Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JimmyPage

Seed just popped in rockwool - next few days ?

Given my recent setbacks, I'm a little nervous with the next grow, so would appreciate some advice ...

Decided to pop one of the free seeds I got last year (why not) which I keep in the fridge.

However, when I went to get a little container for my rockwool cube, I found I'd forgotten I'd stashed 2 femmed seeds in them. So they weren't refridgerated - just in a little baggie :)

So I chose a "Blue Cheese" and scuffed it, soaked it, popped in a cube, and it's just started to show. 

What's the best way from here ? Usually, I wait until I see a root underneath, and then start it off in the bubbler - has always worked in the past. But since recent wobbles, I thought I'd check.

The reason I use an (old :) )espresso cup, is to keep the "sophistication" down just in case there's a dreaded knock :(

large.IMG_20180516_132817.jpglarge.IMG_20180516_132748.jpglarge.IMG_20180516_132745.jpg

2 people like this

Personally I would carry on like you have before mate, I reckon the last seed was a duffer in the gene dept, if it worked all the other time it must be a pretty good method

2 people like this

Just now, ratdog said:

Personally I would carry on like you have before mate, I reckon the last seed was a duffer in the gene dept, if it worked all the other time it must be a pretty good method

Thanks - but you know what it's like when your confidence takes a knock ...

I didn't mention it, but prior to this I tried popping another free seed (from the fridge stash - a "Gigabud"). That did nothing in 10 days. When I abandoned it, I discovered it *had* popped, but for some reason stalled before the shoot could show :(

Last free seed I popped was a Supersonic Cristal Haze. The difference between that and my regular WW in terms of growth was astounding. It grew like it was destined for a "here's what a perfect plant looks like" competition ....

3 people like this

I know mate, but you can do it! :)

Most of free seeds produce crappy plants ime, and ones who passed that test were average croppers, I have had the odd good one but not enough to bother any more.

I would just carry on as you were, that seedling looks nice and strong so far, just keep nursing it and I`m sure it will deliver.

2 people like this

Just now, ratdog said:

Most of free seeds produce crappy plants ime, and ones who passed that test were average croppers,

Oh it wasn't a great harvest at all (although a decent smoke).

Just the plant grew like it was in a textbook. Whereas every WW I have grown has looked ... well a bit shit really. I did ask about it on here a while back. It was an odd discussion, but I think it backed my suspicion that as you start breeding for yield, strength, taste, the actual plant morphology suffers a bit. You get an odd branching pattern, and odd looking leaves. Pretty certain Greg Green makes that point in his breeders bible. The more you push one trait, the less you can control other traits.

Anyway, if the smoke is good, and the yield worthwhile, who gives a fuck what it looks like ?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, JimmyPage said:

Anyway, if the smoke is good, and the yield worthwhile, who gives a fuck what it looks like ?

:yep:

Not sure the plant has to suffer through breeding though, I`ve had many plants that look great with the smell/taste/hit and yield being great too, perhaps it might be time for a strain change?

I`m growing out SAD and Nordle again this run, both tick all the boxes and very high yielders, the Nordle hit 4 ounces in a 7.5 pot and it`s my favourite to date, in fact it`s all I`ve been smoking for 4+ months, and she`s a very pretty girl in my eyes

1 person likes this

Word of advice jimmy if you use root riot cubes much better to mist them than soak them for faster growth.

personally i just stuck to rockwool 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, redbeard said:

Word of advice jimmy if you use root riot cubes much better to mist them than soak them for faster growth.

personally i just stuck to rockwool 

Well !!!! It *is* a root riot cube :)

Apologies for being sloppy over terminology.

And I have a mister for foliar feeding :)

1 person likes this

Very quick question ...

do I need to do anything if the shoot has unfurled with the seed casing covering the first two leaves, or will it pop it off as the leaves grow ?

Just to follow up, checking the cube, there was a lovely root (over 1" long) coming out the bottom ... so (following advice to do what I've always done :) ) I packed it into a net pot with washed clay pebbles, made up a slightly weaker week1 feed, and dropped it into a bucket with a super-silent air pump that I forgot I had :):):)

While I was doing this, the seed casing must have just fallen off, I didn't see it, fall, but it was on the cube when I put the net onto the bubbler

So, all crossed for a try at a Blue Cheese femmed from Barneys Seeds ;) 

In the meantime, MrsJP rearranged all our stash from the last but one grow into a big Kilner jar, so we have a few smaller ones for curing the last harvest. When I went to put it all back, there was more than I had thought we had :) (In hindsight, probably not a good idea to have labels on the jar dating back to October 2014 ....)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have done that blue cheese from barneys farm more times than I care to remember....had some very strange pheno's

she is a joy to grow tho IMO with the right pheno...easy, strong and makes the best ice hash ever....concentrates are fantastic as well

One of the things I have learned this run is to keep the water level right up into the stones as far as you can without drowning the 'crown' or whatever it is called when vegging and drop it in flower to an inch below the nets....then last weeks drop it to half.(trick it into thinking a drought is coming and it needs to hurry the f@ck up)

It causes the roots to come out of the sides instead of heading straight down to make a more stable root zone IMO

A controversial one now......If from seed.....I cut the tap root once 4 - 6 inches from the cube....I have always done it....done it this time....been told not to....do it anyway lollol to force the plant to produce more root sites.

It aint in soil and I feel I need to let the girls know this asap....someone will probably tell me how much of a dick move this is (Im still learning and will continue to do so I hope).

Edited by zen-ken
1 person likes this

On 18/05/2018 at 11:03 AM, JimmyPage said:

Very quick question ...

do I need to do anything if the shoot has unfurled with the seed casing covering the first two leaves, or will it pop it off as the leaves grow ?

Probably too late with this one but through experience I’d take it off (if you can)

im on my first grow and I left the seed shell on the leaf and it caused issues with the leaves and has definitely stunted development compared to her sisters.

use a clean pair of tweezers and I’ve found the best method is to kind of coax it off rather than pulling at if if that makes sense. 

1 person likes this