Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calif123

parabolic
Dealing with heat from parabolic

25 posts in this topic

I was having an issue similar with my parabolic, it ended up being caused by negative pressure touching the sides of the parabolic, trapping heat in the process.

I bought 4 1.2m budbox replacement bars from the bay. Drilled through each end of the bars and tiewrapped them to my tent. Problem solved.

21 hours ago, calif123 said:

how do you manage humidity at that extraction rate?

I certainly suffer when the plants are small. I have my plants sat on upturned saucers in a big tray in the tent. Sometimes I just pour a bucket of water into the tray and that raises the rh,and because of the upturned saucers the roots are not submerged.

On 23/06/2018 at 11:04 AM, ursus1000 said:

I certainly suffer when the plants are small. I have my plants sat on upturned saucers in a big tray in the tent. Sometimes I just pour a bucket of water into the tray and that raises the rh,and because of the upturned saucers the roots are not submerged.

Thats a good idea. I guess its surface area thats important. Cheers

On 22/06/2018 at 3:30 PM, BullBill said:

I was having an issue similar with my parabolic, it ended up being caused by negative pressure touching the sides of the parabolic, trapping heat in the process.

I bought 4 1.2m budbox replacement bars from the bay. Drilled through each end of the bars and tiewrapped them to my tent. Problem solved.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean that you reinforced the tent sides to provide extra space around the reflector edge? If so, how many degrees C did that buy you? Cheers

Let's not forget that humidity will always be low in an empty grow room.  that will all change when you got 10l  pots of soil or an nft tank etc.  Not to mention the amount of humidity the plants themselves will add.  If you can get temperature right it's a good starting point.  r/h is better monitored throughout the grow rather than in an empty room.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 24/06/2018 at 3:23 PM, calif123 said:

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean that you reinforced the tent sides to provide extra space around the reflector edge? If so, how many degrees C did that buy you? Cheers

Yes I think that's what he meant, you can use bungee cords to the same effect too. I've had to do that myself this morning to give the plants a bit more space to breathe, and I removed the parabolic (just unscrewed the holder so it can go back on easily) and straightened all ducting whilst I was at it. In a 1.5m2 with 600w btw, 8" out 5" in. Seems to have bought me a couple of degrees as this time yesterday I had to turn off the light at 34c and then it was on 31c all night, today is hotter than it was yesterday and I'm on 32c at the canopy. I'll be glad when this week is over, growing autos in summer isn't much fun lol

Edited by Fry
1 person likes this

Ironically your username is “fry”

i am having the same challenges here.

Its no good worrying and whittling about temps when its this type of weather. Talk of 8" fans for a 1.2 tent is ludicrous. Way over the top. My canopy temps for the last few days have been 36-37 degrees with 31 at pot level and my plants look fine. A bit of canoeing going on buts thats about it

If you are not exhausting all the air out of the window then its never going to be perfect because you are heating the room the tents in because of recycled air. Temps in my  bedroom with windows open and curtains closed is 25 degrees so when pulling 25 degrees in you are going to get high temps but plants will still grow well if they have plenty of water and plenty of fresh air. I exhaust into my loft and pull air from the other side of the loft but I'm still pulling air in thats 25degrees plus

Get your lights high and plenty of fresh air and thats about all you can do unless you go into an expensive air con system thats just not worth it for the odd week or two of summer in this country 

Owd

6 people like this

@calif123 I'm not to sure about any changes in temperature, But it certainly helped airflow around the parabolic. Airflow more important to me than temps, if my air flow is good, then I don't worry too much about temps. 

It was just a little issue I had with the parabolic and negative pressure touching, reducing airflow and trapping heat.

Thanks guys. Got an air cooled hood and now exhausting to another room now. The difference is amazing. Still hot, but not 34+! Now I can put the main light away and get my ladies under the T5 knowing I can sort of manage temps when the time comes. Cheers for all the info.

1 person likes this