Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrjim

My Woodwork

67 posts in this topic

Have you ever tried to make a musical instrument? A guitar perhaps? Looks like you have the skills. :)  

2 people like this

This is just a small box, its made from reclaimed oak that was originally wood flooring.

large.20160514_192357.jpglarge.20160514_192403.jpglarge.20160514_192420.jpglarge.20160514_192511.jpg

12 people like this

6 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Have you ever tried to make a musical instrument? A guitar perhaps? Looks like you have the skills. :)  

An electric guitar is something I've wanted to make for a long time, its not happened yet but one day!

2 people like this

A couple of table lamps. The first is laburnum, the second is yew.

large.20160603_210532.jpglarge.20160603_230227.jpg

11 people like this

This is my all time favourite thing that I have made, a hand carved walking stick. It's carved from an ash branch and took countless hours. The best part is that I didnt have any carving chisels so the entire thing was carved with a regular 3/4 inch wood chisel.

large.20160529_123009.jpglarge.20160529_122946.jpglarge.20160529_122938.jpg

14 people like this

26 minutes ago, Saddam said:

I'm into a bit of luthiery when I find the time. 1st one complete, happy expect for the paint job. Next two in the pipeline and plenty of ideas kicking around. Will never be able to match a PRS though lol 

Only hard parts really are sanding and painting for me. I tend to run before I can walk though, so my own fault really!

2 people like this

That reclaimed oak box looks like it'll be great for dry sift :)

2 people like this

1 minute ago, j0eperry said:

Will never be able to match a PRS though lol 

That's amazing fella, do you have any pictures? :guitar:  Tbf, PRS are mostly made with CNC equipment nowadays, very precise but not what I'd call handmade. lol 

1 person likes this

Will try and upload them later bud. It's a PITA for me loading pictures just because of the way I have to do it. It didn't take me long to get to grips with a router, but definitely nicked a few bits which were hard to work out at the end. 

John Frusciante 62 strat homage has been sat collecting dust for a few months - not enough time for all my projects. If I could get around to sanding it off finally then it wouldn't take much to finish her off.....this thread has probably given some motivation to get cracking again!

2 people like this

Laburnum, patina of the gods. 

2 people like this

Tealight candle holders made from apple and cherry trees

large.IMG_1099.JPGlarge.IMG_1101.JPGlarge.IMG_1088.JPGlarge.IMG_1089.JPG

7 people like this

7 minutes ago, j0eperry said:

Will try and upload them later bud. It's a PITA for me loading pictures just because of the way I have to do it. It didn't take me long to get to grips with a router, but definitely nicked a few bits which were hard to work out at the end. 

John Frusciante 62 strat homage has been sat collecting dust for a few months - not enough time for all my projects. If I could get around to sanding it off finally then it wouldn't take much to finish her off.....this thread has probably given some motivation to get cracking again!

I hope you get it finished! Would love to see it when it's completed.

@mrjim    Stunning, ingenious and works of art sir !       I love the table and very envious of your skill set.     

Per chance are you able to carve balls ?     i ask as there is a huge untapped market in the audio world for such a thing,  basically carve a ball, cut in half and hollow out the innards to house the speaker so it resembles a pod.   Mainly used for smaller mid range or point of source drivers.    

The ones i have seen are coming in from Germany and the guy is charging £100+ per set and they sell almost instantly !   I know as i tried to purchase 2 sets for a classic car build.  

I am a metal worker, mainly sheet mild, stainless and ali with a smidgen of copper and brass.  Use lasers on a daily basis for cutting.    The metal version of the speaker pods added ringing and honking higher up in the mid range where as the wood just made it warm and smooth.   

Hope to see more of your craftsmanship soon sir :) 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, mrjim said:

Tealight candle holders made from apple and cherry trees

large.IMG_1099.JPGlarge.IMG_1101.JPGlarge.IMG_1088.JPGlarge.IMG_1089.JPG

This just reminded me, I remember a friend telling me about a guy who has/had a stall set up in Stratford Upon Avon, selling wooden tea light candle holders similar to these, making a killing in the process. Have you thought about boosting your income by selling any of these pieces? You can get massive margins and a tidy profit from these if you're able to source the wood effectively.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, OldFord said:

@mrjim    Stunning, ingenious and works of art sir !       I love the table and very envious of your skill set.     

Per chance are you able to carve balls ?     i ask as there is a huge untapped market in the audio world for such a thing,  basically carve a ball, cut in half and hollow out the innards to house the speaker so it resembles a pod.   Mainly used for smaller mid range or point of source drivers.    

The ones i have seen are coming in from Germany and the guy is charging £100+ per set and they sell almost instantly !   I know as i tried to purchase 2 sets for a classic car build.  

I am a metal worker, mainly sheet mild, stainless and ali with a smidgen of copper and brass.  Use lasers on a daily basis for cutting.    The metal version of the speaker pods added ringing and honking higher up in the mid range where as the wood just made it warm and smooth.   

Hope to see more of your craftsmanship soon sir :) 

What sort of size would the balls want to be? I have access to a lathe so definitely possible!

1 person likes this