Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GaianMonkey

Potting up schedules?

Hi

Just a quickie to all the coco growers. What size pots do people use as they pot up. I've gone from jiffy plugs to 1 litre smart pots, and not sure where next? I'm thinking 3.8 , 8 , then 12 or 16 to finish. Might skip the 3.8l pot.

Cheers mates!!

Posted (edited)

@GaianMonkey You certainly won't need over 12litres in coco,unless you're growing trees. I start seeds or cuttings in 70mm square pots,then 5" round pots,3.6litre square,then finish in 6.5litre square pots. With autos I use a 5" round pot for about a week,and then into 11 litre square pots for finals. But sometimes I just use the 11litre from the off. ATB mate :yep:

Edited by ursus1000
4 people like this

I go from small round into 6litres and then into 10 litre pots. Plants grow bigger than I like them in some ways as always end up needing support. Have got yields I'm happy with though so gonna stick with it.

1 person likes this

I go from 5 or 6 litre pots into 17 - 20 litre fabric pots,  the roots go crazy in fabric pots and they are impossible to over water

2 people like this

I find potting up from fabric pot is a bit of a pain, and it seems to be damaging to the roots too as they are ripped from the edges. I think I'm going to stick to standard pots as I pot up, but finish in 12 l fabric pots (which are about right for my space and no. of plants... I'm not growing trees, but I'm also not only growing wee plants in a SOG set up). 

I'm at jiffy plugs to 1l to 3l to 7/8l to around 12l, (can't see a need currently to bump up to or pot up again to 16l)

i go from 3" rounds to 1L to 3L to 6 or 7.5L finishing pots, i used to sometimes finish with 9L pots but tbh i didn't really see much of a difference in yield between 7.5 and 9L pots, but you do use far more coco/compost with the bigger pots though.....

2 hours ago, GaianMonkey said:

I find potting up from fabric pot is a bit of a pain, and it seems to be damaging to the roots too as they are ripped from the edges. I think I'm going to stick to standard pots as I pot up, but finish in 12 l fabric pots (which are about right for my space and no. of plants... I'm not growing trees, but I'm also not only growing wee plants in a SOG set up). 

I'm at jiffy plugs to 1l to 3l to 7/8l to around 12l, (can't see a need currently to bump up to or pot up again to 16l)

Yes definitely a pain to pot up from a fabric pot but I should have explained it better,  I use fabric as the final pot going into flower,  I use smaller plastic pots in veg.

1 person likes this

I go small plastic pots for cuttings. I'm not sure but they are pretty small. Then 1 litre and finish in 3.5 litres. Used to go straight from 1 to 6 but don't see any difference in yield and I'm saving coco. Actually yielding slightly more and maybe due to watering more often.:hippy:

1 hour ago, lennyd79 said:

I go small plastic pots for cuttings. I'm not sure but they are pretty small. Then 1 litre and finish in 3.5 litres. Used to go straight from 1 to 6 but don't see any difference in yield and I'm saving coco. Actually yielding slightly more and maybe due to watering more often.:hippy:

3.5 is quite small,  I used to use small pots like that but every time I increased the pot size my yields went up,  bigger roots,  bigger fruits as the saying goes....

On 7/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, Tigstar82 said:

3.5 is quite small,  I used to use small pots like that but every time I increased the pot size my yields went up,  bigger roots,  bigger fruits as the saying goes....

Maybe but not so much in coco in my opinion , watering/feeding more is a bigger advantage in coco and a lot quicker veg flowering in smaller pots so quicker grows than waiting for multiple pots to root out. If I was growing taller plants in a bigger grow tent or cupboard then I would use bigger pots but I don't think I would ever go above 6-7 litre pots, unless i was growing trees! Through a lot of experience and experiments this is best and way of growing for my situation. Easy 2 - 2 1/2 a plant in 3.5 litres. I grow 8 in my space! It works well

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

Maybe but not so much in coco in my opinion , watering/feeding more is a bigger advantage in coco and a lot quicker veg flowering in smaller pots so quicker grows than waiting for multiple pots to root out. If I was growing taller plants in a bigger grow tent or cupboard then I would use bigger pots but I don't think I would ever go above 6-7 litre pots, unless i was growing trees! Through a lot of experience and experiments this is best and way of growing for my situation. Easy 2 - 2 1/2 a plant in 3.5 litres. I grow 8 in my space! It works well

Iv been in coco since 1998, in fact iv only ever done 1 soil grow as my first grow,  iv grown in all sized pots including dustbins, iv currently got 1 in a 25 litre pot and have to water every day cos it drinks so fast,  my minimum is 5 litres but even that's pushing it

Edited by Tigstar82
1 person likes this

Oh and the 25 litre takes a gallon a day

Posted (edited)

This is my 25 litre pot, plant started from clone first week of june so its about 6 - 7 weeks old,  its actually rootbound and I need to transplant and yes before anyone says, my floor is dirty I dropped a pot yesterday lol

This is a little overkill as its only a fem seed run but you can never have enough seeds :D the other plants are all in smaller pots tho cos I was sexing regular seeds and they will be revegged and cloned later

large.5b4b7d4f3c6f8_Optimized-IMG_20180715_1753391.jpg

Edited by Tigstar82
6 people like this