Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stummer

Diet

29 posts in this topic

Right so thought as I am a celiac time to get serious and cut out gluten. Been eating a lot healthier compare to my usual junk. Oats for breakfast, then lunch being turkey breast with some veg, dinner a chicken breast with more veg. Between all that I snack on a piece of fruit or two. Here's the thing, I ain't really feeling any different than when I eat gluten lol. Only difference is I can see my weight has dropped in just a few days but that's expected as before I was living on shitty processed food. Thing is though, today my chest feels proper tight almost like I'm on the verge of a panic attack. Never usually feels like that. Am I not eating enough? I usually would have a coffee for breakfast then dinner will just be something shit n that'll be me done for the day. I am actually eating more often since trying to eat healthy.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't bother with lean meat @stummer especially chicken and turkey breast (Unless you know where the animal came from). Id go for fatty meats and organs, where you know the animal has had a half decent life. There is little evidence to show that lean meat will help with losing weight and be healthy. You need to calorie count, but make sure the calories you get are from proper food, not intensively farmed shit. Try and use less meat, its easy, veggie curries are a winner. There seems to be evidence appearing to show that if you add fat to rice (Butter, coconut oil etc.) then you absorb less of the carbs, so there is a calorie reduction. Remember that with many fatty foods, you crap a lot of the fat out (Peanuts are a case in point), whereas with carbs, you absorb all of the energy from the food.

Edited by Comrade Stoker
4 people like this

@stummer thought oats had gluten in?

Just now, bazil brush said:

@stummer thought oats had gluten in?

Brought gluten free oats mate. Some say there is a risk of cross contamination but to be honest I don't have any extreme reactions like some I've read online. Different people have different levels of sensitivity.

@Comrade Stoker cheers mate. I ain't fat anyway I'd like to be a little slimmer but I deffo wouldn't class myself as fat. I'd like to be more cut than anything else. Just downloaded that myfitnesspal to work out calories, not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything. So once I've got a rough idea I'm sure I will be good. Honestly for now only chose the lean meats as like I say wanna be bit more cut. Once I've achieved that though then I am not living like a monk lol. Carbs,fat and protein is what I wanna be focusing getting in right? Just switching from processed food to what I am has to be healthier. Thing is online people seem to go nuts and proper deep into it all lol wanting to get in every mineral and vitamin. Nothing wrong with that but I don't know anyone who lives it like that and they still live a healthy long life.

My main thing was wanting to cut out gluten then though ah why not just go healthy. I don't mind eating healthy its not like a diet for me where I have to force myself to eat it. I would only eat the junk food because its so easily available and laziness. Only been a few days but just been meal prepping and make it a lot easier to not just order a chinese.

2 people like this

Don't be eating the Sunday Roasts at the Queen Vic, they put flour on the spuds lol

5 people like this

45 minutes ago, stummer said:

Only been a few days but just been meal prepping and make it a lot easier to not just order a chinese.

Isn`t that weight watchers new slogan?

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Isn`t that weight watchers new slogan?

lol its true though same as having a bowl full up with fruit. Rather than take the dog shop and grab something like a bag of crisps just been having an orange or something.

29 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

Don't be eating the Sunday Roasts at the Queen Vic, they put flour on the spuds lol

Oi don't lol was proper tempted yesterday. It ain't a Sunday without a roast and a couple pints is it. Done well though, how hot its been and everyone around me on the piss and I've just stuck with the weed. Happy to make a roast at home myself anyway but for now I want to slim down a bit. Makes it sound like I'm chubby, I ain't at all but I want to look better. Not just that though, I know my diet wasn't doing me any good even if I looked alright it ain't no good for my organs. 

I've not been eating enough calories according to that app, thing is I've been eating more smaller healthy meals and don't feel hungry. Only thing I am gonna do is add some brown rice or sweet potato with my lunch as carbs seemed really low. I had planned on doing that anyway but just didn't bother past few days, probably why I feel bit weak n weird. Hopefully adding a few more carbs ill feel alright. I am eating red meat, treating myself to a steak every Friday, rather than ordering a Chinese or kebab. 

Are those multi vitamins worth buying? I don't know anyone who gets 5 fruit n veg a day and drinks the recommended amount of water and all the rest of it. Reading online though and makes you think you gotta do it all to be healthy. I will try to keep a variety with my diet such as changing the meats and fruit n veg. Once I am a bit more in shape ill be a bit more relaxed with it all and have the odd unhealthy meal whilst keeping it gluten n dairy free. Same as on a hot day ill neck a couple cans of cider or crack open a rose wine. Winter's alright can just get on the Jameson or a decent single malt. For now though I ain't drinking anything.

Are you eating starchy foods - potatoes, rice or gluten free pasta - you may be feeling the loss of carbs in your diet if you stopped bread, pastry and the like... Depends on whether or not you are having potatoes in place of bread. Heart palpitations are one symptom of significantly reducing carbs...

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, stummer said:

Only thing I am gonna do is add some brown rice or sweet potato with my lunch as carbs seemed really low.

Aye! that! ;)

1 person likes this

I have never had a test but I think I am allergic to yeast. Yeast is in loads of stuff just like gluten.

If I go with out gluten I don't notice any differance, but on the occasion I have a few beers and a burger or a pizza I feel really bloated and nasty for days. Takes awhile to get back to normal.

1 person likes this

Despite going gluten free I am still bloating a little. Will ask the doctor to test me now then again in a few months to see if there is an improvement with me following the diet. Honestly it can really annoy me but its a bit of a bullshit problem at the same time. I think how can I moan about not being able to eat certain food, when there are people out there with nothing to eat. I am keeping my diet quite strict at the moment to lose some weight but is plenty of gluten free versions of food out there. Is also possibly a vaccine although that's only in phase2 at the moment. Some people also have far worse reactions to me, very really does it cause me pain. It just annoys me looking bloat after eating or drinking it. Also had a reaction to lactose free milk so have had to cut out all dairy but that should go away after some months of my stomach healing. I probably wouldn't switch back to drinking milk anyway after watching that vegan documentary, just be less concerned about eating dairy with certain meals.

Reason I was feeling weak and with a tight chest has to be due to lack of carbs. I had only brought those gluten free oats this evening and have been eating healthier the past 3 days. So that's 3 days without any carbs and I have put in a fair few miles with the dogs in the evenings. Common thing people think when they want to lose weight just cut carbs but I ain't doing that, just going to try get carbs from healthier food sources. I am getting in less calories but don't feel hungry at all as I am actually eating more

I have just lost close to 4 stone since mid January. Carbs are the key to weight loss if that's your goal. 

Scramled Eggs are a gods end for me. Mushrooms with Scrambled Eggs have helped me get back into an almost healthy BMI, soups are another great weapon for the diet arsenal IMO. Even my clothes don't fit me any more, had to actually dig out the belt for even the tight jeans.

But I can honestly say from recent experience that if you go a few days with zero carbs you wont feel great. I wound up on the bathroom floor trying to eat some chocolate digestives after going all but 3 days on two tins of soup and a couple of mushroom omelettes. Once you adapt to eating so little it actually becomes dangerously easy to NOT eat.

So I would defo monitor yourself closely and stick to the recommended "Safe" intake or there about's.

I cant start on the gluten free etc yet as my main goal is to get back into the healthy range of BMI, something I haven't been for too long. But it is something I would like to at least try once I am there. A good thing to maintain I think, a good addition to a good solid healthy living diet. I have seen more and more gluten free products in the shops now so there has to be some serious merit to it. I'd be lying if I said I understood the in depth science of the effects of gluten in a daily diet but I know enough to know its worth a whirl if eating healthy is important to a person.

1 person likes this

I watched something on Netflix called the magic pill, i found it pretty interesting and a massive eye opener 

.. sounds like E :unsure:

1 person likes this

I am gonna be eating carbs but just try and get them from good foods. Oats, sweet potatoes and brown rice for now will be my source of carbs. I felt proper weak and almost like I was close to having a panic attack with my chest tightening. I am bound to lose weight just eating healthy plus being out on the bike which I pick up tomorrow. Gonna grab myself a heart rate monitor as well.

Far as gluten goes, I wouldn't be too concerned if I wasn't celiac. If I eat it my belly looks pregnant and fart like no tomorrow lol . What's annoying is how many things it is in, took for granted before just being able to eat anything. I can't pin point exactly when I started getting like that. In school I would eat anything that was on offer and never had any issues. Also remember raving I would drink a few beers on the train to the rave and feel alright.

I still feel a little bloat now even though everything I am eating is gluten free. I am going to give 3 days of plain meat a try as I have seasoned all my chicken breast. The seasoning is gluten free but have read my stomach may want to avoid spices while it is healing. If I don't notice a difference then I am carrying in with the seasoned chicken breast as plain is boring. Also when I pick up my bike tomorrow going to pop into holland n barret and grab some acidophilus. Supposed to be a good probiotic that helps, only looking to use it as my diet changes over though. Honestly it is a bit of a pain such as when out not being able to just grab anything to eat. More places are doing gluten free food though. Is also a vaccine being worked on which sounds promising, will be at least 5 years yet though.