Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

healingofanation

How does weed affect your dreams?

33 posts in this topic

Very interesting replies people! Glad to know I'm not the only one..

Thanks for the input Amarillo, I wasn't really aware of REM re-bound but it does make sense. 

I've been slowly cutting down over the last year, no intention of stopping but just for moneys sake due to not being in a position to grow. Maybe this break from the green will help to knock the "before bed doobies" on the head.

Does anyone have an idea how long things take to settle back to normal?

Cheers again everyone :bong:

1 person likes this

not long mate, less than a week(around 3/4 days) if i remember correctly, or at least that's with me anyway, i don't know if everyones going to be similar though...

1 person likes this

cant remember the last time i recalled a dream ..mustve been about 15 ..i have a regular nightmare every 5-10 years but dreams ..nope .

I never smoke before bed. I can't sleep if I'm high. Just doesn't work for me. However it does for a friend of mine. I'm not a heavy smoker anyway and I like wine with my smoke. Not too much mind you. A typical mid week evening for us is a good dinner, with a nice glass of red and a toot. Gone of the days of chillums lol

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

An old post of mine...

Going from not using cannabis to using, my dreams start to disappear after about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I don't have dreams (that I can remember) any more. After stopping cannabis, after about 4 days they start to come back. Usually vivid, not particularly good/nice dreams, Some bad dreams that I'm aware i'm dreaming, usually starting about 2 hours before I wake up. These last for about 2 weeks. After a month I'm back to lucid, excellent dreams that I love/am aware of, for those few hours before waking.

Every year I take a few months off canna. The transition period isn't nice going from using to not (the vivid, bad/strong dreams that mean a restless sleep for those 2 or so weeks), but enjoy the return of dreams to the point I consider not using canna again. (but the pros of using tempt me back until the pros wear off (tolerance) and the dreams vanish, then its about 8 months of using before I decide to take a break... Knowing there will be a shitty 2 weeks followed by the return to cool, controllable, memorable dreams, drifting in and out for those few hours before I wake)

Pros and cons to using cannabis, and pros and cons to not using cannabis. I'm good when using for the effects, and I'm a different type of good when not using.

The last 5 years or so I keep a diary to track the process.

Edit:

Canna use also affects my ability to visualise objects in my minds eye. The ability to picture an object behind closed eyes. When not using canna, I can 'create' amazingly detailed objects, zoom in, rotate around them etc.. But when re starting cannabis I gradually lose that ability over the course of a month or so (a major negative of cannabis for me)..

Canna and sleep = dreamless unconscious, not restless or restful, just a dreamless sleep.

The best quality sleep (where you gradually wake, become more conscious and actually feel cosy and refreshed) happens about a month after stopping.

Its after about two weeks or so of not using that you pass through the vivid (possibly nightmarish/uncomfortable) dreams, into nicer vivid, controllable lucid dreams and then after about another 3 weeks until you are back to 'normal' cannabis free sleep and normal dreaming

At the vivid bad dream stage, you may think 'fuck this' I don't want these dreams, and start back up again, but if you power through the rebound stage, good dreams and more restful/better quality sleep returns.(plus the minds eye visualisation ability returns).... Which may last for many months, until I feel the need for cannas positive effects again. I used to use daily for about 6 years, but didn't realise what I had been missing (because I never went without). So now I generally use for 8 months of the year and take 4 months off.

Hate the nasty dreams when quitting, but love the canna free reality that comes after.

I think dreams are important/have a purpose and by 'killing' those dreams/the ability to dream, isn't a good thing.

Edited by ritchtbiscuit
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, ritchtbiscuit said:

I think dreams are important/have a purpose and by 'killing' those dreams/the ability to dream, isn't a good thing.

Intresting listening to your experience rithctbiscuit.  I found the end line that I've quoted of particular importance for this discussion.   And what Im about to say is not a reply to your post,  more just something that might benefit others reading the thread,  and perhaps might be interesting to @Boojum..   REM clearly exists for a reason as do all types of dreaming.  Night mares being no exception to this, and whilst unpleasant, I believe they can actually help resolve and lessen the effects of trauma.  Which is why its a easy circle to get in to..   You experince trauma , could be recent, could be death of loved one, could be violence,  could be abuse at the hands of a care giver as a child ( memory of which often gets stored differently in a way that ins't accessible ) ...  all of this can lead to or contribute / trigger a number of mental health issues like anxiety, PTSD, depression, BPD, bipolar, eating disorders etc..  all depending on the type of trauma and the person's personality (genetics + environment), age, gender etc  ...  one of the common things amongst all these people though is nightmares..  But rather than just being another unpleasant, unwanted symptom ,  nightmares are often a way of the sub-concious (or whatever you want to call it)  trying to make sense of the event(s) , trying to resolve it, find a solution or just lessen its effects on you etc....  The trouble is,  that when people 'self medicate' with cannaibs because it stops these nightmares,  its not stopping them by actually dealing with the underlying issues,  its just stopping the REM stage from even happening thus making nightmares impossible.. The fact they return - and then some - when you stop only serves to keep you smoking for longer and longer,  kept in a cycle where your not giving your mind a chance to process the issues,  thus sustaining the disorder / symptoms / suffering for longer and longer...   Really its not helping , its masking the problem, putting it off...  its like taking an opiate because your arms hanging off,  it will make it bearable yes, but its not gonna magically stick your arm back together and help it heal up ....   In no way am I saying that this is the reason that people become heavy cannabis users,  but, it certainly is true that alot of people use weed to deal with their issues,  only to get trapped in this cycle,  becoming dependant..  Its easily done,  much nicer than facing up to the trauma and having to re-vive all those unpleasant emotions etc.  but thats one of the only things that will actually help in the end.  doesn't have to be seeing a shrink can just be a mate, go on a walk out in the wilderness away form people,  take some shrooms or some decent MDMA and actually talk about this shit,  talk about the causes for your nightmares etc.....   life too short to just put it off forever and smoking weed to numb things out...   Its like alot of the medication the doctors prescribe,  SSRI, mood stabilisers etc,,  it might serve a purpose short term to keep someone stable through a rough patch,  but (99% of the time)  its not the best long term fix....  

Anyway,  rambling on now,  not going to go off too in depth as really getting into another subject entirely ...  REM,  there for a reason.

Edited by Amarillo slim
4 people like this

I dream regardless. But if I haven't smoked at all like recently I haven't then they get a lot more vivid and crazy (I'm expecting crazy vivid dreams tonight lol). It's usually the last few hours of sleep when I dream. When I wake up to go to toilet then go back to bed is when I'm bound to have mad dreams lol.

I agree that it can be a bad thing to shut down dreaming completely. When blazing consistently I still dream but nothing like when I suddenly stop. Some movie directors ought to get inspiration from my weed break dreams lol.

1 person likes this

@Amarillo slim

lol

Great minds...

I was looking at one or two of my old posts on canna/dreams and came across this...

"I tend to find that when taking a break, any issues that you have let slide because of cannas nice 'its not worth it' effect, due to having canna in your system (and for up to about 2 weeks after stopping)can come back if not dealt with at the time.

But after those 2 weeks-ish, some of those issues that you let slide at the time can come back in dream form. Canna delays REM sleep, which could be your brains way of sorting that daily shit out while you sleep. Canna possibly affecting this process by not allowing you to go over it in dream form? At a subconscious level.

Canna(to me)is a dream killer but an imagination enhancer.

eg.. A 'friend' had to look after the house while I was at a funeral and I came back from it, went to my jar (kept up high in a cupboard) and immediately thought it was looking a bit low... Must be my imagination as my heads a tad fucked from dealing with the death/funeral arrangements etc... And I sat down and noticed a (smaller than mine but size of my friends) shoe print on my polished black table right below the cupboard. Numerous possibilities go through my head, and not wanting to think the worst of my friend put it to the back of my mind.

It was only about a year later when I was taking a few months off canna that this issue came back to me vividly in dream form, repeatedly. Maybe not daily but every few days, until I made the decision that there were no other possibilities as to why I thought the stash was significantly lower in the jar and then noticed there was a strange shoe print to enable access to the cupboard. Whether or not this was the case (never confronted the friend) but it is now a weight off my mind as I was forced to decide/make the choice of all the options I came up with that the friend stole some canna. So at least in my mind the weighing issue was resolved and the dreams went away.

I believe if this happened when I was on a break, then it may have been dealt with in my dreaming downtime over the next few days or so, and not delayed until I was canna free for a few weeks a year later and my ability to dream (remembering dreams and lucid dreaming) came back.

Over the years since, I have kept a diary of canna use, dreams, issues etc and have noticed this with one or two other events. Nothing as bad, but certainly during canna breaks dreams come back with a vengeance for about a month, and one or two put off at the time issues from weeks/months previous can come up, affecting me more than I thought than at the time they actually happened, then peter off, and then return to 'normal' dream patterns after about another month or two.

Canna use after a bad event possibly just putting off dealing with it by not letting the 'normal' un-stoned brain the time/ability to process fully?"

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/367758-dreams-and-lack-of-weed/&page=4

3 people like this

Thanks for all the responses people, it's been really interesting reading the experiences others have had. 

It seems that although everyone is affected slightly differently, there is an overall link between the canna and dreaming.

I managed to get some banging gringo last night. Slept like a log until about 8ish and don't recall any dreams of my enough. 

I managed to not have a bedtime smoke and left it at least 2 hours between final smoke and sleep. After only smoking has for the past few weeks I was absolutely cained off a small doob and a second king size cocktail.

I think my tolerance has dropped significantly which is a nice touch in terms of economy!

All the best folks, feel free to add any more weird dream experiences and their links to the herb :smokin:

Not weed related, but I've been taking valerian root cos of insomnia recently, and that's given me some fucked-up dreams. I think one thing about dreaming is that a lot of the time we dream, but when we wake up we don't remember that we dreamed - it's only the really vivid dreams that we remember (and those ones are generally the fucked-up ones, they tend to last into wakefulness :ouch:lol WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT ??? lol ).

1 person likes this

lol the painkiller codeine gives me mad dreams. Something about that stuff, seems to give everybody else I know mad dreams too.

Same here man, I’ve been out for weed for a couple of weeks now.... (should be getting a load this weekend) and I’ve been really struggling to get to sleep at night and when I do I’ve had some pretty wacky dreams 

This Joe Rogan interview of Brittish Matthew Walker is a really insightful examination of sleep.  Insomniacs, dreamers, non-dreamers, shift workers will all probably find watching this a benefit:

I was looking for the Insomniac Thread link but I couldn't find it and I was getting frustrated with the '420 search timing restrictions lol

Edited by worzel

Read Walker's book a while back. Not a bad book, learnt a bit from it. But it could have been 1/3 the length and twice as good.

Walker has an overly simplistic message, that getting less than 8 hrs does you all manner of harm and that this is a modern problem.

Unfortunately for him, while he was writing his book, someone gave Kalahari Bushmen sleep trackers and found that they stayed up late round the fire and then woke up early due to the cold of the morning, rather than sleeping like logs for 9-10 hrs as Walker would have preferred. He tied himself in knots trying to weave this observation into his narrative and was ultimately unconvincing.

Rogan asked him about the effect of weed on sleep and he just dodged the question, started talking about alcohol instead. He didn't so much converse with Rogan as recite paragraphs from his book. I found him to be an unlikable character. It wouldn't surprise me if he got into sleep science due to the opportunities it presents to molest people as they sleep. 

Science knows very little about the effect of cannabis on sleep/dreams. Many people (including Walker) say  that  it eliminates REM sleep. But the one study i could find showed a modest (like 10 %) reduction.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that cannabis doesn't stop me dreaming, but does severely affect my ability to recall them.

1 person likes this