Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Manchesterman

Autos on window sill??

101 posts in this topic

I also think autos are a good idea for a starter nowadays. The point about a stable environment is an excellent one. On a related matter, light leaks are not a problem with autos either, when they can ruin a photo grow.

I think the speed is an important point too. It's true to say that photoperiod plants can have a more 'forgiving' style of grow, since you can spend as long as you like vegging and recover from errors, but you might spend months doing that before flipping the switch and still watch it all go wrong in the final 8 weeks, especially as a newbie. With autos you can ruin everything, scrap it all and start from scratch tomorrow and still have a harvest in 10 weeks time.

The other reason I have come to love autos is that I don't have to worry about stretching so much. I've always grown in limited headroom and not having to cope with the 2 weeks after 12/12 makes me much happier.

3 people like this

insted of using the windowsill  and stinking the place out   ( which it will )  what about  having a bash at guerilla growing ... that way  its out  in the middle of no where so the smell  will be ok ...  loads of room for it to grow  and less to fork out ..  i know a tent is the way to go ..... but in my case it would be impossible to have a  set up even tho id  love one  .....  so guerilla stylee  is the only solution here .... worth a bash mate.......   ..:skin_up:

2 people like this

How much does pH ec humidity and temperature effect autos? Are they forgiving compared to photos. Personally as a new farmer :rofl: I'm not sure if it's a bigger deal as I think other perceive it.

I can't think of anywhere to do a guerilla grow. If I did it in Lyme park I'd have the dear stoned on my stash.

I’m from Manchester a window sill won’t cut it mate my mate just tried it and it stretched like crazy uk weather 2 unpredictable. Has for nutrients ask shogun or cellmax or email whga hydroponics they give sample bottles out or even green house feedings will hook you up with there bio powder. Have not paid for nutrients or seeds in a long time you don’t ask you won’t get. Here’s a link for a cheap setup I know you said a budget but trust me you stick four plants in it one 600w light and watch the nice yield you get https://www.hydroponics.co.uk/bay6-1-2m-grow-tent-kit.html#.Wv4eXBbTWEc

you can’t go wrong have just give a mate a mine a Girl Scout crack 5 weeks old to grow in is yard but she’s mature and can probley handle it piece and weed dude 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Manchesterman said:

How much does pH ec humidity and temperature effect autos? Are they forgiving compared to photos. Personally as a new farmer :rofl: I'm not sure if it's a bigger deal as I think other perceive it.

You don't need to measure pH or EC if you are growing in compost, whether it is autos or photos. These only need to be measured if you are growing hydroponically, such as in coco. EC and pH relate to the strength of the nutrient solution. Some plants are more picky and don't like it very strong when others would be fine. This is more related to the individual strains than auto vs photo, so something easy-growing like Critical would be fine with high strength food that would damage something more sensitive like OG Kush, whether they are autos or photos.

Humidity and temperature are important whichever you are growing. You need to get the environment right as too hot, dry, cold and/or wet and plants won't grow as well as they should, photo or auto. Again some plants are more sensitive than others and it varies strain by strain, rather than auto vs photo.

The important thing with autos is to get the first few weeks right. If something goes wrong or they get off to a slow start, they will never catch up. They'll start to flower after a few weeks even if they are very small, so you really need them to grow as fast as possible right from the off. Growing fast in first few weeks is less crucial with photos, you can just keep vegging until they are as big as you want before you switch the lights to flowering, whether that takes 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months.

3 people like this

So sounds like a tent + light + carbon filter + soil + nutrients should be enough to get the auto DP Colorado cookies to grow well. When it comes to temp and humidity what's the solution for that? 

1 person likes this

On 5/16/2018 at 5:19 PM, Manchesterman said:

Idea was to spend what I would on buying bud on equipment but it looks like I'll have to reach into my pocket. I'd always go for 1 plant at a time as for personal use it's going to be enough. Would a 250w hps be decent enough to produce 100grams of bud once I've had experience. I plan to grow soil only and move over to photo types later.

Defo possible mate. I got 80+ grams from one auto under a single 150watt bulb first time. That was with a few fuck ups along the way.

1 person likes this

Hi bud , your going to need extraction.

You can get a carbon filter set on fleebay at decent price. Depending if your using led or HP's. 

Your get away with a smaller extraction with led but if your going to HP's in future , go for something bigger :)

Atb

2 people like this

A decent controller for exhaust fan of some kind will help with temps, and will help make the fan a bit quieter too. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If you're going to use a HPS bulb and just have one fan pulling air from the whole tent while also filtering, make sure your fan is a beast. Otherwise your plants will suffer and stretch from the heat. If you just want to use a basic stock in-line fan that comes with one of those 'bay tent kits, I'd go for a smaller wattage, like 250w or 400w, rather than a 600w. I made the mistake of getting a tent kit with a 600w HPS and 4inch CF with fan. Whoever put the kit together clearly hadn't thought about or didn't care about temps, because it was a battle keeping them under 30*C. Air cooled is the way to go but obviously you're just starting out and just want the basics to start yourself off, just make sure you find out the minimum air exchange you need for whatever space you're growing in and double check that the fan they're offering with that kit can deal with that and properly matches the tent it comes with (also minus about 25% if the fan's attached to a CF).

Saw a hydro store the other day on the 'bay selling a 2mx2mx2m tent with 4x600w HPS. The extraction? 2 four-inch shitty in-line fans with a carbon filter each. It's like trying to cool my mate down by farting on him. It's like they've thought "we know we need at least an 8inch fan for this space, so we'll add two 4 inchers and that'll make 8". Either they're idiots, or quick-buckers.

Edited by SevernValleySavant
2 people like this

First grow I'll go without a controller but will get a LED lights and small carbon filter. As I'm only going with 1 plant at a time or maybe 2 max. If a 150w light can get 80+ a 200w led should do as much I'd hope.

4 hps lights in a 2x2x2 tent? What's a good size tent for 2 plant with room for possibly starting off a 3rd.

Your temp issues would certainly be taken care of with an LED. I have no experience with LED's so I can't offer much, but I would advise if you're getting a light that isn't fully 'tried and tested by the masses' shall we say, the spectrum might not be completely optimised to the point that you might start seeing deficiencies that you normally wouldn't with other lights, and it can cause a lot of unnecessary confusion and panic if you're inexperienced with the signs for reading plants to the point of misdiagnosing/overcompensating for a problem that you think is being caused by the soil/feed that actually isn't, and you can end up just making things worse. You'll probably be fine, but as I assume you'll get yourself a Mars Hydro or something and won't be spending £1k+ on a spectrum king LED, just be extra studious when you encounter issues you think are nutrient related and run any issues by the LED guys first, as I've seen this happen too many times. I'm just talking about the cheaper LED's here though.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Manchesterman said:

4 hps lights in a 2x2x2 tent? What's a good size tent for 2 plant with room for possibly starting off a 3rd.

I'd say it depends entirely how long you want to veg for (photos), but since you're starting off with autos in soil, I'd say a 1mx1m tent would be about right, with space for a standing fan and up to 4 reasonably sized autos. You wouldn't need the whole 2m height if you didn't want a tent that big, but it's recommended, and 1sqm is about right for 4 plants with <1month veg

1 person likes this