Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jigg

Looking for a little advice please

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I am new to growing, A friend has gifted me some lights to get me started (I already had everything else) for my first grow I'm looking at some autos. The problem is I have noticed the bulbs my friend have me are 600W hps is it ok to start some autos under some low watt cfls to start then do the rest of the grow with the hps bulbs or would it be better to order a new mh bulb for the veg then swap the bulbs at flowering. My friend has always grown autos and used hps for the whole grow just wondering what people here think. 

Thanks 

Edited by Jigg

I have the same bulb and if im honest, from seed to harvest, I never changed lighting or anything, 24/7 lighting, grew 6 plants in a small 120x120 tent and got decent yeilds from all 6, all seeds from dinafem too, on my second grow now, just 4 this time. same bulb 600w, and all 4 have started and looking great.

Thanks,

I think I'll just buy a couple of seeds for my first grow and see how it goes 

3 people like this

stick the hps in  from day 1.

autos need to get going quickly to reach a decent size for a reasonable harvest

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

stick the hps in  from day 1.

autos need to get going quickly to reach a decent size for a reasonable harvest

Thanks @badbillybob I was just worried I would need to buy a mh bulb to start before using my hps 

1 person likes this

I would advise to save your money and go HPS all the way through IMO.

8 minutes ago, Jigg said:

I am new to growing

As you are new to growing it is not likely you will push your plants to the limit of your light's spectrum or lumens, as such you would probably be wasting your money getting different bulbs/lights. Myself, I use a CFL 250W for cuttings which then go straight into HPS with no issues. I use the CFL as it is more gentle on new cuttings but your auto seeds will not need to be treated as softly as a cutting.

Later, when you have more experience, and then pretty much only if you feel the need, you could upgrade your lights then. You will have a better idea of which to buy, and why. Also, you will not be using the life of a bulb learning why you need it...

1 person likes this

Just dont get the hps too close to the seedlings and they will be fine - once they start to get a bit bigger then you can lower it.

1 person likes this

Sorry nut not sure if this has been asked yet..what bulb have you got? Veg, Flower or Dual Spec? Dual spectrum or Veg bulb would be fine I think but you do not wanna start of with a flowering spectrum bulb

4 hours ago, Ditch the Dealer said:

Sorry nut not sure if this has been asked yet..what bulb have you got? Veg, Flower or Dual Spec? Dual spectrum or Veg bulb would be fine I think but you do not wanna start of with a flowering spectrum bulb

Nothing wrong with it IMO. If all he has is a red spec bulb then that's perfectly acceptable to use, granted there might be a bit more stretch but I wouldn't go as far as to say do not start with one.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Fry said:

Nothing wrong with it IMO. If all he has is a red spec bulb then that's perfectly acceptable to use, granted there might be a bit more stretch but I wouldn't go as far as to say do not start with one.

So light spectrum has no importance? there is a difference between blue and red for maximum potential..otherwise we would be growing with candles no? lol

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Ditch the Dealer said:

So light spectrum has no importance? there is a difference between blue and red for maximum potential..otherwise we would be growing with candles no? lol

I never said that. I have used a red bulb all the way through before without any problems and I'm not the first, so like I said if a red bulb is all he has then it is ok to use. Candles, really?

I have veged with cfl, hps (normal and grolux dual spectrum), mh & cmh.

Really you will be fine using any of the above there is no problem using just a normal hps - as far as im concerned there was no difference with them and the dual spec one.  Also if plants get a bit tall just a bit of super cropping or trimming will sort that out.

2 people like this

The intensity of the light is far more important than the spectrum.  You can use any of MH, HPS or dual spectrum all the way through and the plants will grow beautifully.  Many people swear by MH for vegging and HPS for flowering, but it makes very little difference IME.