Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Slowking

Harvest uncertainty

Hello everyone,

I've lurked here for a while, joined a couple of months ago, lurked some more before posting now.

As a first time grower, I did my research but still ended up making the odd mistake, though nothing major as I have a low-expectations attitude about the maiden voyage. I feel on the verge of a potential major mistake by completely failing to identify when I should be harvesting. This is a case of a) being aware of the beginner error of seeing buds, getting excited and pulling b) reading information about pistils which suggests the majority of them turning to colour/curling in is an indicator it's ready, c) only recently getting a loupe and not really having a point of comparison for determining if the trichomes have gone cloudy or still appear clear (it might be pretty stupid that I struggle to differentiate regardless) and d) being just 56 days in on a strain which seems to average about a 70 days grow.

It is a Fastbuds Mexican Airlines auto, in case that matters, 45cm tall and grown under a Mars hydro reflector 480 positioned 30cm above on a 19/5 on-off cycle.

Here are some pictures. If you can let me know what you think, I'd be grateful. The last 4 waterings (1 every 3 days) have been plain water. Owed more to too many nutrients in earlier weeks than starting a pre-harvest flush. Hopefully I've got all relevant information here.

2n8rehg.jpg

2wqx53o.jpg

311km0l.jpg

34gufbk.jpg

2 people like this

Those trics in the last picture look mostly cloudy.

There sre more enlightened people on here will pop in soon and confirm but for me they look done.

Bio :)

1 person likes this

I would leave them for at least another week or two if it was me. Autos pack on a lot of weight in the last leg of their journey. See if you can let them go closer to the 70 day mark. Good Luck.

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Slowking said:

c) only recently getting a loupe and not really having a point of comparison for determining if the trichomes have gone cloudy or still appear clear (it might be pretty stupid that I struggle to differentiate regardless)

Try shading the area you're looking at with your hand, they're easier to see without direct light

2 people like this

Looking great.  It is harvestable now and would smoke very nicely, but if you let it run a bit longer it might put some more weight on.  If it was me I would probably harvest now, but then I am always down to virtually nothing by the time I finish a grow.

A lot of us feed only water for the last one or two waterings before harvest, but four in a row is a bit much, especially if you haven't decided when to harvest. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies everyone.

3 hours ago, squirrel said:

A lot of us feed only water for the last one or two waterings before harvest, but four in a row is a bit much, especially if you haven't decided when to harvest. 

I should clarify the extended water-only feed was because I overdid it on the nutrients, and by the time I would have resumed nutrients at a lower dose, it looked as though it might be time to start flushing. Supposing I gave it one more week to let it pack a bit more on, would it make sense to do one more nutrient feed (even if something small, like 1ml of biobizz bloom and top max in a litre) before a couple more plain waterings to see out the week?

Judging by the yellowing and withering of leaves which is noticeably more even compared to yesterday, the soil is near depleted of anything useful. In which case, would the effect of another week carrying on as I have been really do much for bud development, or would one last encore of feed be advised?

I've not done autos before. But looking at them I'd say another 6 to 10 days left for best results. 

The trichs look partly cloudy, but still many clear & quite a few white pistles & you might end up with a racey buzz, which most don't like.

Another week they'll pack on more weight & swell up and be more of a couch lock buzz.

You could get away with one more feed, although mine are pale/yellowing near harvest & I boost fed, which slowed it down a little but never stopped it. 

I have considered chopping as early as this on my last girl, as I had no smoke, so I took some samples to keep me going. I'd say that I'm glad I did, as I think I gained at least an extra 1/3rd extra weight & are twice as strong!

Good luck :yinyang:

2 people like this

How full are your stash jars.? If they're empty I'd pull a few colas and leave the rest for another week or so. :) Looks like a great effort first time round!

4 people like this

I would give her another week anyway.

Like bear said,if yer short on smoke pull a couple wee buds but imo it would be a shame to chop her now.

Another week will make all the difference and yel be glad you left her.

1 person likes this

Cheers everyone, feeling more relaxed about all this now. A harvest next week it will be :george: shall update with the results in the event anyone is interested!

3 people like this

We're always interested in bud pics around here, oh yes indeedy! :smoke:

Just a note for future reference, if you find you have overdone the nutes, feeding just water four times in a row is not really the right answer.  If I feed you an enormous roast dinner and you eat far too much, is starving you for the next four meals going to be good?   Perhaps skip one feed and then resume at a lower dose.  If you have gone completely mad and put half the bottle in, you can flush it out by saturating the medium and then pouring away the run off, but it's not ideal.

@AKPOG has an excellent point about a racey buzz if you harvest early, I've noticed that too.  I rather like it, but not all day every day.  It's something to do with the balance between THC and CBD I believe.

Enjoy!

1 person likes this

Harvested on day 64, here's how it looked the day prior.

408394_mexican-airlines-and-girl-scout-c

turned out at 140g wet, stems attached as pictured. forgive the noob trimming. not sure how much of the weight they account for, but if I can get something around 25g out of it dry I'll be happy.

411317_mexican-airlines-and-girl-scout-c

bonus picture of the girl scout cookies I started at the same time. It looked noticeably weaker than the Mexican Airlines even from the day they popped and all through the grow, so expectations for this has been even more modest. At the same time though, it is much frostier than the Mexican even if the pictures don't pick it up so well. Will likely harvest on the weekend. A few amber trichomes are visible and hopefully a few more will turn in the next couple of days.

411320_mexican-airlines-and-girl-scout-c

411319_mexican-airlines-and-girl-scout-c

4 people like this

Very nice, well done!  :band:

Trichs don't always turn amber, so don't rely on that too much to decide when to harvest.  Cloudy is the thing to aim for.  They can also turn brown, which I'm told means that they have gone past their best, though the chances of that happening in my GR are pretty low!  :skin_up:

Leaving the stems on is a good idea, it makes them easier to handle without wasting the sticky goodness on coating your fingers.  And also a good way to tell if they are properly dry is to bend a stem till it snaps.  If it makes an audible noise, they are ready, if not they needa bit longer.  Obviously that only works if you don't take the stems off!

1 person likes this

Thanks squirrel! I have fast learned not to take anything I read online as gospel, particularly where indicators have in reality been contradictory such as pistils suggesting it's time to harvest as per generic internet guide, but the trichomes suggesting it's not quite there yet, as per the very same generic internet guide.

I was a bit annoyed early in this growing experience at the vagueness of advice I would read around the net, instead preferring the sort of clear cut guidance mentioned above, but I have started to understand some more the idea that the do's and don'ts become kind of instinctive with more experience. It's going to be much easier the second time round I'm sure of it.

It will definitely be much easier the second time around. :yep:  It's always a steep learning curve, but now you have a solid foundation of knowing what the plants are supposed to look like at every stage of growth, and a good idea of how to control your environment.

I think the biggest problem for a new grower is not getting confused between different, incompatible methods.  I frequently find myself explaining that someone is coming unstuck because they are trying to use organic compost nutes in hydro, or trying to pH the runoff water in compost.

The vagueness is often because we are all completely off our faces on excellent weed. :skin_up:

Happy growing!