Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badfishman

First box build questions

Hi Guys, after a little advice. I'm planning on building a 2ft x 2ft x 6ft (can make it as high or low as needed?) box. I'm planning on using 250watt cfl/hps with a 4" fan and filter. Probably put a computer fan on for inlet air. Is the above set up sufficient? Do I need 400 watt? 600watt? First time grower so any advice would be much appreciated cheers

1 person likes this

if your floorspace is limited to 2ft x 2ft I'd stick with 400w for sure, and I'd give yourself a little more head height just in case (like 180cm or higher) you get a stetchy one. 

a 315w CMH light would be ideal in that space, but cost a bit more, so up to you....

if you can go to 3ft x 3ft, then a 600w is better. 

computer fans are really noisy, I'd just go passive intake on 1 light/fan, normally more than adequate.... 

1 person likes this

Spot on mate, much appreciated. The intake fan did seem a bit unnecessary but someone told me I'd need one. Good shout on the cmh but they are pretty pricey! Might give them a go after this grow and see how they compare! How many plants would you stick into this space? It'll actually be about 2.3 x 2.3 was thinking just one or two? I'm leaning towards a sativa dominant 

1 person likes this

The main reason to add an active intake is increasing air movement through the space normally due to high temps or high humidity.... it also reduces load on exhaust fan so can be useful if you are maxing out a system - so probably no point in this case...

your temps and airflow flow will all be dictated by exhaust fan anyway, as you always want more air leaving than entering....

The cmh are really worth the investment for the increase in resin production and flavour profile - I’ll never buy hps weed again now! 

But before investing in  a cmh, I’d get a fan speed controller - they are THE investment to make if you want decent results as they maintain room temps at set levels....

As for for how many, it’s really down to how you like to do it and whether you train them.... if speed is important do lots of little ones, but if you like plants to hit maturity (normally around 21” high) before flowering, I’d do no more than 3 - if you have an idea of a strain you want to do I can be more specific re numbers.... 

if you’re unsure, I’d think about what you want to get from your smoke, and ask here if anyone has grown any similar or maybe in strain talk section :) 

sorry for essay but hope it helps! :smokin:

1 person likes this