Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Werewolves_are_rad

HPS adjustable ballast - when change the settings?

Hi folks, my ballast has 250, 400 and 600 settings (+ a boost) 

I'm wondering when I should change up each level?

Cheers

1 person likes this

Hi mate. Usually people adjust the voltage as the plants grow. You may start with a 250W and increase to 400 then 600. 660W is for the final week or so. I've not used it yet.

Another good use is to maybe go down in voltage when the summer temps go up. If your getting high temps with the 600W it will not do any harm to turn it down to 400W. You will get more yield if make sure the temps stay within the range.

Another thing worth knowing is that you can turn the voltage up or down when the light is on.

Good luck!

2 people like this

i use the 250w for vegging and when its time to flower i just use the 600w mate, the only time i switch to the 400w is if i'm having problems with keeping the temps down and i don't use the boost

2 people like this

I've been at 250 so far, put them into final pot today & am planning on vege-ing for at least another week. I'll try upping to 400 tonight :)

2 people like this

hope your using the correct wattage lamps for each setting ?

you can turn a 600w lamp down to 400w but it affects the light spectral output,

I also wouldn't lower it down to 250w as it'll burn the salts/gas inside the lamps,

you can use a 400w lamp to run at 250w but your better using a dedicated 250w lamp,

also, you cant boost or run MH at a lower power setting as it too will fuck up the lamp.

3 people like this

Good point by Joint hogger.

I plan to purchase a couple of 400W bulbs, maybe 250W also. That said, plants done well under 400W setting with a 600W bulb but tests have proven light spectrum will be betterif using correct bulb to each setting.

1 person likes this

I'm using just 400 and 600 at the moment I always change bulbs.

i use a 250w and 600w bulb atm but i will be getting a 400w aswell pretty soon, it will give me the full set so i can switch to whatever is needed for cooling down from the high temps during the really hot weather this summer.

Nope, Ive been doing it wrong! Just have the one bulb!

Every day you learn something new.

2 people like this

@Joint hogger just checking mate, i get your point about the gases burning off and damaging the lamp. I'm gonna be using the same bulb for flowering in a week or so, do you reckon my yield could be affected & a new bulb necessary?

cant really say but if if its a relatively new lamp, then it'll still produce the goods, what does the internal lamp look like ?.

What are your thoughts on either purchasing a 600w Omega dimmable HPS or a KINGBO 600/1000w LED (can't seem to find anywhere what the latest series is), both full spectrum. I need to fill a 80x80x160 tent with 1/2 plants in at a time and need some help, really want to get the right ighting first time around!