Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

squirrel

Nutes I can mix with water and leave standing

Hi all

What bloom nutes can I mix with water and leave sitting in a tank ready to be used, without them going off?  I am growing in compost in pots, indoors.  I want to be able to fill an 80 litre tank with water, with bloom nutes added, and feed it to the plants through drippers over the course of a few weeks, using a timer.  I have the watering working, but nutes I have tried so far go quite strange if you mix them with water and leave them standing.  I prefer to use tomato fertiliser, which has worked well for me in previous grows, but doesn't seem to like being mixed and stood at all.

Thanks for your help

Only 'orangic' nutrients don't stay mixed very well in a tank, so anything molasses based really. 

You need to have a water pump in the tank keeping the water moving to stop the solution going stale or nutes falling out of the solution. In 80L a small microjet pump like the kind that comes with NFT systems will do, they can be picked up for less than £15

1 person likes this

Thanks Goldie, that's very helpful.  I hadn't realised I would need to stir the tank.

1 person likes this

Also have a look at aquarium wave makers. These are great to stir up the tank and can just be run every so often on a timer. They are cheap as well.

Check the directions on the specific nutrients some will say use within x days of adding to water.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, monkeytree said:

Also have a look at aquarium wave makers. These are great to stir up the tank and can just be run every so often on a timer. They are cheap as well.

Check the directions on the specific nutrients some will say use within x days of adding to water.

I agree on both points. The nutes I'm using atm are only stable for 24hours when mixed in water. 

Thanks guys.  What I'm doing at the moment is letting the automation do most of the watering, just using plain water, and adding the nutes by hand straight after they have been watered by the system.  (I'm still experimenting how often that should be, automation gives you lots of possibilities).  I calculate roughly how much Bloom should have been added to the total amount of water they took, add that to a litre of water, and pour it into the drip trays under the plants so that it is taken up from the bottom.  So far that is working fine.  Obviously if I went away on holiday I couldn't do that, but in compost you don't need to add nutes till they are in bloom, so I just need not to try and flower plants while I am away.  I'm reluctant to start adding extra pumps to stir the tank and all that, I'm trying to make it easier, not harder!  :rofl:

Edited by squirrel