Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stummer

Fats

Know we need fats as part of our diet and its found pretty much in everything. There is the mention of "good fats" and "bad fats". Is this just a case of unsaturated being considered good and saturated being bad? Trying to keep my fat percentage mainly from what I know to be good fats, such as peanut butter and avocado. Not about to go out and eat McDonalds chips and think that's the sort of fat I want to be eating. Just when looking at different food to buy I'd like to know if it has a few grams of fat and quite a low saturated fat weight, would it lean more towards being considered a good fat source.

1 person likes this

Here is a easy answer...

Good fats are in vegatables and meat.

Bad fats are processed and require a factory to be refined and put in the food.

So chocolate biscuits - bad, atlantic salmon - good, big mac and fries - bad, rib eye steak and baked potato - good and so on.

What I have said is not perfect, but it is a good rule of thumb.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good fats or the majority of fat you should eat would be unsaturated fat and saturated fats are unhealthy in large quantities. You need some but not much.

Edited by pollenlover
1 person likes this

its generally having the correct ratio of fats. i think hemp seed oil has a ratio similar to a healthy human, which is why its such a healthy supplement

I understand stuff such as what is just considered bad food. It was more just looking at cuts of meat and seeing it had a little higher fat content although the unsaturated fat was still low. Overall I don't think I have too much to worry about, I am eating nothing processed at all. Literally just fresh vegetables and meats, lean cuts of meats as well. Just wondered if it would be correct to feel fine about eating saturated fat and just trying to keep the unsaturated as low as possible? Even then the saturated fat isn't going to be sky high anyway as its not anything processed like a frozen pizza or microwave burger.

1 person likes this

Unsaturated fats are generally as far as I'm aware, very good for you. It's trans fats you want to avoid, and eat saturated fats in moderation. Don't go looking for 'fat free' everything like a lot of stupid women do, most of those foods are loaded with sugar to make up for it. Focusing on one thing like 'fat is bad' is far too simplistic and quite counterproductive when taken to the extremes some do. The whole 'fat is bad' concept came around a few decades ago when nutritional data was poor and understandings of diet were incomplete. Fat has higher calories per gram than carbohydrate and protein, so people get that twisted.

Put it this way, I only drink whole or Jersey milk, and I eat cheese like it's going out of fashion. My cholesterol is 2.8 and my BMI is under 20. Don't listen to people that focus on specific nutrients. The focus should be on eating the foods that have been processed the least and are as close to their natural form as possible. So basically stuff that's fresh, organic and will decompose if you don't eat it soon.

I'd highly recommend the Netflix documentary by Michael Pollan, 'In Defense of Food' if you want to get a good idea about what I'm on about.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, SevernValleySavant said:

Unsaturated fats are generally as far as I'm aware, very good for you. It's trans fats you want to avoid, and eat saturated fats in moderation. Don't go looking for 'fat free' everything like a lot of stupid women do, most of those foods are loaded with sugar to make up for it. Focusing on one thing like 'fat is bad' is far too simplistic and quite counterproductive when taken to the extremes some do. The whole 'fat is bad' concept came around a few decades ago when nutritional data was poor and understandings of diet were incomplete. Fat has higher calories per gram than carbohydrate and protein, so people get that twisted.

Put it this way, I only drink whole or Jersey milk, and I eat cheese like it's going out of fashion. My cholesterol is 2.8 and my BMI is under 20. Don't listen to people that focus on specific nutrients. The focus should be on eating the foods that have been processed the least and are as close to their natural form as possible. So basically stuff that's fresh, organic and will decompose if you don't eat it soon.

I'd highly recommend the Netflix documentary by Michael Pollan, 'In Defense of Food' if you want to get a good idea about what I'm on about.

I am using an app to monitor what I'm eating, literally is fresh meat and vegetables. My fat percentage isn't even high enough really for me to be concerned. It's just wanting weight loss results faster I guess that's I even bothered to ask. As I said I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything, just want to try eat healthier. Through reading online I've just come across about trans fats, not seen that wrote down on nutritional information for a lot of products though. I know fats are in everything and we do need it, I add a little peanut butter to my oats in the morning so not fearing fats or anything. Just wanted to be sure what classes a fat as a good fat. If a lean cut of meat has some fat but a low saturated fat then no issues. 

I am eating 3 meals every day now, plus at least two pieces of fruit and drinking two litres of water. Have cut out gluten, stopped eating junk food such as microwave burgers, crisps, frozen pizza and also cut out all dairy. Started to introduce some cardio through the bike riding as well where as before I'd just walk the dogs a few miles. Although I've asked questions I'm not obsessing over my diet, if I am hungry I will eat, its just replacing the junk food with something healthier. I hold my hands up to having a few cinders when we had a barbeque but like I say I ain't trying to be a bodybuilder. Despite that and only recent really adding some miles with the bike, I jumped on the scales tonight and have lost a stone.

When it comes to putting weight back on hopefully as muscle, I'm gonna relax slightly and have the odd cheat meal. Although treating myself to a steak instead of a take away on a Friday feels like a cheat meal lol . For the most part though I'd just throw in an extra two healthy meals to bump the calories up. I couldn't imagine now going back to eating junk food every day of the week. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Unsaturated fats are from plant sources (generally) and are liquid at room temperature, e.g. olive oil  They are unsaturated because they have at least one double bond in their carbon hydrogen bonds.

Saturated fats are saturated with hydrogens, they have no double bonds, so each carbon atom is bound to as many hydrogens as it can be. They are from animal sources (usually) and are generally 'the bad fats' that cause high cholesterol. 

Lipids (fats) are really important in many of our cellular structures, particularly our ell membranes. They are composed of unsaturated fats as they don't pack as tightly together (because of double bonds) and have a fluid consistency. Saturated fats pack tightly together and lack fluidity, so vital parts of the membranes can't move as efficiently. 

Lots of other stuff, mostly to do with cholesterol levels. Main take away is unsaturated fats (omega 3 and 6, important as our bodies lack the enzymes to make them ourselves) good and from plants. Saturated tend to be bad and from animals, particularly red meats.

https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/nourishing-nutrients/the-ins-and-outs-of-unsaturated-fats/

If you are looking to lose weight quickly, I would recommend the ketogenic diet. Been on it ten weeks and lost a lot of weight. I won't be on it for a long time as it incorporates lots of bad fats but it's definitely effective.

Edited by Cursed
2 people like this

That's a good breakdown there.

Keto is a bit extreme for this guy though, don't you think @Cursed? I don't think he'd want to start replacing carbs with fats, he's just trying to figure out the basics, keto is quite a change of lifestyle!

1 person likes this

lol yeah keto is extreme, I just see lose weight and fast in a sentence and go straight there.

I'm veggie so I can't even just rely on meat. I'm eating soooooooooooo many eggs right now lol. Quorn and coffee are my best friend's right now.

1 person likes this

I have come across the keto diet. Stole an idea from it with their burgers, not going fully keto but just a way of making a burger taste better and not plain as not eating any bun with it. I am losing weight, probably not as fast as i would going keto but just switching to eating healthy and doing more exercise the weight is coming off. Can't lie I would like it to be faster though lol I am part of the microwave generation which wants everything fast. No matter what though I won't go back to eating junk food every day. Gotta hold my hands up to ordering a dominos last night though lol know I shouldn't have but sisters one smelt so dam nice. Thing is though I could only manage to eat a couple slices and threw the rest outside for the foxes. Before I would normally eat the lot, and it tasted nice when eating it just felt horrible for it though. Gonna be doing a monthly food shop before the weekend and have learnt more since my first order so should have things covered better. Going to make sure I am cycling a few miles 3 times a week, plus go swimming at least once a week. Still walking the dogs every day as well for a few miles. Every day am also banging out some push ups and sit ups. lol I hope I don't sound like someone who's fat, I have people telling me I don't even need to lose any weight. Thing is though I want to be more cut, be nice to look ripped. Once I've lost some weight will probably sign up to a gym and then try a clean bulk. Honestly this all came about just because I had enough of feeling bloat from eating gluten and decided to sort my diet out. Thought if gonna be eating healthier may as well include some exercise and get in shape.