Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

healingofanation

How does weed affect your dreams?

33 posts in this topic

:skin_up:

I almost don't want to write this, and it's a bit close to my heart.... When I see cannabis and sleep mentioned it's often in the negative light, and my agreeing that it does effect it makes me sound like them sometimes...for me it's a pointless question. It absolutely does. 

I started getting what I now know to be sleep paralysis when I was 17. I didn't know what is was then, but it happened a lot if I wasn't smoking - it just started one night..I remember it well. On the whole when it did, subjectively, it was waking up terrified but not be able to move anything, with the absolute belief that I was not alone and that thing that was on me, or behind me, wasn't anything but pure evil. I smoked weed and cigarettes through out my remaining teens and twenties, but there were some gaps, and it'd always come back. As I got older, my 20's, it started to change. I'd sometimes feel detached from my body...it was getting to the point that during it happening, sometimes, I 'd turn to face this thing and actually see it. It was often like a mix of fabric and liquid pouring through the crack in the door, at the top in an upwards direction, so damn present...but then I'd turn back and see me, asleep. I'd always try to shout, screen even...but nothing. I don't get to choose when it happens. In real time it was probably no more than 30 seconds but it 'd feel like forever....being touched got me out of it with a snap, or it'd just stop eventually. My heart would be in my mouth waking up afterwards.

My girlfriend was saying she thought there was something going on, and when we got connected to in the internet in about 97/98 she found stuff on sleep paralysis and, yay, it had a name. I also leanred about the mythology surrounding it - there's a lot of it.

So, yeah, I smoked again for years, but then the next gap when my kids were born, once again, it was happening again. I was also trying to give up tobacco, too (the first time since I was 12...I know, I know..) and then...heh. I had a belly laugh. A deep, dark, ironic - from the soul - belly laugh. Not a chuckle. My body turned off...like, fucking flop. Slowly, from the top down. My head dropped, and I could feel it going down my arms, then my back, followed by my legs. It's not feinting, I'm still fucking there, it's just my body turned off. Quite annoying, that.

She made me go to the doctors after that, cos she said I was slurring sometimes too when I was tired and my sleep pattern was all fucked up... Thing is I'm weak for the fags, and I started smoking again and it just went away. The GP  wasn't that interested, either, they're not really interested in drug using young men. 

There was a noticable pattern forming.. I'm skipping a lot, but it started to add up.

The last straw, when it came to full diagnosis, was going through a very difficult time emotionally, and being in a situation where I couldn't smoke weed or tobacco all the damn time. It just wasn't working, and people were starting to notice. I got a referral to the sleep clinic thorugh a gp who called me in after also saying "Erm...", but he'd looked into it, I got told to stay off the fucking weed so they could measure my brain. I...didn't want to. I missed 2 appointments, but they hassled me, as was my current partner. I eventually did the sleep clinic stuff. Long day.

Catalepsy with narcoleptic symptomology. Apparently, in simple terms, my brain goes into REM too easily, and the mechanism that stops us acting out our dreams cuts in too easily. I don't just fall asleep in random places which is what a lot of people (including me) thought narcolepsy was... infant, the quality of my sleep without weed is fucking abysmal. Autoimmune condition, apparently. Not caused by the weed and stuff.

So, I smoke my weed. When I do I have almost no problems with sleep, just a normal strait thorough 7 hours, that weird shit doesn't go on ( I can get away with cannabis one in 3 days, if I have to ..I try to smoke more often than that/ ha), I can laugh/cry without falling over (but there's a type of laugh that always gets me, that deep dark one) but that's the tobacco. Without it I'd be taking heavy benzos to force sleep, stuff like ghb, and wakeful enhancing drugs like modafinil (heavy drug that one, and they give it soldiers these days instead of speed). It makes me a bit loony, I'm not a fan. Weed doesn't if I'm moderate-ish.

Sorry to go on.

3 people like this

19 hours ago, Absurdist said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he got into sleep science due to the opportunities it presents to molest people as they sleep. 

Serious accusation to make about a man.  Do you have any fact to base that on?  I could agree with some of your other points, but then I noticed your comment about thinking he's a molestor.  I didn't get anything like that feeling from watching him, and as I don't know anything factual about him, I felt grateful to hear his opinions, even if I didn't agree with all of it.

Edited by worzel
1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, worzel said:

Serious accusation to make about a man.  Do you have any fact to base that on?  I could agree with some of your other points, but then I noticed your comment about thinking he's a molestor.  I didn't get anything like that feeling from watching him, and as I don't know anything factual about him, I felt grateful to hear his opinions, even if I didn't agree with all of it.

Yes that was a bit over the top. thank you for reeling me in. I had had a bit to drink and in the cold light of day I will retract it.

That said, there is something about the man that gives me the willies.

Edited by Absurdist
Spelling
2 people like this