Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mattyboy

Help thrips

Posted (edited)

Hi guys. First timer here. I noticed the tell tale silvery looking leaves and after thinking it was a DEF at first I now know it’s thrips. I’m in the uk so can’t get hold of Spinosad. People say use soap and water but not sure what to use to be honest and iv seen photos of some people half killing their crop. I’m in soil and keeping it around 25.c with 55%rh. Iv been trawling the web for about 5 hours to prepare for today’s assault on them and just want a decent way of fighting them. I watched the guy on YouTube talking about using cinnamon and wondered if anybody had any luck with that. I have some flying/crawling bug spray killer which I was thinking about just spraying around the room briefly. My plants are in veg and I would wash down after half an hour or so just Incase. Has anybody tried that ? I have blue sticky paper coming tomorrow as they are attracted to blue, and going to use double sided sticky tape on the main stem to catch them on the way up but would the spray harm the plants ???

new to the site and not sure how to upload pictures from my iPhone ?

Edited by Owderb
MOVED OUT OF NEW MEMBERS FORUM

Harkers works well for thrips. 

What stage are the plants at? 

Check the date of the OP. If he hasn't sorted it by now then he's in trouble lol

Owd

1 person likes this

lol

I have the same problem never had thrips before and now I've mixed led in n now there here the babies are 2nd week in to flower I've been using crop guard lamin aid th seems to be doing the job slow process though was wondering if there was other options here in the UK 

Apparently Pyrethrum 5EC 

i have just got some and applied. Will know more in a few days I guess.

@Mattyboy i run no-till organic soil and bugs seem to be thriving, especially thrips. I have learnt to live with them but there are measures you can put in place to fight them.

Amblyseius bugs will help fight thrip issues if hung from each plant but before using spray your plants with a thrip killing spray like Pyrethrum 5EC if not in flower.

I used a homemade concoction the other day to lower the thrip numbers, which consisted of Clove oil, diluted isopropyl and cinnamon sticks crushed in hot water and strained. The mix sprayed all over the plant.........Right under every single leaf.

This potion didn't killer that many of the thrips from inspection a day or two later when i was adding the Amblyseius preadatory bugs which should do a much better Job. No more killing spray should be added after adding the beneficial bugs.

Nemsy/nematodes in your soil can help to:pitchfork: