Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Manchesterman

Autos on window sill??

101 posts in this topic

I'm growing Auto Colorado Cookies too, strangely - but unfortunately a huge rainstorm washed all my labels off, so I'm not sure which ones they are! doh!

2 people like this

Damnnn only one way to tell which is which lol. 

I'm glad is has buddie! I did mess up here and there but I've never grown these before.

When it's all pretty dry I'll do a weigh in and post it on my thread :)

They would have gone alotmore I'd say but I stuffed them up at the time I shouldn't of. My mistake lol

Also I think mine took the sativa side :/

All the best man! 

Good luck! You picked a good auto to do ;)

1 person likes this

Hello! I would say it depends on your aims.

You could grow on a windowsill, if you just  want an easy hobby with minimal investment of money and time, just don't expect very much back for your efforts. If you grow a few eighths but it didn't cost very much or take much effort then you might be happy at the end, if that's all you're after.

If you are serious about growing then indoors under lights with ventilation is the way to go. I understand you want to do it cheaply but it does require some money to get started up, there is no way around this. It does represent value though, since putting in the price of a couple of ounces of black market weed should return many more of the highest quality.

To get set up you should read and research as much as possible, before you buy all the gear. Good equipment does cost a reasonable amount, and it can be easy to rush into a purchase before you know what you are looking at then regret it when you read about better tech or a different way of doing things later.

You could always do both, and start with a plant on the windowsill, planning to move on to a tent. This could get you familiar with the plant and how it grows, some beginner's experience, to prepare you for the future. If you make a real rookie error and kill the plant dead after two month's effort, it can be even more disheartening if you also spent £250+ to get to that point. It would also give you time to save up, and fully research what to buy for the first grow under lights.

Autos would be a good choice for this IMO since they'll be done the quickest and you wouldn't have to worry about keeping them in the dark at any point, they would still flower. Don't expect much yield at all but do expect to learn about growing plants.

My biggest concern by far would be security if you grow on a windowsill or in your own garden. Is it overlooked at all? Plants do look like plants and putting them on display would be a massive risk with a potentially very high cost. If you have any success you'll also have a smell that any visitors will notice.

4 people like this

I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for a tent. The smell is a massive concern so tent it will have to be. One plant under a 600w Lumii light will be a start that should give me some decent but and experience.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi bud, 

If your using a 600w hps , I'd go for a 1m x 1m x 2m tent and have 2 plants trained pal , if your tent is smaller I'd go for a 250/400w HP's .

Also minimum 6inch out tAke with a 6inch over sized filter will do you spot on :)

My electric atm is about 90 quid a month running a 600w HP's on 20/4 , 24/0

I pay 13p a kw.

600w HP's Cain's the elecy buddie so if you can't afford it drop down to 400w.

If you can , go for it bro! Your have some tidy buds if you environment is good also ;) , if u do one plant, spread the b***h right out 

Go for Cookies! They are furrrrrryyyyy lol

Edited by Autofatman
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Idea was to spend what I would on buying bud on equipment but it looks like I'll have to reach into my pocket. I'd always go for 1 plant at a time as for personal use it's going to be enough. Would a 250w hps be decent enough to produce 100grams of bud once I've had experience. I plan to grow soil only and move over to photo types later.

Edited by Manchesterman
2 people like this

I grow in an old converted fridge, one plant under a 150w mini-max, yield about 4oz per crop, more than enough for my personal.......google 'fridgegrow' if you want some ideas.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yes, you need to invest the money in equipment, then you won't see the results for a few months. 250w HPS can easily grow 100g in a cycle. I used 250w HPS on my last grow and my Northern Light was 7 oz dried after 14 weeks of growth from seed, plus I also got around a oz each from two Fast Bud #2s I took out of the tent at week 9 -  I posted about it here:

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/386083-grow-report-northern-light-royal-queen-fast-bud-2-sweet-seeds/#comment-4880899

A dimmable HPS balast might be ideal for you wanting to save costs as they are relatively cheap, good value, and mean you don't need to spend more to upgrade in future.

Edited by delagdo
adding
1 person likes this

4oz would be perfect I'm now considering cheap led set up because it sounds like I might be able to get cheap £70 LEDs to give me the equivalent of 200w hps lights

7oz of northern lights would be amazing. In fact 4oz would be enough so possibly might go for cheap LEDs. If not I've seen Lumii do a cheap 250w/400w ballast which would be top end of what I need.

Mars hydro eco 100w can be had for £65. 

Remember there's no guaranteed return, things can go wrong and often do, particularly when learning something new. I do think if you achieved 100g from a 250w HPS first time you'd have done very well, especially from a single auto, it's within the bounds of possibility, but so is 0g. You are quite right to put security and smell at the top of your list, since 0g yield isn't actually the worst result if things go really wrong :police:. A decent filter is worth every penny. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Some people would call it heresy, but I would advise anyone just starting out growing indoors to try autos first.  Trying to get your environment properly stable is more difficult with conventional plants because of the need for the twelve hour dark period every day.  Autos are easier, and quicker too.  But outdoors I would go with conventional plants, which will yield better.  Except that if I planted them in my garden, within a few weeks the entire street would know what I was up to!  Probably neighbouring streets as well.  A mate of mine did a grow in his house with no extraction once and I swear you could smell it just driving down his road.  Goodness knows how he didn't get busted.

4 people like this

55 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Some people would call it heresy, but I would advise anyone just starting out growing indoors to try autos first.  Trying to get your environment properly stable is more difficult with conventional plants because of the need for the twelve hour dark period every day.  Autos are easier, and quicker too.  But outdoors I would go with conventional plants, which will yield better.  Except that if I planted them in my garden, within a few weeks the entire street would know what I was up to!  Probably neighbouring streets as well.  A mate of mine did a grow in his house with no extraction once and I swear you could smell it just driving down his road.  Goodness knows how he didn't get busted.

I agree with you squirrel, better quality of smoke usually too...the thing I love about autos is how much fun it is to watch them go from seed to harvest in 8 weeks or just a bit more! Photos need a lot of work and patience, I'd say do some of both so you've got something to smoke in the meantime, like I did last year. The other thing about autos outdoors is that I can get a few harvested before the cop choppers start looking in the late summer, leaving me with just a few photos into the autumn (legal-ish in Spain).

3 people like this