Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stillo

Advice again please

20 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place I'm new to these forums and I'm just finding my way around at the moment I have a sight problem so I struggle to see things please don't get mad at me, I have a couple of questions I hope someone may be able to help me with and they are.

1 I have a four-inch vent pipe in my loft that goest to the atmosphere through my eaves this will be going into my grow tent and in my loft to provide fresh air do I need to attach a fan onto the end of this pipe to draw in the fresh air.

2 I have a four-inch S&P TD 160 fan for the extraction connected to four-inch insulated pipe do I need to put the carbon filter inside my tent can I place it outside the tent, would it also be beneficial to put in a  second carbon filter is#as my next-door neighbor works in a prison and I'm sure she knows the smell of cannabis so I'm a little paranoid.

3 both the air intake and exhaust pipes will be laid under chipboard in my loft will that be a problem will it cause any noise I would I be better leaving laid on the floor.

I know I will have many more questions  but at the moment i am just in the process of preparing my loft as I have nowhere else to grow so it's only a very small group space.

Thanks for any advice it's very much appreciated im off upstairs now to get black be back in about an hour.

Regards.
David

You don't necessarily need an intake fan but most people do run one. I don't think that 2 carbon filters will help, one good carbon filter should be enough, though some people do run a smaller carbon filter on their intake to make sure no dust/pests are entering the tent. & if you're running the ducting under floors etc you need to be aware that the longer the exhaust, the more bends, the less effective it is going to be. 

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for the reply there will be no bends in the  exhaust or intake pipe under the floor as i an raising the floor in the loft by 4 inch so that i can clear certain areas that are part of the fabric of the loft space and cannot be removed, the ducting will be about 3 to 4 meters in length.

The loft is fairly dusty so it may be worth a filter on the intake side but do you think i need to put a fan on it to draw in fresh air,or will the exhaust fan draw in fresh air when it expels the air from within the tent

Take care

Stillo

Posted (edited)

Carbon filter can be outside or in, doesn't matter mate. If you have it inside you'll need to suck through it. If it's on the outside you'll need to blow through it. In my opinion it's better to have the filter inside the tent and your fan connected to it on the outside.

I wouldn't worry about adding a carbon filter to the intake. If you want to stop anything being sucked into your tent via the intake you can just stretch/fix some tights over the hole.

When your fan sucks air out of your tent, the air pressure inside the tent is lowered, so in order to re-equalise the pressure, your tent will be sucking air back into it, through any holes or gaps in the tent. You'll notice that the sides of your tent will suck in when you step outside and close the door behind you - this is good, because it means that all none of the smell can escape. How much air pressure is lost, and therefore how much you need to help replace it is dependent on the size/power of the fan you're using to exhaust with.

4 inches is obviously small, but what size tent, and what light are you using? These things are all important to know if you want a decent answer. You might be ok with just your 4 inch, but that's assuming your tent is small and your light isn't too hot. What light are you using? You'll definitely need to buy another fan if you plan on using a 600W HPS. Also, lofts can get really hot in the summer, and really cold in the winter. If you can't keep the temperatures between 15C-30C at the absolute min/max, then you're going to come into all sorts of problems.

You shouldn't have any issues with noise from running the ducting under the chip board. The main causes of noise are fan vibrations and air whooshing. Fan vibrations can be mitigated with some basic DIY muffling/shock absorbing; plenty of guides and versions on here, (I just hang my fan from bungie cords). Air whooshing is dealt with by and acoustic ducting. Fan speed controllers help with both.

Photos and/or a detailed description of what you've got so far or what you're planning to get will help us massively in helping you with these specifics. In the mean time, spend some time reading through this Growroom Design section to get your head around it all. Most of us are following the same basic principles.

All the best.

Edited by SevernValleySavant
typos. typical
2 people like this

Thank you SevenValleySavant

My space is pretty small and i have nowhere else to grow, my tent is a secret jardine DS60 and it is 600x600x1400 so it is small i have a s&P TD160 fan i have a Rhino pro 4 inch filter i have 4 inch acoustic insulated ducting for both exhaust and ventilation and i have a Meizhi Led Grow Light Full Spectrum 450w that draws 250 watts from the wall.i have power and water in my loft

I am in the process of putting it all together at the moment and i am currently doing my loft out i intend to grow only 1 plant max 2 at a time mainly for pain relief as i struggle with a great deal of pain so i will be looking for smaller Yields or smaller plants, thank you for the excellent reply easy to understand for the newbie, if you can make any suggestion as to whether i need to change anything i would be very happy to hear them as i can make the changes before it is to late as i build my set up

Take Care

Stillo

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, stillo said:

Thank you SevenValleySavant

My space is pretty small and i have nowhere else to grow, my tent is a secret jardine DS60 and it is 600x600x1400 so it is small i have a s&P TD160 fan i have a Rhino pro 4 inch filter i have 4 inch acoustic insulated ducting for both exhaust and ventilation and i have a Meizhi Led Grow Light Full Spectrum 450w that draws 250 watts from the wall.i have power and water in my loft

I am in the process of putting it all together at the moment and i am currently doing my loft out i intend to grow only 1 plant max 2 at a time mainly for pain relief as i struggle with a great deal of pain so i will be looking for smaller Yields or smaller plants, thank you for the excellent reply easy to understand for the newbie, if you can make any suggestion as to whether i need to change anything i would be very happy to hear them as i can make the changes before it is to late as i build my set up

Take Care

Stillo

Very exciting stuff, I hope you get some decent harvests and enjoy the medical benefits. Starting a grow diary is a good way to get constant feedback, but if that's not your thing just make a post whenever you're in need of a 2nd opinion. :yep:

Also the good thing about growing canna is that you can put a plant into the flowering stage at any time - allowing us to predict it's final height, so don't feel too limited in your choice of strains 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the positive post, i would have no idea how to and  what to put in a diary as i have never done this before, i am only on my very beginning of my Journey but i am looking very much forward to it, i am struggling a little bit due to a genetic eye condition that has left me with limited vision but that wont deter me

Take care

Stillo

1 person likes this

No problem mate :yep:

I haven't grown in that small a space before, so I can't give you solid advice on this. BUT, I reckon you should be fine with what you have. Once summer is over, you're going to really need to add some heat in there though (unless your loft is really well insulated), as the temperature will drop down really low. Your LED isn't going to give off anywhere enough heat up there for them, but it's ideal for these summer months when the loft can get equally hot. For winter you could get a thermostatic plug and an oil radiator, but personally I'd suggest adding/replacing with a 250W (or maybe 400W) HPS and growing some autoflowers on a 24h light cycle. That'll keep your temperatures nice and stable, and if you go with a good breeder, you'll yield some lovely smoke nonetheless.

Good Morning

My loft is warm all through out the year it is very well insulated,i have 4 inch loft insulation under the chipboard and i have 4 inch Insulation in the rafters boarded over with cladding and the party wall will have either kingspan or polystyrene on it. although i favor kingspan due to possible fire risk

I have also packed the space where the rafters meet the wall with at least 2 foot of Rockwool as i cannot really get in to this space as it is so small and i will cover this space up with plasterboard therefore making a kind of box in my loft,i hope it does not get too hot but i am positive it will not get to cold

Take care have a good day

Stillo

That's about as insulated as it gets! Lovely stuff. 

Have you decided what growing medium you're going to be using yet?

Unless you have plumbing up there, I'd recommend soil for a few reasons. Other than the fact that it's the easiest and most forgiving for new growers, it's going to involve the least amount of water being lugged up there over any given period. I don't know how much of an issue carrying things up into lofts is with your condition, you may be able to manage any system you desire with your space and plants being small.

If you're only doing one plant and you have decent experience understanding/growing plants, you could always get yourself a single bubbler (DWC). Higher risk, but much higher reward. Have you looked into plant training or scrog nets?

Or would it all be more hassle than what you're looking to involve yourself in? How simple do you want to keep the grow vs how much do you want to learn and improve results?

Good Morning SevenValleySavanat

I am completely and utterly inexperienced and i have no clue whatsoever, i do have running water upstairs in the loft a i have removed an old water tank due to having a new boiler fitted and i asked for the pipe to be capped off so that it could be used at a later date,how lucky was that.

I think I would probably like to start growing with soil as it seems the most simplest although I am prepared to move on to more complicated systems at a later date, I have been reading the forums about what medium to use and i am still lost it looks like I may have to use all mix and bio bizz grow and bloom, would this be okay?.

I obviously would like to grow a small plant due to the space I have I don't know anything about scrog I have no idea about training plants but I'm sure I could learn quite easily the strain I would like to grow is going to be for pain, I have had a recommendation of a plant from another member that seems to fit the bill The strain is ewe-2 I understand this plan it's fairly small does not have a massive yield but will get me started and I shall just grow another plant After the first one is finished

I really do appreciate your help and advice please do feel free to stop if I'm being too much of a pest.

Take care.
Regards
Stillo

Honestly, don't worry stillo. I do feel free to stop, but out of all the people on here to help, you're definitely one worth helping. I just wish we didn't have to keep our hobbies underground. It would be so nice to just pop round and give you a hand, but the government would rather throw us both in a cage than let that happen.

If you have zero experience with plants in general, soil would most definitely be advisable. Any good soil will do (bio-bizz, canna-terra, plagron, clover, jacks magic etc), and you could make do with just soil, but after about 4 weeks, the plant will have rooted out it's container and used up most of the available nutrients in the soil. This is when the plant begins to pale, and lower leaves start to really pale and fall off. The key is to feed in low strengths once you see the signs of hunger, and gradually increase the strength of feeds as the plant gets bigger and hungrier.

Maximising your plant growth is all about providing the perfect balance of nutrients at the right strength and at the right times, reading your plant's signals and responding to them (as well as ensuring a proper wet/dry cycle). Blackpoolbouncer does it like a science, here is a diary of his for you to sink your teeth into. He grows in soil and has fantastic results from just a small room in a caravan.

It's alway good to keep things as simple as possible for your first grow, so I wouldn't advise training with a scrog net first time, as it involves quite a lot cutting and bending, and it's best to get a bit of experience with the plant first, before you start throwing layers of complication into it. If your first grow goes smooth, definitely look into getting yourself a single DWC bubbler and getting yourself a basic scrog net. You could double your yield in that space, easy.

I read your first thread and saw Breezus's recommendation. He definitely knows his strains, so you go some solid advice there. The only thing is, as you're growing to treat pain, you may not find the strain that does it for you until you've tried many different ones or even just grown out 10 of the same strain from the same pack; genetics are a lottery, and it can be hard finding that plant that does it for you. Once you have, you're going to want to take some cuttings of it so you can grow the exact same plant again. That's going to involve getting a separate area to keep a mother/clones....not something to worry about now, but maybe something to consider in the future.

All the best buddy.

1 person likes this

Good Afternoon SevenValleySavanat

I take everything on Board that you have said and i am here to learn not to cause any waves you lot are the experts and so far i have had some good advice.

People that seem to be really helpful especially you.and Breesus and of course all others who have given me valuble advice

My thanks go to breezes and yourself for making things so simple i cannot Wait to get started i have been in my loft getting things ready another week aor so and i should be there.
Hope to talk again

Take care.
Stillo

1 person likes this

One thing to add to the already champion advice you've been given is your passive intake, if you decide to go that way it needs to be 3 or more times larger than your extract diameter. Getting negative pressure is all good stuff, but if your tent is a lower budget one with plastic corners then too much inward pressure could cause a corner or more to crack, especially after a few months when they become more brittle. Not to mention not getting the air exchange needed.

In a loft however, opening your passive intakes on your tent will suck in hot air in the summer, causing temp issues, so I'd recommend an active intake.

Good luck whatever you choose :yinyang:

1 person likes this

Good call @AKPOG.

Once you've got yourself up to 50 posts, you can send direct personal messages to any of us. We're only a PM away. :yep:

1 person likes this