Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Manchesterman

Autos on window sill??

93 posts in this topic

Can a tent the size of a dr60 handle a grow of 500+ grams it's only 60x60x175 but I have no perspective of how big a plant gets and how much bud you can get of it. To me 60x60 sound to small for 1 plant but maybe I'm imagining them to be bigger then they are.

No, you will not grow 500g in a DR60, it is too small for that.

Breeders will provide yield expectations in their seed specifications, and these are typically somewhere around 400 - 550 grams per metre square. Sometimes is slightly higher or lower for some particular strains. This is what you might expect if have a good run with no problems, everything goes well and you have the best genetics out of the pack. You get variation among the seed, so some just naturally grows bigger than others, some grow more flowers, some are stronger etc. With photoperiod plants people select and take clones of the best ones, and can fill their space with genetically identical plants, but with autos you are always at the mercy of whatever comes out of the seed each time. That is one reason why picking the right breeder in the first place is so important with autos.

A DR 60 is 0.6 x 0.6 metres, which is 0.36 square metres, just over a third of a square metre. So realistically 550 x 0.36 = 198g, which is why I was chuffed to get practically that from my Northern Light in my DR60. I have seen people grow upwards of 250g in a DR60 but I never got close with photoperiods, it's exceptional.

In a DR60 one or two plants is good, three is doable but can become a squeeze. I wouldn't do more than three. Not again lol. One plant can easily fill it if it grows well, but it is nice to have an insurance or two, as well as a bit of variety. It's actually possible to put more in there with techniques such as small clones in a Sea Of Green style but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner.

1 person likes this

In that case dr60 might be the tent I go for. Is the height ok? Could be short with lights and a carbon filter.

16 hours ago, Manchesterman said:

I can't think of anywhere to do a guerilla grow. If I did it in Lyme park I'd have the dear stoned on my stash.

Lyme Park ?? No chance man. Try Bowstones up the road. Or the Canal in High Lane.

Deer it is man, Deer. Never thought of how Venison would taste with a bit of Indica overtones.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Manchesterman said:

In that case dr60 might be the tent I go for. Is the height ok? Could be short with lights and a carbon filter.

I've got a 60 x 60 x 140cm. Run a 300w LED with a 4" RVK fan inside the tent ducted out to a Rhino Pro CF which is outside the tent. A small 4" fan for intake and a clip fan for movement. I have a tube heater underneath a small pallet I found and put the plants on that in case the temps fall. I grow in the loft and as you know it can still be brassic at night up here.

I reckon you can fit 3 maybe 4 plants inside that. Height issues can be avoided by LST the plants when they are in Veg. Plenty of advice on how to do this on here. Be careful how close you have the light to the plants of you use an LED. The manufacturer's website will advise on how far to hang it in the various stages of growth. Too close and they fry. Bazzo on here is an expert LED man. Check out his diaries.

1 person likes this

I like that setup. I'd imagine having the filter at the end of the flow muffles the fan out a little.

1 minute ago, Manchesterman said:

I like that setup. I'd imagine having the filter at the end of the flow muffles the fan out a little.

Yes it's fine. I don't have a fan controller either. With the loft door closed you can't hear anything

I am no expert but it took me a while to figure it out but dead easy to do. I paid £79 for the RVK, Rhino Pro CF and 5m ducting. I used to have some acoustic ducting but gave it to a mate ( dickhead). I could put the CF in the tent and have the fan outside in a box but I figured I may need the space. I reckon when I start in June, and all goes well, I will have enough green for us for a whole year. I will be growing some Dinafem Diesel and some Skunk #11 from Dutch Passion. 1 of each - maybe 2 diesel

1 person likes this

I'm sure I've seen a similar deal on eBay for the fan and filter. But the setup, unless flawed, is perfect for sound deadening. I'll have tent in a bedroom so would be very handy to have it silenced a little. Will get a fan speed controller for future grows by then hopefully I can grow some diesel some lemon. Give all the flavours a try. In theory I'd want to grow big then pack up the tent for a year but I'd rather grow 1 plant at a time to sample different strains.

2 minutes ago, Manchesterman said:

I'm sure I've seen a similar deal on eBay for the fan and filter. But the setup, unless flawed, is perfect for sound deadening. I'll have tent in a bedroom so would be very handy to have it silenced a little. Will get a fan speed controller for future grows by then hopefully I can grow some diesel some lemon. Give all the flavours a try. In theory I'd want to grow big then pack up the tent for a year but I'd rather grow 1 plant at a time to sample different strains.

Also get a CFL Blue light to get the seedlings off - 100w or even less. You could always grow 3 different strains at the same time, assuming you have somewhere to dry them should they finish at different times

1 person likes this

Since one aim is to keep costs down I don't think you need to buy vegging lights for your first grow. You already have to outlay for a tent, light, fan, filter, pots, compost and seeds.

I would say to get a HPS light, great value for money which is proven technology known to grow nice big plants. Decent LEDs do exist but so do ones which aren't great for growing plants. The good ones tend to be reflected in the price tag.

My DR60 is 160cm tall. I used to put a big carbon filter outside the tent. I had a very short filter which I could fit in the tent (Ikon 125 x 150 mm) but the larger filter outside the tent worked was better, there was more airflow and I could set the fan lower.

Growing in a small tent you should learn to train your plants. You should learn about LST, low stress training. This will help you control the height of your plants and spread them out horizontally, so the light is used effectively. For a first time you might want to leave it to grow naturally for the learning experience, but I would say there is nothing wrong with learning this skill from the outset because it is essential for getting big yields in small spaces.

2 people like this

So far here's what I'm getting 

4" Swiftair filter and fan kit @ £44.99

Secret jardin DS90 90x90x170 @ £69.95

BioBizz light mix 20L soil @£6

BioBizz indoor try pack @ £12.50

Heavy duty 

Lumii heavy duty timer plug @ £7.99

Either 

LUMii 600w hps kit with reflector @ £49.99

Or

Meizhi 300w led grow light @ £65.62

HPS total £191.42

LED total £207.05

Led should be cheaper to run and heat shouldn't be an issue.

A few points.

Light - the lighting options are not equivalent. You may or may not be aware already but the Meizhi isn't actually 300 watts. The Meizhi website states it only uses 135 watts. LEDs are marketed as being "equivalent to" an amount of HID lighting, but this is just marketing. It is misleading.

So you are not getting anywhere near as much light with the LED option. The 600W HPS will be able to fill a 90cm tent. The LED won't provide enough light to do that but you can still use it in that tent. There is nothing wrong with leaving a bit of space around plants. You obviously won't be able to achieve the same yield.

Fan - It's not a very good fan and it's small. I have no direct experience myself, but from reading around it would not cope with the heat produced from 600W HPS. You will need a bigger fan if you go with the HPS option. It might work alright with the LEDs as they should be much cooler, as you say, I don't have the experience to confirm. That type of fan is not very good at dealing with pressure so if you are wanting to run more than a few feet of ducting off it to extract the air, you might need to upgrade. The filter is very cheap and might get you through your first few grows, but it won't last long I'd guess.

Compost and nutrients - some people might suggest getting cheaper multipurpose from a DIY store and using that, and some cheaper nutrients, you could shave a few pounds off. On the other hand it's not a massive part of your budget and it's nice to know you have stuff designed specifically for this.

You will also need some way to measure your nutrient solution. The best thing is 5ml measuring syringes. You may already have something you can use. You need a pot, perhaps a few, and saucers to catch the runoff. Again you might have some already from the garden. If not, this time of year is a good time to look in the cheapo Home Pound Bargain shops for this type of thing. If you do reuse old ones just give them a clean with soapy water first. For the ventilation, you will probably need some ducting to connect to the fan and run to whereever you are extracting the air to.

Good luck :yep:

2 people like this

This is why I love this website everyone is really helpful. I like that your thinking is similar to mine. One thing I was thinking of doing was getting a 250w hps but couldn't find any decent ones for the price. If I went hps i should really look at a dimmable one and run it at 250w. If that LED give me enough to produce 100g per grow I'd be happy. Not convinced if it will or won't so before I buy I'm still researching. Ultimately I'd want to firstly upgrade the filter kit then add another LED light in. Not sure if grow enough to merit getting a second light but the option is still there. Nutrients wise agree with you because I could spend a lot less on them but for my first grow I like the fact it's designed for what I'd be growing so should be easier to use. With experience I'd move on to other stuff once I understand the plant and what it needs. Not sure why but lots wise I'm seeing people are using "smart pots/rooting pots". I can get one of those rooting pots for £1.5 and a measuring pipette for 35p so will get them.

1 person likes this

Props to @delagdo for taking the time to explain all that to help you. Most people don't get that sort of dedicated advice, even on here.

2 people like this

Yeah genuinely everyone has been helpful but delagdo is the man. Thanks for the advice I feel like I've got more then enough knowledge to get me going and tips you mentioned like LST are things I can consider for future grows. Appreciated 

2 people like this