Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stillo

Advice again please

20 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon Akpog

I cannot possibly get a 12 inch vent pipe out of my loft nor in to my tent , i have a 4 inch diameter pipe that runs through my loft and goes to the outside through the eaves, this will be used for air intake will this not do? my exhaust pipe is 4 inch and it is about a 3 meter run on a 4 inch fan, please forgive me as i have never set anything like this up before but i am willing to make changes now as i don't want to make them later, thanks for the fantastic advice to you both so far

Take care.
Stillo

1 person likes this

Don't worry stillo, you've already said that you've insulated your loft to a high standard - well above joist level. This means that as well as well as your loft staying warm in winter, it'll be cool in the summer. Plus, because you've also got an LED light, you're not worrying about removing hot air, only stale air.

You've got a lot more leeway with your extraction options than you probably realise. You can just add a second passive intake that just pulls from the room. A better option would be to get a fan speed controller plug, and just turn your fan down a bit, but I'd recommend adding a second intake regardless (that pulls from the room), even if it's just to swap between during the winter. If the outside air is too cold in the winter you can always disconnect the fan from the outside intake, keep the ducting lying in situ, and just intake from inside the loft. The 2-3x bigger intake than extraction rule isn't so much about giving the plants fresh air than it is to ensure that fans aren't working harder than they need to. Having good extraction is more important for larger plant and light numbers. You've got one plant in a small tent. You can literally do it how you want.

There are no hard and fast rules about it needing to come from outside, and gererally people only feel the need to if they're struggling with high temps from inside the tent (usually HPS lighting). It's only when you're dealing with more plant numbers and hotter lights that extraction becomes a science. You really don't have to worry about jack shit for one plant especially as you've insulated well and are using an LED. It's gonna breath the air from the house fine, just like you do. Just be careful not to have the walls sucking in too much, as AKPOG said.

1 person likes this

Once again excellent advice gratefully received and putting my mind at rest i was just thinking about not bothering altogether with needing fans here there and everywhere, would it better if i put a grill in a cupboard in the ceiling in my bathroom leading to my loft so that i can draw air in from the house to the intake side and use the pipe that was ventilation to extract the stale air to outside rather that putting it in to my house.

If this does not make sense i will try to explain it a little better please let me know and thank you for the great advice, i m a little worried that the hot stale air to the outside may attract attention to the Helicopter thats why i was goint to put it in to my house

Take Care

Stillo

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure how much difference it'll make, but that is what I'd actually do myself personally. That way helps remove moisture/humidity from your tent (and thus from your house), which is my preferred method anyway (to draw from inside the house and exhaust out of the house), but I'm dealing with some serious heat from my lights. My bulbs make oven gloves smoke.

You really don't have to worry about heat signatures with LED lights. The temperature of the air you're extracting is going to be pretty much the same (if not cooler on hot days). Sure it'll be stale, but it won't be hot. Even in mid winter, there's not going to be anywhere near the heat needed to be coming out of your vent to raise any suspicions. It'll pretty much be room temperature :yep:

Edited by SevernValleySavant
2 people like this

Fantastic replies i am eternally regretful for your assistance. missus is taking me to wickes now to buy some timber to start the build, Hospital tomorrow morning then home to insulate and put the floor down

Thanks a million Take Care

Stillo

1 person likes this