Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

unity

new ballasts / bulb, recomendations?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My 600 HPS are getting way to hot in my tent so I want to downsize, I'm thinking swap them over for 400W's instead, moreso as we have a heatwave hitting us next week.

I currently have some fairly old magnetic ballasts that only chuck out 600W.

What would be the best direction to spend money on, I'm thinking of just getting a couple of 400W digital ballasts, with some 400W bulbs?

If I opt for a ballast that I can turn down, would I need to swap out the bulbs for the appropriate wattage?  I'm thinking if a 400W is designed to output it's spectrum when it receives it's required voltage by heating to the required point, if it heats cooler wouldn't it output a different spectrum?

Posted (edited)

400 watt lamp at 400watt settings and 600watt lamp at 600watt setting.  dimming 600s down to 400 affects the light spectrum output

WHy not go for a dimmable 600 watt one?, which can be dimmed to 400 or even 250w (ideal for seedlings)

you could use it at 600 in winter and 400 in summer. Personally I would be upgrading my extraction if a 600 is too hot.

Do not buy an omega, they are shite, I had to send back 3 out of 4 of them within a week of using them. 

cheap ballasts are bad economy

ive had neo issues with lumii digitas and lumateks in the past, if you are looking for a recommendation 

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

the dimmable ballasts are great mate, you can get lumii or omega ones from ebay for around £60 each and they come with a 600w bulb of your choice(MH or HPS) and a set of yoyo's, if it gets to hot you can turn them down as well, you do need the right bulb for the proper setting though but that's way better than having to swap out ballasts for changing watts....

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

ive had neo issues with lumii digitas and lumateks in the past, if you are looking for a recommendation 

i also use lumii's as well mate, they are great for the price....

4 people like this

@badbillybob cheers mate, that reply was exactly what I thought I needed to do.  Good to see both you and @craigfjyp recommending the same brand, I shall investigate a pair of 600W digital dimmable lumii's :)

1 person likes this

don't go for the cheapo  lumii black or the omegas, make sure its a digita one, it has green sides, black top.

They are much better. 75 quid with a free lamp on you know where

3 people like this

1 minute ago, badbillybob said:

don't go for the cheapo  lumii black or the omegas, make sure its a digita one, it has green sides, black top.

i didn't even know you got different types of lumii, its the green and black ones i have so i must have just been lucky lol 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, badbillybob said:

They are much better. 75 quid with a free lamp on you know where

Top man, perfect timing as I was just looking at the blacks as they were listed first.  My local shop sells the digita for £80, so I'll pop in later and pick a couple up.  I know the owner since he opened, I always support my local shops were I can, luckily I have two decent ones near me :) 

2 people like this

What are your thoughts on either purchasing a 600w dimmable HPS or a 600/1000w LED, both full spectrum. I need to fill a 80x80x160 tent with 1/2 plants in at a time and need some help! Really want to get the right ighting first time around! 

I'll say you should upgrade your fans rather than downgrade your light.

Less light less bud.

I've got a couple of digita, fine bits of kit. Are there two 600 models? I bought mine s/h, one goes 250,400,600,660w. One goes 400,440,600,660w. 

1 person likes this

Me too now, both working fine @ 400W right now :)

1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

I'll say you should upgrade your fans rather than downgrade your light.

Less light less bud.

But pulling in more hot air may not be as beneficial to the environment as lowering temps by reducing wattage of heat output at canopy?  I think I'd get a better result with a smaller bulb, than a larger in a hotter tent, imo , hence it's what I did :)

Aright good, I didn't see the date of your OP. Glad you got it sorted. all the best.

10 hours ago, Muppet said:

I've got a couple of digita, fine bits of kit. Are there two 600 models? I bought mine s/h, one goes 250,400,600,660w. One goes 400,440,600,660w. 

the older ones start at 400 mate, just to let you know.

it should have a date of manufacture on the sticker on the end, but its really small print.

Good you got sorted with the 400s mate

1 person likes this