Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Blaklite

Looking for Temp/Humid sensor

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hullo,

First timer here, 1.2x1.2x2m Mars tent with 600w Solis-Tek digi ballast, 6" exhaust, pulling through a f^k off carbon filter. Hand watered coco with Canna nutes.

At the moment I'm just getting my bearings and while my Type K thermocouple thingamy has been invaluable during the hot weather (barely managing to keep below 30c during hottest part of day, but the girls are seeming to love it =) ). However I'm thinking I might need to get a handle on the moisture levels in the air as they really start to party hard.

So would appreciate a product that will allow me to put sensors where they will do most good, and more importantly allow me to take readings without having to wake them up (ie have the display outside).

Not above building some sort of home brew "fabracobbled", GitHub sourced thing, but prob more sensible to start with a working unit that will give me a baseline to be able to move forward from.

Don't want IoT stuff, no RGB, simply something that works, every time, without alarms or "features" that won't get used, think Nokia rather than iPhone =)

Finally I would like something that will manage to survive at least a couple of seasons, but not having me have to sell the kids.

So if you have come across such a thing, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

PS Also I wondered if there was any benefits to other things to bring the moisture down rather than a full on de-humidifier ?

(N.B. NOT affiliate links)

Bags of magic stuff that pull in moisture 

(along the same lines, 

Or if it gets really bad, bite the bullet and get..

Big thanks in advance

B

Edited by Owderb
Links removed

3 minutes ago, Blaklite said:

(N.B. NOT affiliate links)

It's still :Spam_Icon: I'm afraid. :no:  

wow amazing insight.

Thanks for that

I'm pretty sure you can get hygrometers with external probes cheap on ebay/amazon. Probably the easiest way of going if you want it off the shelf.

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering though, look at Arduino's. There is a bit of a learning curve (it's a hobby in itself) but it's pretty simple to use, and you can't get anything more versatile. I'm currently using DS18B20 probes (3 metre wire, so everything else is kept outside the room) hooked up to an arduino for reading temps and switching a relay for my intake heater. Basically a thermostat at the minute, but I've got a fair bit of expansion planned. Dead easy to setup after a few days reading though, and it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

CO2 seems to be a bit of a waste of time if you're not running a sealed room, but I don't know a lot about it tbh.

Hope that helps a bit dude.

:yinyang:

I solved this problem by buying a cheap weather station with an outdoor sensor from Amazon and putting the outdoor sensor in the GR.  Works pretty well,  I've just bought a new one for £40 that has three external sensors, so now I can check the temps at three different places in my GR without getting off my backside at all.  Wish I had thought of it years ago, it makes it much easier to understand what the temps are doing.

2 people like this

PS I have always completely ignored humidity, growing in compost, and it's never been a problem.

28 minutes ago, squirrel said:

I solved this problem by buying a cheap weather station with an outdoor sensor from Amazon and putting the outdoor sensor in the GR.  Works pretty well,  I've just bought a new one for £40 that has three external sensors, so now I can check the temps at three different places in my GR without getting off my backside at all.  Wish I had thought of it years ago, it makes it much easier to understand what the temps are doing.

I have one with two sensors paid about £50 and then seen one in Wilko's for £20 that did the same thing I would have a look in your local one @Blaklite   Saves me going upstairs every hour to see what is going on. 

5 hours ago, squirrel said:

I did the same thing recently as well got a cheap weather station with three sensors. 

Cost me 16  quid off e bay . So much easier than getting up there to look at temps. 

With the three sensors (2xaaa) you can build quite an accurate pic of temps. 

Plus you also get a 4th sensor in the base unit that plugs in, and is radio controlled so time is always bang on, and has an alarm if you need.

They also do min and max, 

but no hydrometer built in. 

I would think ideal for a tent as you will have accurate readings with it shut. Soon as you open the door the temp must change immediately.

I bought another for the other room and have two of these now by the side of my bed. 

I think they are pucker . 

zz

large.20180506_132128.jpglarge.20180506_132145.jpglarge.20180512_124531.jpg

4 people like this

@zztopbudz that looks pretty sweet, good link :)

1 person likes this

Just a point about humidity, my weather stations do have humidity meters, but they are completely useless.  Right now I can tell you that in my GR  the humidity is 41%, 53% and 65%, all at the same time, with the sensors all positioned within about 3 feet of each other.  This doesn't surprise me at all, every hygrometer I have ever used has disagreed wildly with its colleagues.

I use a Netatmo weather station, bit pricier but I snagged one off Ebay for the right price.

The advantage is it sends data to my phone continuously, tip my phone sideways & I get a graph of temperature fluctuations, you can watch as the oil filled rad kicks in & out.

It does humidity too, not that I’ve taken much notice of this feature.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:27 AM, squirrel said:

Just a point about humidity, my weather stations do have humidity meters, but they are completely useless.  Right now I can tell you that in my GR  the humidity is 41%, 53% and 65%, all at the same time, with the sensors all positioned within about 3 feet of each other.  This doesn't surprise me at all, every hygrometer I have ever used has disagreed wildly with its colleagues.

I have found the same thing but if I swap the sensors around the different sensors read the same in the same places. I think humidity varies much more than people realise inside their rooms. I know my sensors are not inaccurate, I have tested them side by side and used different manufacturers and they all agree when in the same environment.

I regularly see a difference of 15% RH from a distance of just a few feet, also temperature differences of up to 3 degrees C depending on proximity to inlets, circulating fans, lights etc. This in a room just 6ftx6ft square.

Maybe cheaper hygrometers are not very well calibrated but I use individually sourced highly accurate sensors and use my own code to read them. I can have five sensors next to each other agreeing that the RH% is 56.3, the temperature is 23.65c, and the altitude (derived from reading pressure) is 93.25m above sea level. When I place them further apart they read the differences in the environment, they do not 'disagree wildly', they show the wild variation in the environment...

I suspect that your sensors are accurately showing the humidity variation in your room. Do they read the same when in a sealed box with no ventilation? That would let you know any differences in calibration.

Interesting.  I've never tried switching the sensors' positions about like that, because my philosophy about humidity is that I ignore it completely.  As far as I can tell the plants don't care about it at all.  It may be important in some kinds of hydro, possibly, but I suspect the concern about it derives from an early stoner's pet theory that was completely wrong.  That kind of thing happens a lot in growing.

I have noticed that there can be differences of several degrees in temperature between sensors in the same room, that's why I have multiple sensors.

1 person likes this

I did something similar with a raspberry pi zero w

It was fairly easy to set up. The ds18b20 temperature sensors set up really easily with Cayenne, so you can see graphs of temperature on a smartphone from anywhere