Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

platinumbud

New to LED lighting tips on the lack of temperatures

37 posts in this topic

Please can I get some information on how to avoid problems from starting new with led ?maybe only using for when it’s warm but I have heard people say you have to get used to growing by led if you have been used to using hps or cmh, does it cause problems not having much heat ? 

1 hour ago, platinumbud said:

Please can I get some information on how to avoid problems from starting new with led ?maybe only using for when it’s warm but I have heard people say you have to get used to growing by led if you have been used to using hps or cmh, does it cause problems not having much heat ? 

Don’t worry, if it’s too cold just put more led lights in! 

Led grown plants like higher temps btw

1 person likes this

Do they need above 25c ? Or is there a better temp to have 

How many watts are you running @platinumbud? Did you get some hlg boards?

If it helps I have 3 boards over 1m area. Light right at the top, I would rather have it higher and let the plants grow to the sweet spot than lower and bleach the plants.

Also a fan is screwed to the roof opposite end to the extraction so most of the heat is exhausted. Jj

1 person likes this

3 tips.

1. Never put the light closer than 18". Start at 30".

2. Calmag is not the answer to everthing.

3. A small fan at the top blowing down ups leaf temps, get a laser thermometer.

4 people like this

Hi @platinumbud 

Yes they are a litte different from your traditional lights but easy to adjust to.

I agree with @Jibba jabba multiple units is probably the way to go :thumsup: I thought about getting 2x 450 but went for the 900 ! In hindsight 2x450 would have given better coverage..:naughty:

Sorry @Key not sure I agree with  point 1 I have found that I can get them at as little as 10/15cm away with no I'll effect in veg and 20/30cm with bloom on . But every light is different as is each run. As j j mention it's all abouts the sweet spot :hippy:

2 and 3 spot on for some reason every man and his dog seems to think a dose of calmag is the cure for all !:yawn:       in my experience in a hard watter area!  I get no deficiency under led 

Good luck with endevers what ever way you go :thumsup:

Heat in winter can be a pain but a good electric blanket reallllllllyyyyyyyyy helps.

Atb 

4 people like this

For quantum board kits ie 250 watts at full power key is spot on with the distances. 300watts+ double the distance. Applies to these particular panels. My grow cab is normally 24/26c max. Never any problems with to much heat or lack off.

2 people like this

@Key nice to see you have landed. Hope all goes well for you.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Not sure about all LEDs but my LEDs give minimal stretch when flowering..

Oh and buy some shades lol my eyes are screwed from my Leds and ive Only been using them a year.

9 hours ago, Madmungo said:

Led grown plants like higher temps btw

Really? lol

1 hour ago, Key said:

1. Never put the light closer than 18". Start at 30".

2. Calmag is not the answer to everthing.

Spot on! 

Atb

JJ

Edited by JamJar
4 people like this

@JamJar that is correct about 28/30c is what they really like, I run cooler at 24/26c not as optimum but suits my setup. Reason is the UV or IR (really can't recall nor care lol) from hps has the leaves warmer and led isn't using uv/ir

1: keep you’re tent/grow room at 27c minimum

2: Hanging distance is very important. Get a cheap lux meter of *bay. Anything up to 30,000 lux max for veg anything up to 58,000 lux max for flowering, roughly speaking.

If you hang you’re lights so that you’re plants are getting 58k lux on day 1 of flowering you will burn them. Gently work your plants up the lux levels through the grow by adjusting the hanging height & using the dimmer if you have one.

I generally start off with a 50cm hanging height & then slowly turn my lights upto the desired max wattage over the first two weeks of flowering. After the 3rd week (once the stretch is over) I start to lower my lights bit by bit. I don't go any lower than 30cm but I am using cobs so hot spot intensity is a consideration.

3: Have some Calmag on standby. I have found that my plants have become deficient in either calcium of magnesium with some nutrient base lines I’ve used in the past.

I don’t have any issues with the line I am using at the moment but it can’t hurt to have a small bottle just in case.

I did read somewhere another growing claiming that the deficiencies people experience when growing with LED’s is caused by their grow room temperatures being too low. Don’t know if there is any truth in that or not.

Other than that, you should be golden.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@tokenroll leaf temps are we talking? There no way i cpuld have my ambient temps at 28-30 my plants would twist there little nobs off. Thats from my experience.. Maybe its due to my lower RH than the usual groom lol. 

Ive always had my ambient temps sit at around 24-25 lights on and 19-20 lights off. Root temps always above 19 usually sit at 20. 

Each to there own and that but trying to get ur groom up in the high 20s when using LEDs is guna cost alot in heating.  Its all Well and good saying just add more led power but then u have to take into account distance from tops of plants.. Otherwise u will get bleaching and Sunburn which we know can look like anything.

Not arguing just debating due to my dwy off tofay why not.. Oh and tokenroll this wasnt all aimed at you just the top bit lol

Atb

JJ

Edited by JamJar
4 people like this

Yeah, I run tube heaters in my grows quite a lot which does cost. By my rough calculations its still cheaper to run than hps but it is a pain keeping the temps up.

Its not so bad at this time of year but come winter I have heating on at lights on all the way through till lights off.

In my experience though its worth it. The ladies are happier at the higher temps.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@JamJar yeah as I mentioned above im always at 24/26c lights on. Lights out usually 20/21c just what ever heat is in the house. 

Don't worry im not easy offended lol.

Toke..

Edited by tokenroll
2 people like this

7 hours ago, Jibba jabba said:

How many watts are you running @platinumbud? Did you get some hlg boards?

If it helps I have 3 boards over 1m area. Light right at the top, I would rather have it higher and let the plants grow to the sweet spot than lower and bleach the plants.

Also a fan is screwed to the roof opposite end to the extraction so most of the heat is exhausted. Jj

Yes mate I bought 1 260w kit and 2 extra v2 boards and a driver and 50cm x 30cm x 8mm aluminium plate they are hlg ones 

3 people like this