Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bearukc

Wiring a new fan -help please!

Posted (edited)

large.IMG_2341.JPG

I'll gave to admit at this point that I'm useless when it comes to electricity and electricals. I've just got myself a fan upgrade for the summer and the fan has no plug and wire on it -hopeless for someone like me. Is there a kind person out there who can tell me where to stick the wires? Please don't try and explain how a circuit works -just which wire goes where? I would have wired it same colour to same colour but I'm told that's wrong. Thanks in advance :)                                    

Edited by bearukc
forgot to add photo!! duh!!

Alright @bearukc

The brown is the live.

the blue is the neutral,

the yellow/green is the earth. 

That enough for you?

:yinyang:Jj

Sorry mate I am stoned:eek:

looks like diffrent speeds run of the neutral,

so so earth in the very left, live in the one with L on it, then the neutral in either of the end ones depending on the speed:smokin:

@Jibba jabba No problem mate - I'm permanently stoned!!! Thanks fella,  I think I can get it from there. I'll have to experiment with the different speeds, the faster the better!!

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Jibba jabba said:

looks like diffrent speeds run of the neutral

What makes you think that mate?

To my mind the N is the neutral and that way you have the capacitor in series with the Aux winding as it should be

Swapping the neutral would put the cap in series with the main winding and the direction will reverse 

@bearukc check the air is flowing the right way mate I know you don’t want technical details lol

1 person likes this

@Davey Jones Thanks mate. Nice and simple does it!!

1 person likes this

How should it go then @Davey Jones

I know my terminology is off, but sure that is right? no?

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Jibba jabba said:

looks like diffrent speeds run of the neutral,

Very unlikely unless it's a us import (Yanks being the cheap fucks they are like to switch neutrals )

1 minute ago, monkeypig said:

Very unlikely unless it's a us import (Yanks being the cheap fucks they are like to switch neutrals )

It's a German made Ruck fan.

Posted (edited)

You have it right @Jibba jabbamate 

Just swapping the neutral will change the direction as you add the phase shift to the winding 

It’s possible the speeds and torques will change depends on the winding resistances but I reckon with that funky connection the windings are identical 

the reason I asked what made you think that was maybe you had read it from the manufacturer or had secret knowledge lol 

Edited by Davey Jones
1 person likes this

In which case if it were two speed it would be the phase side that determined the speed. @Davey Jones being the electrical engineer would know best.

Not claiming to be an expert, not doubting anyone’s knowledge,

just wanted to help,

I thought it was a two speed fan that all,

:yinyang::skin_up:Jj

2 people like this

@Jibba jabba sorry mate I didn’t mean to upset you or undermine you mate, you could be right that the speed might change hence me asking. No ones an expert in anything we are all n00bs!

@monkeypig

I am a drives and power electronics man, machines I don’t know that much about. I know enough to be dangerous but my lack

of machines knowledge causes me trouble on an almost daily basis 

To alter the speed of an induction motor is tricky either alter the frequency with an inverter which you have to be careful as the reactance of the capacitor changes which alters the torque, voltage control with a variac is the other option just it’s not as efficient 

with a PSC motor the phase shifted winding creates the torque, a single phase supply doesn’t generate a rotating field you could manually spin the machine to start it and only one winding is needed but there wont won’t be much torque 

I used to know far more about PSC motors but I think I did too much gear in recent years it’s all a bit hazy and I just used MATLAB to confirm the motor reverses when we swap the cap to the other winding lol 

It definitely reverses lol so that’s a relief lol 

1 person likes this

All done and blowing strong in the right direction. Thanks guys :D

Now to replace the fan, filter and ducting in the grow shed!! It was running at 35c the other evening!!

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

sorry mate I didn’t mean to upset you or undermine you mate,

Your cool mate, I just take things the wrong way sometimes,I am just not to great at talking typing, I do understand what you meant tho.:D

Glad you got it sorted @bearukc :smokin:

2 people like this