Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrjim

My Woodwork

67 posts in this topic
1 minute ago, Captain Bonglington said:

@mrjim.....Just seen this thread....Wow. :)

Absolutely stunning work mate, really beautiful stuff, puts my tinkerings to shame! lol

I have been wondering how long it would take before you found this like minded soul............:rofl::rofl:

1 person likes this

I've been on holiday mate, a whole week with no telly or internet. lol

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Captain Bonglington said:

@mrjim.....Just seen this thread....Wow. :)

Absolutely stunning work mate, really beautiful stuff, puts my tinkerings to shame! lol

Thank you! But I'm going to disagree with putting your stuff to shame, you have some fantastic work!

3 people like this

Thanks mate....:yep: But the level of skill shown in some of those pieces is way beyond my capability. :) 

Posted (edited)

@Captain Bonglington , @mrjim

I've been lurking these threads for ages - perhaps  you guys with tangible skills could give me some advice? (oh, and love your works, guys!)

What basic tools do I need to get started? I'm pretty ignorant on this subject, so just beginner level stuff I could make a box with or something to have a go. I'd like to use the bits of wood that I can't bring myself to burn in the wood-burner, or am not able to break. Sectioned bit of cherry tree trunk, for example.

I think it'd getting satisfaction from doing it all with manual tools, no powered ones. That even feasible?

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

Posted (edited)

@j.o.i.n.t.....

For the stuff I make, tools are fairly minimal....

Bigger cuts and planking are done using a chainsaw, or a Silky saw on slightly smaller stuff, or for little accurate, clean cuts. Then the sanding is done with either a belt sander, a random oscillating sander, or a detail sander, depending on the task at hand. Quite often I'll use the belt sander for stock removal, and the ROS to finish.

Major stock removal is done with an electric planer.

A drill is needed for screwing, and er, drilling....:yes: I have a set of hole boring bits for large holes. A drill is also handy for buffing the wood once it's waxed using a polishing bonnet.

None of the power tools I use are expensive, I just go for the cheapest, or second cheapest at a trade counter. My drill is from a German supermarket.

The stuff I make is rustic, and pretty basic, so a bare minimum of kit is needed, I'm sure @mrjim has a larger variety of kit, as  his work is considerably more intricate than mine. :yes:

You could do it all with hand tools, and hand sand it, it's feasible, just depends on your levels of time available and patience.

Edited by Captain Bonglington

Cheers, @Captain Bonglington, for feeding me the terms. :)

I'll show my fumbling efforts when I've braved a DIY place...and thanks again to you both for being part of the inspiration.

1 person likes this