Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

billys big box room bonanza

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

bit more progress today, sanded all the walls and ceilings doewn, and cut in the corners in white, before grabbinig another paint tub and having a quick look, in the dark of the room and going "oh yeah that looks white n all. BUt as you can see its magnolia. woops.

Never mind its to get another coat or 2 anyway (of white), so it will do as a sealer coat, yes that's it, a sealer coat ahem. 

Ive also fitted the 2x1 timbers to hold the lights. These are screwed through the plasterboard into the roof trusses, and are spaced from the back wall, 70mm, then 120mm then another one 70mm from the other wall, leaving a space of 100, between the 120 one and the 70 one, got that? good. 

So if I want I can run 6 lights, but will more likely just run 4, I think that will be plenty. Altho there is a fair old space at the door end where I could put another light and do a tree. oooooh I like trees.

SO todays pics show the ceiling timbers for  light hanging , and the ones on the walls are gonna be for a hinged scrog frame (not yet built, but ive plonked a few grids in there to give you an idea.)

WIll obviously paint in all the 2x1s when I coat evertrything again - white this time

large_gr24.jpglarge_gr21.jpglarge_gr22.jpg

There is still room to squeeze between the grids on both side walls to get to the end wall, if that makes sense.

The scrog frames will be 300mm from the top of my big 60 litre bubbler totes.

Taking shape, looks more like a room

Edited by badbillybob
8 people like this

well, a bit more progress. The extra hinges and hasp are fitted to the door. No handles till tomorrow, unfortunately.

Todays entertainment was fitting the 70mm skirtings - I say skirtings they are just off the saw treated timber, nuthin fancy. Its a grow room, not a living room as I keep telling myself.

I also got some 100 mm vine eyes, which I will try out for hanging the lights from (lights will be on chains and carabinas, ive always done it this way, and its secure and safe). Those cheap shitty hangers , the ratchet ones on string ive had snap before. Chain wont snap. I also insulated the door and sheeted it with OSB, cant remember if I told you already, but ihave.

Ive also painted the walls, skirtings and 2x1 timbers  with 2 coats of brilliant white matt emulsion. Its looking all white - see what I did there? ahhh fergeddit.

herss todays progress picslarge_gr27.jpglarge_gr26.jpg

Not much difference, but its getting there. 

9 people like this

Late to the party as usual but worth dropping in to see what mischief you're up to and....:shock:...WOW!!

Beautiful build mate, though I think 'knocking up a small box room in the garage 'cos you're bored' is stretching things a bit.........:rofl:

I'd give my eye teeth for a space like that, and considering there's only nine left in my gob that is one hell of a sacrifice......:rofl:

Good luck with the fitting out, remember the Pi formula when it comes to vent holes bud, one 12 is larger than two 8s (I'm sure you're already on it)....:yep:

I was gonna lurk in a dark corner and watch progress, but you haven't left any (dark corners) so I'll just chill right here in the middle.......;)

2 people like this

I need them ceilings :realcool:

1 person likes this

Thanks for popping in fellahs. 

Yeah I wanted some head room, because my totes are 75mm from the deck, and I fancy doing a tree or two in there, depending on the heat.

Im not sure about the ventilation to be honest, which is why ive left it so far,  other than im gonna have an 8 inch RVK A1 intake and a 12 inch rvk out take, worked of a variac twin fan controller.

My thinking so far.....I think the 8 inich will be placed outside the room in in insulated box, with duct into the centre of the room at the back wall

The 12 incher will be located inside the room, on top of an old speaker stand I have and will go -  filter, - 12 inch  fan, - 12 iinch silencer, -duct  reducer 12 to to 8 inch, then 8 inch duct  out of the top of the room to dissipate by the soffit outside.
I know what you are thinking, 8 inch out wont be enough,

but im also gonna have another 12 inch extract fan/filter in the room, on a stand vertically fixed - will be filter, 12 inch fan, reducer 12 to  to 8 inch -  8 inch silencer - 8 inch duct out the room,  also worked off a separate  one fan variac controller.

This way, I am hoping that the 12 inch fans will just be working at about 60%-80% and not howling at full pelt.

You might wonder why im using the 8 inch ducting and reducers, and one 8 and one 12 inch silencer but its just what ive got.. And im skint.

Im willing to listen , if anyone has an alternative, or even if you think this will work well or not?

3 people like this

bit more graft, scrog frames made up.

just plonked them in place, not even sure if I will use them to be honest., 

Its a bit of a tight squeeze for my fat arse getting down the middle to be honest.

also got the light chains and fixing eyes hung. 

At this rate I could have plants in there next week, but will have to wait for the variacs (on back order), before I can make up my controllers,

This will probably be the last update till electrics and ducting/ fans are installed.

more pics

2nd pic is looking from the door, ive designated it tree corner already. ha halarge_gr31.jpglarge_gr30.jpg

7 people like this

Looking seriously good, your box rooms bigger than my eldest lads bedroom, emmm 21 years old time he got fucked out I reckon lol. Im off to crawl back into my mini  badbillybob grow cab and huff..

Toke,...

2 people like this

ive decided to bin one of the scrog frames.

Well, not bin it exactly, more modify it.

. I will cut the length of it down to fit and then add it to the one on the right hand side wall, which will extend it to the full length of the room on that side, so it will be  4metres. of scrog under 3 lights. it will go where the ladder is in the pic above.

There is no way id manage to squeeze my fat ass in between the two frames to get to the plants to tuck them under etc, which was the deciding factor, so I will screen half the room and the other half will be used for either a couple of big trees or I will put the rdwc 4 pot system  in there and just grow normally.

The left hand side of the room is shorter due to the door anyway, so my existing 2.4 metre long system should fit in there fine. (but ive no cash for a chiller, so it will be a big gamble)

Anyway that's the latest plan, could all change by tomorrow ha ha, its an ever-evolving space.

started cutting out my enclosure box for variac controller today, but still waiting for variacs.

mon the variacs

Edited by badbillybob
4 people like this

Are the variacs  Ravistat,from India?

1 person likes this

yes mate, they are, why?

Got the vent holes cut today, 8 inch in 12 out so far. Had to order some 12 inch  ducting.

Found my hole saws too, which is a bonus, cos ill be needing them soon.

Ive got some old steel crating bars which im fashioning into a ballast  and contactor holder today too, Quite handy cos they keep the bottom of the ballasts off the wall, so the heat will dissipate better.

oh yeah, I also altered the scrog frames to fit the back wall, end to end. will be better I reckon 

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

Looking the bollocks m8 :notworthy:

here are the duct holes into the room I am planning hanging the intake fan from the wall low level (ignore the 12-8 reducer, its just there so I can block the hole till its ducted etc)large_gr2.jpglarge_gr3.jpg

and the out take. Ive decided to go with the same size hole as the out take fan, which will be roughly where the brush is sitting in the pic.large_gr1.jpg

next up the altered screen of dreams. I m currently thinking 4 plants under the screen and a couple down the side.

I will definitely be doing less than 9 in total, due to sentencing guidelines, and the fact that I quite enjoy being free.large_gr4.jpgand finally my ballast rail and timer box mounting.

large_gr6.jpg

Edited by badbillybob
4 people like this

Starting to get a semi now.........:wassnnme:

:rofl::rofl:

2 people like this

19 hours ago, badbillybob said:

yes mate, they are, why?

Just curious. I use a 5 step controller,but I'm wondering if I would have better control with a variac. Doing a grand job with the build :yep: ATB.

1 person likes this

if your controller doesn't buzz/ hum then it must be decent enough.

Ive seen some for sale but they are manually controlled rather than working off a brain/controller which senses the temps etc.

I built one before and it worked great, no fan humming or buzzing or any of that shit. 

I also used to use an ecotechnics controller on a 6 inch intake and 8 inch out take and they never buzzed or hummed, but with the 8 in and 12 out it sounds bloody awefull buzzing away constantly. The buzzing is as loud as the extracting air, or worse, so im going back to the variacs

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this