use.......