Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stummer

Microwave rice

Know I can go out and buy a big bag but I'm a member of the microwave generation. Waiting for rice when I can fling it in the microwave? Ain't nobody got time for that. Now I've brought tilda basmati Brown rice, comes in one of those sachets like uncle bens. Pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds and serves two 125g meals of rice. Here is the question though.... I only want one serving of the rice so what do I do with the other 125g? Is it okay to reheat it again later that day or the latest the next day? Have read rice is quite prone to food poisoning and best bet is too just make it cold asap then fridge it and eat within 24hours. So should I just take the second serving cool it asap down then bang it a food container in the fridge? Just wondering if its okay with this microwave rice.

Cheers

Id seperate the rice before cooking... Put half in a resealable food bag,you can microwave it in the food bag :yinyang:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BLhaze said:

Id seperate the rice before cooking... Put half in a resealable food bag,you can microwave it in the food bag :yinyang:

With the food bag would I treat it just as if it was in the sachet and heat it for 90 seconds? Leave it open a little for the steam to escape? Wish they just done smaller packs that serves a meal for one and if you want two just bang two packs in.

Will no doubt cook faster as theres less to cook, same with the rest in the sachet, it wont take the full 90s im guessing but yes, same method youll be fine 

1 person likes this

Just buy a 5kg bag of basmati in a big bag and cook it in a pan/steamer.

While the rice is cooking, make the rest of your food.

Are you really that busy @stummer

Such a waste of packaging, energy, resources, money all to go straight in the bin. 

Just going on the info you give, you use 20 little packs of unnessersary plastic because you're too busy to cook some rice.

Anything out of a microwave tastes shite anyway. 

8 people like this

On 27/04/2018 at 10:36 AM, the lone deranger said:

Anything out of a microwave tastes shite anyway

I get told that I should know how to use a microwave as I used to be a chef. I then tell people that I don't know how to use a microwave because I used to be a chef. Then they ask me how I re-heat stuff with out a microwave? I walk off about then.

I always wonder about those rice sachets that you eat Stummer...

I see them on the shelf in Tesco, just sitting there at a ambient temperature for days. Everything is already cooked and being high in protein I wonder how people are not getting sick from those bags???

HUGH'S EASY PILAF RICE

Get a  couple of onions and chop them up and fry them off till they are see through, put most of the onions into a freezer bag and freeze flat.

With a few of the onions in the saucepan add your washed basmati rice, add twice the amount of water than you did rice, sprinkle a vegatable stock cube in there, salt and pepper.

Bring the water to the boil, put the lid on it and straight in the oven, at a medium temp (about 180)

Take it out in twenty minutes time, it will be fluffy, fresh and cheap rice.

In the twenty minutes it takes the rice to cook you can cook your stir fry or what ever you are having with the rice.

Oh, and those frozen onions... Just snap a piece off because you froze them flat and not in a big ball and you can make your rice really fast next time.

8 people like this

The only thing I would add is a Tablespoon of Cannabutter and a teaspoon of tumeric to make it yellow.

stop using the rice cooker to make ISO...

3 people like this

@Italyou mean they not just for Iso ?? :unsure:

3 people like this

have rice cooker, its a winner, sometimes i have no idea for breakfast, so i have rice with cashew nuts, throw it all in the rice cooker, it comes out almost like my chinese friends used to make. its fire and forget, rinse the rice right, add the right water, 20 mins later eating takes place.

1 person likes this

I have a rice cooker too, I have never cooked rice in it...:thumsup:

2 people like this

I know some say there isn't that much difference in what's healthier. I ain't too arsed anyway ain't like I'm trying to be a bodybuilder. Have to say though I was never that keen on white rice other than from the Chinese on a weekend lol . Brown rice though is lovely, add a little Thai chilli sauce and its banging. 

Can't stand sweet potatoes lol I tried but nah just can't eat em. Getting most my carbs from oats, Brown rice and odd meal have some baked beans. 

1 person likes this