Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

clue_less

Beyond Help!

58 posts in this topic

Hi all

Whilst I've really enjoyed reading through many diaries and seeing all your successes I think I have fallen at the first hurdle. Why's it called weed? Grows anywhere i'm told, anywhere that is apart from my bedroom.

I was hoping to go au natural, let nature takes it course, pop a few seeds then out to the greenhouse to leave to do it's thing, maybe even go guerilla and plant a few close by in the countryside. I bought 5 seeds and got 1 free, I went down the high CBD route, shark shock amongst a few others. I did the wet paper towel thing and they all germinated..great start!

It has been a slow decline ever since then

They grew super leggy from being exposed to the sun, i read to bury them up to the first leaves, and since then they have either died or just stopped growing. Juts chilling, doing a whole lot of nothing apart from going yellow. I don't have any lightbulbs or anything fancy at all, no grow room, just a propagator and a windowsill

I know some of what I did wrong, almost everything you can think. Interfered like a real noob. I've been thinking about them more than my own kids. Started them in coco, thought that wasn't working so mixed in some potting compost. Started off with lots of misting for watering, then went for a real soak and leave approach. Now i just check in when getting home from work and see no difference.

Basically i've royally fucked them up, plant molester extraordinaire

Hardly a great start, or an ideal way to convince the missus to splash another 40 quid on more seeds I can't grow

Not even sure why i'm sharing this, maybe you could suggest some easy seeds? i don't wanna grow crazy skunk, just something light and easy, i barely smoke anymore, just wanted to do it for the experience of growing and learnign along the way

I got sucked into the schpiel on thevaults website about how easy it is to grow. sow and leave they said

I would show a couple of pictures but can't work out how to on here

Thanks for reading if you got this far

peace

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, clue_less said:

Hi all

Whilst I've really enjoyed reading through many diaries and seeing all your successes I think I have fallen at the first hurdle. Why's it called weed? Grows anywhere i'm told, anywhere that is apart from my bedroom.

I was hoping to go au natural, let nature takes it course, pop a few seeds then out to the greenhouse to leave to do it's thing, maybe even go guerilla and plant a few close by in the countryside. I bought 5 seeds and got 1 free, I went down the high CBD route, shark shock amongst a few others. I did the wet paper towel thing and they all germinated..great start!

It has been a slow decline ever since then

They grew super leggy from being exposed to the sun, i read to bury them up to the first leaves, and since then they have either died or just stopped growing. Juts chilling, doing a whole lot of nothing apart from going yellow. I don't have any lightbulbs or anything fancy at all, no grow room, just a propagator and a windowsill

I know some of what I did wrong, almost everything you can think. Interfered like a real noob. I've been thinking about them more than my own kids. Started them in coco, thought that wasn't working so mixed in some potting compost. Started off with lots of misting for watering, then went for a real soak and leave approach. Now i just check in when getting home from work and see no difference.

Basically i've royally fucked them up, plant molester extraordinaire

Hardly a great start, or an ideal way to convince the missus to splash another 40 quid on more seeds I can't grow

Not even sure why i'm sharing this, maybe you could suggest some easy seeds? i don't wanna grow crazy skunk, just something light and easy, i barely smoke anymore, just wanted to do it for the experience of growing and learnign along the way

I got sucked into the schpiel on thevaults website about how easy it is to grow. sow and leave they said

I would show a couple of pictures but can't work out how to on here

Thanks for reading if you got this far

peace

Jut keep trying mate it will come to you in the end and You can lean from your mistakes. Why not try  becoming a member on here and get the seeds after subscription, 

3 people like this

Hi mate! #1 - Don't get disheartened. Think of what you have achieved already. You have managed to get your seeds to germinate. You have managed that. I would suggest that in your next attempt, you experiment with just one seed at a time, and then you haven't got all your eggs in one basket. I personally haven't had much success with coco, and for seedlings I would suggest you use some kind of general potting compost intended for seedlings from a garden centre. I mix my own compost now, but you need to walk before running. Perhaps on your next attempt, just go back to basics and just put one seed in a pot of compost and try doing it naturally without using the paper towel method. Put the little pot somewhere warm. As a heat source, I use a little voltage transformer that is permanently plugged in. It gives off gentle heat, so I use that! You will have to be patient, as germinating from an unsoaked seed will take longer. However, when it germinates, you haven't disturbed it (as a beginner) and you should be OK. Maybe mix some perlite into your compost mix, if you want to go down this route ( up to 50%).  Different people use lots of different methods (very successfully) and I am just suggesting a route that might be easiest for you. It is more disheartening when things go wrong with cannabis than growing other plants because you are anxious to get to the end result. In view of this, I would suggest you start off with some auto seeds as this will really speed up the process. You won't get a giant harvest, but it will improve the timescale for someone starting from standstill.  Hope this helps. Try and stay positive! 

4 people like this

Another suggestion  for you might be to use the "Root Riot" starter cubes. They contain hormones to help the seedling on its way. Once the seedling emerges, it will be accompanied by roots fighting their way downwards through the block. Then the seedling, along with the cube can be planted into a pot of soil and you are away!  Root Riot blocks can dry out and even when you buy a new pack, they can sometimes be dry. They need to be moist. If you get a new stock batch they will already be damp, but if they are dry, soak in ph adjusted water until they are wet. I use a ph of 6.5 for everything I do.  I would stick the Root Riot cube in a tiny glass with a piece of cling film over the top (to stop it drying out) and then it is put on my gentle heat source.  These are brilliant for germinating new seeds and no need for pre-soaking. As soon as the seedling shows itself, take the cling film away - as it has served its purpose. Then put the whole thing into your compost mix and off you go!

1 person likes this

dont worry about your first attempt mate its shit when starting a new hobby whatever hobby it is.

start again a standard desk light on top of a propogater may help with strech in a moist soil untill there established.

dont soak and leave the medium on a seedling as it will just hold too much water as the plants are not drinking loads as they dont have alot of roots etc 

depending on how old they were when you buried the stem on them if they were still babies you have probably rotted it with too much water done it myself many times 

in simple terms by the sound of it you have loved them too much buddy:) .

i use a standard 10cm pot and dont spray anything on it and give it a a tiny amount of water once/twice  a week as the roots want to be searching for water

having a look at the pot noodle challange thread recently helped me understand just how big you can go in a small pot and have a look at how much they use for watering it looks next to nothing  

hope you get back on the old horse so to speak as you only get better with practice 

Okay first things, I've been at this for over a decade now and I still fuck up royally.  There's only one way to be successful and that's to keep trying.  I gave up for a year and completely bolloxed up my first two grows when I started up again.  Eventually you'll find a way that suits you and it'll just click.  But you gotta be in the game for that to happen.  

3 people like this

Coco contains no nutrients, so use compost with the next batch. Keep it moist but not swamped. A little room temp water daily should be enough.

It was actually lack of exposure to the sun which made them leggy. They were reaching for more light. Are they getting lots of direct sunlight in your bedroom? Warm roots are also important for seedlings; a heat mat for £15 made a big difference to mine.

Hi mate

I'll second the root riot cubes about a fiver for 24 cubes they feed your seedling then go straight into something like biobizz light mix which will feed them for up to 3 weeks then into biobizz all mix in your final pot.

You also need to choose the right nutes for the medium you choose.

Keep at it mate we all fuck up even the seasoned growers but it's an amazing hobby with great rewards at the end lol

1 person likes this

I find most compost hasn`t a lot of food in and I`m usually feeding after the first couple of waterings, 2-3ml of fishmix keeps things ticking over nicely, and you would be better sticking them in the greenhouse now, they will get far more sun there than a windowsill, this is why they are leggy.

3 people like this

@clue_less hi mate it is easy to get dishearted mate but you just got to chalk this one up to experience ,now to the point get some jacks magic compost and also some vermiculite to open the compost up a little and let air to the roots , now get some autos and try again .

I would sprout as you did then get a 1.5 litre pot fill with the compost dip a little hole drop the sprouted seed in and just drop a little compost over the hole , i then put a plastic pot on top a jelly pot to keep it moist until the seed comes up and drops the outer shell i remove the pot and then i put under lights but you could keep them in a sunny 

spot in the greenhouse if they go leggy just use a bamboo stick to hole them up with a little bit of the baggy tie ,once the root out the 1.5 litre pot move them to the pot size you choose , i know some say you should plant them in the final pot from the start but well i think all that cold compost round the seed is not good .

Also try looking and blackpool bounces post and read what he does that or the master of the outdoors beezee lol .

Good luck mate and i am sure if you make a few friends here and aboput people will help you with seed wink wink

stay safe grow well

I'd give it another go - I wouldn't be here if I hadn't! ;)

The main thing I saw from what you said above was that you soaked the pots - as others have said, that's overkill for a seedling and could easily cause issues. Damp medium is fine for seedlings.

The stretch - if you can start them under a small wattage CFL (I use 30watts) you will keep the stretch down to a minimum - just position the lamp a few inches above the seedling with it pops above ground.

For me, the most important things I have been told are - 1: environment is crucial, nail that, you will have happy plants. 2: keep it simple.

I'd give it another bash but I'd start a diary here - that way, you will have some very experienced eyes looking over your shoulders.

Good luck! :v:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

*wrote this last night but site went offline so couldn't post 

Hi, You say they grew 'leggy' I assume this is stretched/lanky and that's because of not enough light, they think they must be shaded so put all their energy into trying to break the canopy - cept there isn't one so it's futile.  Growing on a windowsill is less than ideal for security & conditional reasons (think bout the window-cleaners seeing it? passer by? neighbor?) & you can't control light pollution spoiling their sense of time, like if somebody turned the light on at night, cars going past with headlights on, streetlights etc etc 

& Yeah you interfered too much, putting them in coco then mixing in compost was a bad idea - btw do you have soil or coco nutrients? You can't interchange them. Constantly misting them will mess with their ability to transpire (lose water through leaves) which they use to cool down and most important, too create pressure within them so they can absorb nutrients/more water. & burying the leaves just created another stress and problem for the plant to deal with, not looked into it much but their leaves will rot and surely this opens them up to disease. 

Even a basic bare bones indoor grow will run you £100+ quite easily due to carbon filters and proper extraction fans.... I'd look into outdoor growing. Last piece of advise is, I know you want to help them grow but best thing you can do is create a good environment for them & leave them alone, just water and inspect on a sensible basis. 

Edited by j2o
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Oafman said:

Coco contains no nutrients, so use compost with the next batch. Keep it moist but not swamped. A little room temp water daily should be enough.

It was actually lack of exposure to the sun which made them leggy. They were reaching for more light. Are they getting lots of direct sunlight in your bedroom? Warm roots are also important for seedlings; a heat mat for £15 made a big difference to mine.

Thanks @Oafman i think they were heading to a small night light during the night, they get lots of sunlight in the window at the moment, its south facing so most of the best part of the day, but doesnt seem to be making much difference, I have a heated propagator but turned it off as i wasnt sure if i was cooking them or not, not sure there are many roots to heat at the moment!

10 hours ago, doobie01 said:

dont worry about your first attempt mate its shit when starting a new hobby whatever hobby it is.

start again a standard desk light on top of a propogater may help with strech in a moist soil untill there established.

dont soak and leave the medium on a seedling as it will just hold too much water as the plants are not drinking loads as they dont have alot of roots etc 

depending on how old they were when you buried the stem on them if they were still babies you have probably rotted it with too much water done it myself many times 

in simple terms by the sound of it you have loved them too much buddy:) .

i use a standard 10cm pot and dont spray anything on it and give it a a tiny amount of water once/twice  a week as the roots want to be searching for water

having a look at the pot noodle challange thread recently helped me understand just how big you can go in a small pot and have a look at how much they use for watering it looks next to nothing  

hope you get back on the old horse so to speak as you only get better with practice 

standard desklight may be possible @doobie01, trying to keep equipment down to an absolute minimum, i only wanted to start them off indoors then move them out ASAP

9 hours ago, Stonedjones said:

Hi mate

I'll second the root riot cubes about a fiver for 24 cubes they feed your seedling then go straight into something like biobizz light mix which will feed them for up to 3 weeks then into biobizz all mix in your final pot.

You also need to choose the right nutes for the medium you choose.

Keep at it mate we all fuck up even the seasoned growers but it's an amazing hobby with great rewards at the end lol

I was hoping I wouldnt have to give any nutes @Stonedjones obviously that will reduce yield but are they absolutely essential for growing outdoors?

4 hours ago, noddy said:

@clue_less hi mate it is easy to get dishearted mate but you just got to chalk this one up to experience ,now to the point get some jacks magic compost and also some vermiculite to open the compost up a little and let air to the roots , now get some autos and try again .

I would sprout as you did then get a 1.5 litre pot fill with the compost dip a little hole drop the sprouted seed in and just drop a little compost over the hole , i then put a plastic pot on top a jelly pot to keep it moist until the seed comes up and drops the outer shell i remove the pot and then i put under lights but you could keep them in a sunny 

spot in the greenhouse if they go leggy just use a bamboo stick to hole them up with a little bit of the baggy tie ,once the root out the 1.5 litre pot move them to the pot size you choose , i know some say you should plant them in the final pot from the start but well i think all that cold compost round the seed is not good .

Also try looking and blackpool bounces post and read what he does that or the master of the outdoors beezee lol .

Good luck mate and i am sure if you make a few friends here and aboput people will help you with seed wink wink

stay safe grow well

i'll check out @blackpoolbouncer thanks for the tip @noddy, if anyone can recommend any decent 'easy' outdoor seeds i'd love to know, i'm not sure i picked well to begin with

3 hours ago, Slugums said:

I'd give it another go - I wouldn't be here if I hadn't! ;)

The main thing I saw from what you said above was that you soaked the pots - as others have said, that's overkill for a seedling and could easily cause issues. Damp medium is fine for seedlings.

The stretch - if you can start them under a small wattage CFL (I use 30watts) you will keep the stretch down to a minimum - just position the lamp a few inches above the seedling with it pops above ground.

For me, the most important things I have been told are - 1: environment is crucial, nail that, you will have happy plants. 2: keep it simple.

I'd give it another bash but I'd start a diary here - that way, you will have some very experienced eyes looking over your shoulders.

Good luck! :v:

thanks @Slugums I think it'd be better to have a diary and get advice that way as the site is so full of info it's hard to sift through without getting distracted!

2 hours ago, j2o said:

*wrote this last night but site went offline so couldn't post 

Hi, You say they grew 'leggy' I assume this is stretched/lanky and that's because of not enough light, they think they must be shaded so put all their energy into trying to break the canopy - cept there isn't one so it's futile.  Growing on a windowsill is less than ideal for security & conditional reasons (think bout the window-cleaners seeing it? passer by? neighbor?) & you can't control light pollution spoiling their sense of time, like if somebody turned the light on at night, cars going past with headlights on, streetlights etc etc 

& Yeah you interfered too much, putting them in coco then mixing in compost was a bad idea - btw do you have soil or coco nutrients? You can't interchange them. Constantly misting them will mess with their ability to transpire (lose water through leaves) which they use to cool down and most important, too create pressure within them so they can absorb nutrients/more water. & burying the leaves just created another stress and problem for the plant to deal with, not looked into it much but their leaves will rot and surely this opens them up to disease. 

Even a basic bare bones indoor grow will run you £100+ quite easily due to carbon filters and proper extraction fans.... I'd look into outdoor growing. Last piece of advise is, I know you want to help them grow but best thing you can do is create a good environment for them & leave them alone, just water and inspect on a sensible basis. 

@J20 i only wanted them on the windowsill to get them started as I was worried slugs etc. may take a fancy to them outside if they are too small. Privacy is not an issue for me, though I do wonder about the light pollution in general for greenhouse/outdoor growers as it's never completely dark anywhere anymore is it, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the subject (pun completely intended!)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

A picture says a thousand words, before an after shots

large.IMG_20180429_160110.jpg they sprouted well and shot up, but as you can see got too top heavy too quickly, tried to hold them up but this didn't work

large.IMG_20180509_073841.jpg The one on the right has been planted down to the leaves but since then has barely moved, is there still any hope? the rounded first leaves(coty-something?) have started going yellowy

The one of the left is a blue cheese auto which has never quite made it out of seed, took the longest to germinate and again has now sat like that for about 5 days...

any thoughts anyone?

Edited by clue_less
1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Dr feelgood said:

Jut keep trying mate it will come to you in the end and You can lean from your mistakes. Why not try  becoming a member on here and get the seeds after subscription, 

thanks, how do you become a member? are there tried and tested seeds available?

1 person likes this