Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pollenlover

Glass Jars.

22 posts in this topic

As I'm back in the U.K now and a little bit out of touch. Where do you get decent sized, affordable glass jars for curing from? I've seen them about but they seem really expensive. I'm hoping a will need a few of them soon and I'm slightly regretting not cleaning mine up and transporting them back. Any help will be much appreciated amigos.

4 people like this

try places like poundland.... b*m bargains mate .... ive seen glass mason jars in there for a quid  or so  and theyre a good size too ......   if you need a REAL big jar,  try the local chippy  as they use them for pickled onions,  eggs etc  and are only too happy to  give them to you for free ... give  them a bloody good wash out  and   there ya go   :skin_up:

3 people like this

Go to Ikea.

The are pretty cheap, come in all sizes.

Last time I was there I filled half my trolly with jars, pushing it around I saw this scruffy guy with a trolly half full of glass jars too, I pointed him out to the wife and when he saw me looking at him, he looked a little guilty! He looked at me and saw I was a little scruffy too, had a trolly with loads of jars in it and started smiling, I smiled right back and we went happily about our way. Saw him later on in the store with his girl, pointing me and the wife out and smiling, they nodded to us, we both nodded back.

Don't forget to grab a jar of cloudberry jam when you are there.

8 people like this

I got mine from dunhelm's, they have loads of mason jars for a couple of quid each, up to 3L I think.

1 person likes this

I got my Kilner jars from Wilko's, they do loads of different sizes.

2 people like this

if you fancy splashing out  for a jar , you can get miron for quite cheep compared to the canna ones that are 20 for 500ml]

there are places in the u.k that do 1ltr of miron for around 8-10.

miron glass blocks uv ect .its good if you wanna leave you/a  jar out with a mix of strains in so you dont have to upset your stuff curing ect.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the responses there. I'll try a few of the above mentioned places. I've seen them locally but they were really expensive. Not sure about splashing out too much on them as I'm heavy handed and prone to accidents. 

Edited by pollenlover

Posted (edited)

Try an auction site, people sell their old Dowe Egbert jars.

I find they are as good as any out there.

Medium size, 400g holds about an oz. The big glass jar, 100g  holds maybe 2-3 oz.

Found 3 400g jars for 5 quid including postage.

They are quite cheap, and if you find someone near you then pick up a bargain.

Edited by MyDisplayName2000
More info added
2 people like this

Try your local charity shops pollen lover, the Mrs likes nosing around them and I've seen a variety of sealed type jars. Worth a try, and  cheap!

1 person likes this

Keep and Wash up ur Jam Jars from now on

Not a penny spent then 

lol

2 people like this

Corrr I love a good jar  :naughty:

+1 for the douwe egberts  :yep:

1 person likes this

I'm hoping I need as many as I can get my hands on. That would be a nice problem to have. Cheers everyone! Plenty of options now. Not that many shops round these ways. What there is is fairly limited. I'm gonna hang on to every glass vessel from now on. I love recycling and upcycling stuff and I've always got my head in charity shops, plenty of those round here, so I'll have a dig about.  I love a bargain. Kitted myself out with a new wardrobe recently. Picked up some quality stuff for a few quid from charity shops. Lot of rich folks in these parts. Picked up some nice furniture too. One mans rubbish and all that.

2 people like this

Charity shops are great, more so in the well off areas.

Up my way, the charity shops do have a good and cheap variety of glass containers. I did build up a collection but ended up using Douwe Egberts jars as the other half was getting the big 1000g jars for a tenner (with the coffee in there) Now got a decent collection but would like more of the 1000g jars.

1 person likes this

Asda and Tesco in the food storage section. Cheap and seal well, they are what they are for 3 quid for a big one. 

1 person likes this

I found they sell mason jars at a us place called luckyvitamin.com. 12 x 960ml jars at 12 odd quid but then add 10 quid shipping, still the cheapest i think ive found them. I've not ordered any yet myself so i'll feed back if/when i do.

1 person likes this