Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ronaldo49

Ram air pro 2 fan controller

20 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anybody has used the ram air pro 2 fan controller? Im looking at that and the rhino controller. The rhino uses voltage stepping so there shouldnt be any fan hum but does the ram air cause any hum? Thanks for any input

It`s a bit pricey but the sms hybrid controller is the mutts nuts, wish I`d bought them years ago.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

It`s a bit pricey but the sms hybrid controller is the mutts nuts, wish I`d bought them years ago.

Yea i looked at that but I dont want to spend that much right now. Maybe in the future but need something cheaper for now.

Posted (edited)

@Ronaldo49 Hope you haven't bought the ram air mate, they're shit. My 8" hums like mad on anything less than 65%, can hear the buzzing over everything else and vibrates through the house, proper horrible.  Get a variac.

Edited by Fry
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that. Glad i didnt buy anything yet

Edited by Ronaldo49

I second the ram controller being shite. It makes anything hum, and for the 2nd release all they did was add a digital readout. 

1 hour ago, potato1356 said:

I second the ram controller being shite. It makes anything hum, and for the 2nd release all they did was add a digital readout. 

Glad i didnt waste 120 bucks. I think ill go with the rhino voltage stepping controller. 

Try and get an smscom hybrid controller second hand - they go all the time for cheap on auction sites and are the best there is. 

14 hours ago, potato1356 said:

Try and get an smscom hybrid controller second hand - they go all the time for cheap on auction sites and are the best there is. 

Ill look around but i really dont need a temp controlled unit. The rhino is just a simple voltage stepped controller and is only 120 bucks. I doubt even a used smscom hybrid would be around that price but ill look into it.

Have a look at the jdc-1000

automatic fan controller with temp probe.

125 quid

1 person likes this

Why pay £120 for a basic fan controller when you can get a temperature fan controller SMSCOM 4.5 AMP TWIN FAN SPEED CONTROLLER MK2 for £89 from Growell?

Just curious? :yep:

I've never used the Rhino,but for approx half that price,you could look at the STR 1.5amp (345watts) controller.Find it on ebay.

cause theyre a bit shit, the internals are the digital version of a transformer called a triac & dont work properly with a lot of fans because of the way the controller chops the electrical sine wave, get a transformer based controller instead.

2 hours ago, AKPOG said:

Why pay £120 for a basic fan controller when you can get a temperature fan controller SMSCOM 4.5 AMP TWIN FAN SPEED CONTROLLER MK2 for £89 from Growell?

Just curious? :yep:

Ive read that those will cause fan hum unless its the more expensive hybrid version. Is this not right?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ursus1000 said:

I've never used the Rhino,but for approx half that price,you could look at the STR 1.5amp (345watts) controller.Find it on ebay.

Thanks, ill have a look at that.