Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ronaldo49

Ground wire not needed for fan?

So i bought an 8 inch can max fan pro which needs to have a plug wired. I realised theres no ground wire which i thought was odd but greens said thats how its supposed to be. I dont know much about electricity so im hoping someone can explain why the ground wire isn't necessary. Thanks

Double insulated appliances don't need to be earthed.

2 people like this

Beat me to it mate

Class II

Class II symbol
A Class II or double insulated electrical appliance is one which has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth (ground).

The basic requirement is that no single failure can result in dangerous voltage becoming exposed so that it might cause an electric shock and that this is achieved without relying on an earthed metal casing. This is usually achieved at least in part by having at least two layers of insulating material between live parts and the user, or by using reinforced insulation.

In Europe, a double insulated appliance must be labelled Class II or double insulated or bear the double insulation symbol (a square inside another square).

Insulated AC/DC power supplies (such as cell-phone chargers) are typically designated as Class II, meaning that the DC output wires are isolated from the AC input. The designation "Class II" should not be confused with the designation "Class 2", as the latter is unrelated to insulation (it originates from standard UL 1310, setting limits on maximum output voltage/current/power).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

3 people like this

Great thanks for that. When i buy a plug for it are some better than others or are they all pretty much the same?