Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bazil brush

cornish pasties

90 posts in this topic

how healthy are they? ive been yamming them for a while as i like them and its maybe better than not eating. is this really bad?

2 people like this

Not very, lots of pastry. Plus what quality are we talking? Ginsters or proper artisan pasties? 

Ginsters will be full of shitty meat compared to say a bakery one.

I don't quite understand the question, it doesn't have to be a binary choice, pasty or nothing, just eat something else.

3 people like this

Whether or not this is really bad depends what you mean by yamming really!

Assuming you mean pretty much living on them, I wouldn't recommend it. But it's definitely better than not eating! Just try alternating between them and something a bit more "fresh/unprocessed". Variety is what you need in your diet.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, FlavourGarden said:

But it's definitely better than not eating!

Not necessarily, depends on how long were talking. Humans are actually built for fasting periods, genes that prolong your life get switched on when you lack food or enter a fasting state (foxo genes). Lots of research is just looking into them now and their life prolonging properties.

Reducing calorific intake can have a dramatically positive effect on metabolism, hormones and almost all biological functions. The American government commissioned studies in the 30s during the great depression. The researchers hypothesised that starvation states would be really bad for organisms but actually found the reverse to be true, it prolonged life :russian:

Eating too much crap i.e. living on pasties is probably way worse for you.

It leads to overloading of you insulin response leading to blood sugar spikes that are actually really bad for you (eventually results in diabetes, via obesity).

After researching it this year for a paper I changed my lifestyle completely. Genetically we have loads of mechanisms that kick in in times of food scarcity that deal with things like oxidative stress (the reason we age) and apoptosis (planned suicide of damaged or cancerous cells), insulin or more specifically, the insulin/insulin like growth factor pathway causes these genes to be switched off. So basically in the west we are literally killing ourselves with our diets. I'm not one for knee jerking but reading all this scared the shit out of me and has caused me to lose two stone, start exercising and change my diet completely. Low carb wherever possible.

Edit: if anyone wants to research any of this I've got about 30 papers looking at the role of these genes and how insulin and calorific intake affect them, let me know and I'll send them or point you in the right direction :yep:

Edit 2: sorry, that post got really technical and boring lol I apologise

Edited by Cursed
16 people like this

I heard that Cornish pasties don't have any carrots in them but the Devon pasties do? :unsure: I think they're fairly healthy, I rarely eat the crust as you aren't really supposed to, the crust  was just something to hold onto with grubby hands. Do you ever see pasties with a sweet filling/dessert at one end? 

2 people like this

They've got a special name, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Just popped in my head, their called clangers

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, FlavourGarden said:

But it's definitely better than not eating!

9 minutes ago, Cursed said:

Not necessarily, depends on how long were talking. Humans are actually built for fasting periods, genes that prolong your life get switched on when you lack food or enter a fasting state (foxo genes). Lots of research is just looking into them now and their life prolonging properties.

Indeed. I totally agree. Although I still stand by eating as being better than not eating! (read as "eating vs starving") :yinyang:

2 people like this

Five a day was supposed to be fruit and vegatables and not pasties/pies or pints.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Cursed said:

I don't quite understand the question, it doesn't have to be a binary choice, pasty or nothing, just eat something else.

autism

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Five a day was supposed to be fruit and vegatables and not pasties/pies or pints.

someone told me in the pub that five a day was invented because of an orange glut in america, you should get more than five a day i think, im terrible sometimes though, its hard work for me to eat anything sometimes, lots of fasting accidentally, still get id'd for booze at 40, i suppose my fasting does increase the telomeres so its all good even though i get a bit fucked and theological when it happens.

3 people like this

It’s the same for all processed food, fillings for pies and pasty’s are processed 2 or 3 times, any veg that was good for you has long lost its goodness.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, nl5 said:

It’s the same for all processed food, fillings for pies and pasty’s are processed 2 or 3 times, any veg that was good for you has long lost its goodness.

dammit. i figure its not really meat thats in there anymore so its kinda vegetarian.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, bazil brush said:

autism

Got ya :yep:

If possible, maybe try making your own and then you can control what goes in it?

3 people like this