Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MicroDoser

Missing cherry stones, any ideas?

So I sowed some cherry stones in 10cm pots to either bonsai them or plant out to get cherries but when I came back 3 days later they were not in their pots and had gone. I spread out the compost onto the potting table and there was no sign at all of the cherry stones. The compost had not been disturbed except for one pot which was why I looked. They were also in a plastic tray with 10cm of water in it which AFAIK is an effective barrier to most insects in the UK, especially ones that could eat a cherry stone.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might have happened to them? Is there anything in the UK that would pick them out of the compost which is not a human?

The polytunnel has a latch which is too high for small children to reach and it was closed when I returned and I would have thought an animal would have made more mess.

I am rather disappointed as they were stones I had saved for a year and a half waiting for the right time to plant them out.

It was aliens. :alien:  

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, Saddam said:

It was aliens. :alien:  

At this stage I am willing to consider any possibility.

1 person likes this

cherry fairy :yes:

3 people like this

Birds or mice at a guess. :yes:

2 people like this

Cherry picking locals?

Envious neighbour who perhaps wants to keep the crown of Cherry Growing King.

Phone the cops and tell em someone has taken your cherry. :)

1 person likes this

Squirrels.

1 person likes this

Fastidious squirrels at that. my allotment site hedge, and the rest of the park, have cherry trees and it's easy to find hundreds of cherry stones with a hole in them where the mice have eaten out the kernels.  They like to eat them under cover to avoid predators so maybe search anywhere likely nearby?

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

hundreds of cherry stones with a hole in them where the mice have eaten out the kernels

Second strike for mice. I have been told we do have mice on the allotment. I now germinate seeds on a shelf, instead of lower down...

Between the mice and the slugs, they have done quite a number on the young things in the polytunnel.

I have more seeds though, and a plan for beer slug traps, and some rodent killing cubes under the sink.

1 person likes this