Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ronaldo49

Phonic trap ducting

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anybody has used phonic trap ducting? I was planning on using regular acoustic ducting but came across this and wondering if it's worth the extra money?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo49 said:

Just wondering if anybody has used phonic trap ducting? I was planning on using regular acoustic ducting but came across this and wondering if it's worth the extra money?

I bought some for my new set up, it's far superior to any I've used previously . Value is a perception thing but I thought it worth it personally.

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

Thanks for the input. The added cost isn't a big deal if it will work better than the standard acoustic ducting with the fiberglass insulation. I've alwaus used regular ducting since sound wasn't really an issue but its a big concern with my new setup. 

Also can you recommend any good online shops to buy it? Neither G&H or greens have it and im not familiar with any other european online stores. 

I got some. Pretty happy with it.

I'm not sure much difference when it comes to sound  the to conventional acoustic ducting. definitely not any worse.

I bought it so i dont have to deal with Fiberglass.

for that I'm happy to pay more. i found the fiber stuff despite my best efforts seem to get everywhere and well its nasty, irritating stuff.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ronaldo49 said:

Also can you recommend any good online shops to buy it? Neither G&H or greens have it and im not familiar with any other european online stores. 

If you put it in Google and check shopping there's several that are good , I don't want to spam but the shop that comes up in Yorkshire is very good 

Edited by Breezus

I highly recommend the  PhonicTrap ducting. I have tried using regular ducting too but found it was creating quite a bit of noise. Since switching to the Phonictrap the difference is immense. Can't hear a thing. I'm running both 6" and 8". I wouldn't go back to using anything else. If you do decide to go for it then make sure to really stretch it out to fully open it out. Makes a lot of difference. It is really compacted down when you open up the box. Oh and I bought mine off the famous auction website. Cheapest I could find.

All the best

Solly

1 person likes this

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to order some soon. Have an 8 inch Can max fan pro coming which isn't very loud so my ventilation should be nice and quiet.

1 person likes this

Acoustic ducting can be a pain but only when cutting it. Not sure of the brand I got but its pretty tough and not split despite being thrown around a lot. Once cut its easy to tape up the fibreglass enclosure.

Depends on how good the decibel levels are. If they are noticeably better than acoustic ducting I'd think about upgrading.

Will have to check it out.

Hi everyone, 

I've got some similar type of acoustic ducting called AIROS. 

Basically, like all acoustic ducting the inner core is perforated? So does smell leak out? I'm about to setup my new tent, with this ducting, but I don't want to set it all up & then find smells sucking through?

I usually have my fan on the outside of my tent, but even with the older type of acoustic ducting with pin holes in sucked smelly air through, so this perforated material will do even worse won't it?

Although this time I am wondering if I put my fan direct to my CF & blow air through the ducting, will the positive pressure stop the ducting sucking smelly air through?

Thanks in advance :yinyang:

32 minutes ago, AKPOG said:

Basically, like all acoustic ducting the inner core is perforated? So does smell leak out?

No it doesn't as the air will already have passed trough the carbon filter and the perforations are on the inside of the ducting

2 people like this

1 hour ago, ilikebigbuds said:

No it doesn't as the air will already have passed trough the carbon filter and the perforations are on the inside of the ducting

it also shouldn't leak smell , because the higher air pressure inside the ducting will prevent smell getting in through the perforations. it will be blowing outwards if anything, and like ilikebigbuds says, its already been scrubbed by the filter.

if your fan is sucking from outside the tent, then yes you will get smells coming through...BUT....if you check your acoustic ducting it should go from the inside perforated plastic, insulation solid plastic, then the outer layer. some cheap stuff doesn't include the 2nd plastic just under the outer layer, and that's where the smells can come in. 

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

Thanks for the comments guys, but have you seen the AIROS acoustic ducting?

The perforated breathable material is the  actual duct that connects to the fan (which is really breathable & not just pin holes!), then there is an insulation material (not rock wool), then a plastic outer coating.

So, to keep the smell away from the breathable duct do I need to seal the outer shell tight to the fan, perhaps even clamp it all as one?

I've always had my fan outside my tent in case it dies & needs replacing it is easier than doing it above 5 plants in flower!

But for this application I'm going to have to have the fan sealed to the CF inside the tent, so I hope my RVK's shell is sealed too & I don't need to replace my fan in a hurry.

1 person likes this

it will be easier to have the fan inside the tent , and if its blowing thru the ducting, the smell cannot get in to the ducting , because the air pressure inside the ducting is higher than the air pressure outside of the ducting. the air is blowing from the inside - out, if you get me.

Its also less stress on the fan doing it this way, as the fan only has the resistance of the carbon filter to contend with instead of all the duct if it was outside the tent, so your fan should last longer.

oh and seal your fan with duct tape round the centre joint, And seal the outer of the duct to the fan also.

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

On 24/09/2018 at 2:38 PM, badbillybob said:

it will be easier to have the fan inside the tent , and if its blowing thru the ducting, the smell cannot get in to the ducting , because the air pressure inside the ducting is higher than the air pressure outside of the ducting. the air is blowing from the inside - out, if you get me.

Its also less stress on the fan doing it this way, as the fan only has the resistance of the carbon filter to contend with instead of all the duct if it was outside the tent, so your fan should last longer.

oh and seal your fan with duct tape round the centre joint, And seal the outer of the duct to the fan also.

Thanks for the added tips mate. I've now setup my new budbox tent & have my fan & filter inside the tent as you, and others recommended. I do think it might be slightly more efficient with extraction to my old setup, but only slight.

However, the extraction air noise is at least twice that of having acoustic ducting between the filter & fan and fan to outside. This is because the filter is not acoustic & therefore you can hear the fan noise through the filter.

I will keep it this way now though, but I thought I'd mention it.

1 person likes this