Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FarmerPalmersNT

Horizontal twin cmh reflector

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Considering a horizontal reflector to accommodate another 315 in my no till room next grow. Not many options out there. Currently got a lec/sunsytems remote. Have a spare maxibright ballast. Looking at the supernova. Any experiences? Would like the sunsytems twin but nobody stocks a remote version...

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT

Posted (edited)

Yep, that's the same one. Seen it on evilbay for 39.99. Seems to be the only option without butchering a single. 

Actually, on closer inspection it's not quite the same. Similar though.

It works fine for me in 1.2m square. It's the only one I actually know of without those adaptors. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm not getting adaptors. These things are so fussy in terms of contacts, too easy to pop a £70 lamp! I'm sticking with 1x315 greenpower lamp this grow, but want to see how a 942/930 combo works too.

Thanks for your input chap.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hijack but is there such thing as a twin reflector for a CMH and HPS together? or is it a case of butchering a twin cmh?

I only ask because was thinking of putting a 315w cmh with my 400w hps, not sure if my little 3ft x 3ft x 7ft room would handle the temps though especially in high summer.

Edited by Amnesia

I've used a 400w with the cmh, but just used 2 separate shades. You could easily replace one of the cmh holders in that one. The eBay one I saw is pretty much identical. Possibly not as good build quality I dunno.

2 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

I've used a 400w with the cmh, but just used 2 separate shades. You could easily replace one of the cmh holders in that one.

Hi @FarmerPalmersNT yes that would be no problem if my room was bigger, its only 3ft x 3ft x 7ft high so could only use the one shade. I use a 80cm Parabolic at the moment, i've seen somewhere on here that a grower has got 2 Parabolics and kind of joined them together but i could not even fit that in the room.

1 person likes this

I`ve got two of the single maxibright hoods but it`s taking up too much room so I`m just about to go outside and try to make one double out of them both, it looks like they are just bolted and screwed together so hopefully it will be straight forward. Only problem is the bulb length when lined up, they will have to be tilted down to accommodate each other.

1 hour ago, Amnesia said:

Hi @FarmerPalmersNT yes that would be no problem if my room was bigger, its only 3ft x 3ft x 7ft high so could only use the one shade. I use a 80cm Parabolic at the moment, i've seen somewhere on here that a grower has got 2 Parabolics and kind of joined them together but i could not even fit that in the room.

Hello mate, I`ve just changed my two hoods into one, pic below, but I don`t think you`ll have any luck with adding hps unless you make the position of the hps socket/bulb to one side of centre of the connection point as the hps bulb is much longer than cmh

large.5b13d5357f640_bothbulbendstogether2.jpg

6 people like this

@ratdogNice work fella, just wondering if it's possible to use the other spare reflector section to extend the hood and make a double length hood? :unsure:   I'd be worried about the amount of heat generated in that confined space and the close proximity of those CMH bulbs . They get mighty hot and the extra heat from one bulb could cause the other to pop. Also, the angle they're at means you're losing some of the light as it's not being reflected efficiently. Those are single jacket bulbs, yes?  If they go pop, it's not a nice mess to have to clear up, what with the mercury vapour and glass. :) 

2 people like this

@Saddam The hood could be longer I agree, I`ve bent the bulbs down quite a bit and it`s not ideal for reflection but needs must. Only time will tell.

1 person likes this

@Amnesia

large.5ae90b27387b9_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(1).jpg          large.5ae90b2bcb8df_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(2).jpg              

large.5ae90b42a6d86_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(4).jpg                large.5ae90b53619b0_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(5).jpg     

8 people like this