Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrjim

My Woodwork

67 posts in this topic

Your resourcefulness and waste-not ethos is inspiring. If only there were more people like you in the world to really appreciate the wonderful materials around us and value the art of crafting things for yourself, rather than just consume, consume, consume. 

2 people like this

where do you  get the wood  from mate ?  there are some stunning looking grain in  them ..  reason i ask is  that i make knives  and  some of the wood in your projects  would look  amazing as scales on the knives ..

thanks

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

heres a few pics of my efforts ....NOTHING  compaired to your  skills mate ... a pic of 2 knives im working on ... one of a knife i made from an old file ...  and one of my bushcraft knife i made for myself ....

Edited by vortex

bloody pics dident load ...   try again  lol ....

large.5b0490a84b6c1_twoblades640x480.jpglarge.5b0490b54286a_fileknife640x480.jpglarge.5b0490c1dc128_multiwoodhandle640x480.jpg

6 people like this

21 hours ago, vortex said:

bloody pics dident load ...   try again  lol ....

large.5b0490a84b6c1_twoblades640x480.jpglarge.5b0490b54286a_fileknife640x480.jpglarge.5b0490c1dc128_multiwoodhandle640x480.jpg

Nice knives there mate! Im in the building trade so im lucky that i get most of my wood from refurb jobs. A great way to get some nice free wood is just go and ask any tree surgeons you see if you can have a couple of logs, rarely they will say no. I dont bother if they are just cutting connifers but thats how I got the laburnum I've used and a couple of other bits too.

2 people like this

22 hours ago, vortex said:

where do you  get the wood  from mate ?  there are some stunning looking grain in  them ..  reason i ask is  that i make knives  and  some of the wood in your projects  would look  amazing as scales on the knives ..

thanks

mate try timber off-cuts on ebay they used to do selections of maybe 10 types of timber for a few ££

2 people like this

nice one thanks .... i was looking at blank knife scales on ebay  and the price of some of them was flippin  stupid ...   haddent thought  about  tree surgeons . great tip  thanks

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, vortex said:

... i was looking at blank knife scales on ebay  and the price of some of them was flippin  stupid ...

I had a look at those mate ,I bet you they are buying those in the timber offcuts calling them  blank knife scales and charging 5 times the price

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

i bet they are too mate ..  looked at some ironwood  and spalted  stuff  ...  then saw the prise  and thought  ... NAAAA  lol

the wood grain on the front of the big bandsaw box is stunning mate ...  dosent  the grain pop  when  you add oil...   the wood looks totally different when oiled ahhh ?

Edited by vortex
1 person likes this

get one of these and nip into the local woods mate :wassnnme:

Related image

1 person likes this

Thanks to OldFord giving me some inspiration and great advice on the technical stuff, today I have built my first speaker. Heres some pics!

large.1.jpglarge.2.jpglarge.3.jpglarge.4.jpglarge.5.jpg

Not the best quality pics but you get the idea! I will try for better ones in proper daylight tomorrow.

7 people like this

haha   brilliant mate ...   hows the sound quality?   you will have to keep a  ...LOG...  of how it goes   ,   before ...BRANCHing out on your next project ... lol

7 people like this

Sound quality should be nice with no added resonance from the enclosure and hearing the speaker /  driver not the enclosure.      Very nice :) 

2 people like this

On 26/05/2018 at 11:44 PM, vortex said:

haha   brilliant mate ...   hows the sound quality?   you will have to keep a  ...LOG...  of how it goes   ,   before ...BRANCHing out on your next project ... lol

Love it, and the best part.... My nickname is Twig lol

1 person likes this

@mrjim.....Just seen this thread....Wow. :)

Absolutely stunning work mate, really beautiful stuff, puts my tinkerings to shame! lol

2 people like this