Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ShaolinG

Oxypot XL vs RDWC

I'm hoping you can help me. I'm  trying to decide the best system for me and am stuck.

I definitely want to go hydro having only ever done soil before. I've got a 1.2m x 2.4 tent and intitally I had thought autopot would be the way to go but after lots of research I'm leaning towards either 4 of the Oxypot XL  (2 in each half of the tent) or going for a 4 pot R-DWC system (although there is the temptation to go for the 8 pot version and take some pots out if it' s too much?).

I'm looking at getting either of these set ups from growell as I've got all my other bits there.

The guy at the shop has suggested the 4 pot R-DWC system and the only thing that' s making me think twice is that the pots are 19litre oxypots. Compared with the Oxypot XL which has a 70 litre tank/pot, it seems small. I will be most likely sticking to 4 plants with a small possbility of doing a maximum of 8.

I guess my natural instinct is with the 19 litre pots on the R-DWC I may need to do about 6 plants in my grow space and if i tried to scrog it with only 4 19litre pots, it would take ages? So would need the extra 2 pots to speed things up. Is this about right? Whereas I'm imagining with the 4 Oxypot XLs, the plants would be able to grow bigger roots and therefore get better yield and quality.

It' s obviously a bit of a pain in the a** to fill up the 4 oxypot chambers instead of the 1 reservoir but I'm imagining it not being too difficult if I've cleared the lower branches as I could just get under my net to get access.

1 other issue regarding the Oxypot XLs is I'm not sure how to flush them weekly. Do i just get a pump and a bucket and access one of the sides of the pot? Is this quick and easy?

I'm reasonably confident of controlling the environment and will buy a nutrient chiller. I've looked at the hailea models which look good. I believe they can be used in either a reservoir or with the 4 oxypot XLs? And also will need a nutrient heater/s.

On a slight tangent, I've already ordered the autopot system from a shop but I haven't picked it up yet so I'll need to be relatively quick as I want to exchange it.

On another slight tangent, I've also thought of the potential to connect the 4 oxypot XLs And turn it into a big R-DWC system? But I'm not that handy, although I do have a toolbox so may need help from my brother if it went that route. And I don't want to mess it up. 

Anyway guys, that's enough. I know some of the questions may be a bit noob but I don't want to buy the wrong system (which I think I already did with the autopot).

Thanks,

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

well i wouldn't bother with the r-dwc, you could build a better system than that, for the same, or less money, check out my guide below.

oxypots have a decent sized capacity, but you wouldnt be able to use a chiller with them, as they are not a  linked system .

I would go down the diy rdwc  system, with chiller myself.

But if you just want to try it out first before making systems, id go oxypots, as you could use them later on in the making of a rdwc. -- actually scrub ---that id go to ikea, and buy 4-5 - 60 litre totes  and buy a 60 litre min air pump, lines and stones

I would do 4, maybe 5 maximum  in a 1.2 by 2.4.

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

try just a plain bubbler first to see how you get on. Don't put all your eggs in the one basket.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, ShaolinG said:

the only thing that' s making me think twice is that the pots are 19litre oxypots. Compared with the Oxypot XL which has a 70 litre tank/pot, it seems small. I will be most likely sticking to 4 plants with a small possbility of doing a maximum of 8.

I'm confused. If each bucket is 19ltrs, that's 4x19=76. So 76ltrs total res capacity vs 70ltrs right? If that's the case, then it's bigger than the XL...?

Posted (edited)

Hi severnvalleysavant,

Yes it's actually 4 Oxypot XLs so that makes 4x70 vs 4x19 litres

And cheers badbillybob, I'll def check out your build. How long do u think it'd roughly take to make the system you described? Also, I can't see the link for it

Thanks mate

Edited by ShaolinG
1 person likes this

2 people like this

Now I'm with you. Sorry for the derailment, I just had to clarify before offering anything. I think a big factor is going to be down to how often you're willing/able to do reservoir changes. The larger the reservoir, the less often you have to change the water. To some that's a good thing, to others, it affords them less direct control throughout the plant's stages of growth than being able to change the nutrients out every week or so. Unless you were willing to use (and waste) a lot of nutes, you'd need to keep res changes to a minimal with such a large system like that.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

if you had all the parts for the build you could build a system in a day- easy.

you will need totes (really useful boxes are good), drill, hole cutters, 40mm pipe, tank connectors, elbows, tees, -  21.5mm pipe,, elbows tees , a reducer from pump to 21.5mm pipe, solvent cement, drill for spray bar. I think that's it.

get itall cut and dry fitted first, then glue it together. leave it 24 hrs aand you are good to go.

if you need any help, just drop me a pm

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

Thanks badbillybob

1 person likes this