Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkVacuum

Interesting Article on Lighting

Hope this is in the right forum... Found this interesting and informative article on too much light and the domino effect / catch 22 it creates... Probably second nature to the experienced growers, but this really helped diagnose the crazy problems I just had in my tent!!

A revelation to me! Feel like I understand a whole lot more :yep:

http://www.growweedeasy.com/too-much-light

Cheers

4 people like this

Good read that mate, cheers

2 people like this

It's a good article, a lot of people fail to understand how too much light causes problems. Especially a lot of new led growers using the purple spectrum of light, I say purple spectrum because it's new growers that seem to purchase the dam things (at one time myself included) they think these super squat plants are fantastic but in reality they are stunting the plants growth and causing all sorts of problems and then try to fix it by flushing, adding this adding that and really just chasing their tales. It don't seem to matter how much you try explain to them what they are doing, they just think hey look my light is 6 inches from the canopy. Damage is usually done long before the plants show the signs. Producing buds that are light burned, tastless because the terpines etc have been burnt out of them. So 18 - to 30 inches is what I advise but usually ignored.

Thanks for posting the link.

Toke.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, tokenroll said:

It's a good article, a lot of people fail to understand how too much light causes problems. Especially a lot of new led growers using the purple spectrum of light, I say purple spectrum because it's new growers that seem to purchase the dam things (at one time myself included) they think these super squat plants are fantastic but in reality they are stunting the plants growth and causing all sorts of problems and then try to fix it by flushing, adding this adding that and really just chasing their tales. It don't seem to matter how much you try explain to them what they are doing, they just think hey look my light is 6 inches from the canopy. Damage is usually done long before the plants show the signs. Producing buds that are light burned, tastless because the terpines etc have been burnt out of them. So 18 - to 30 inches is what I advise but usually ignored.

Thanks for posting the link.

Toke.

3 hours ago, colboyxx said:

Good read that mate, cheers

Thanks for reading guys! :thumsup:

I’ve been through just that over the last couple of weeks. I’ve been growing in and off for 5 under cfl and when my first grow tent finally fell to bits, I upgraded it to a bigger one and got an 400w HPS setup. I’m on my second grow with it, but haven’t been satisfied either time. On the first grow the plants went too yellow to early in flowering, and I ad s worse yield than under my 250w cfl!  

Wracking my brains and just couldn’t work it out. Then the same started happening to my current grow, so I fed too much, thinking they had a deficiency, then when they started to burn, I flushed them and reduced the PH. Still no joy.

large.5ad5107adb853_PurpleandJack.jpglarge.5ad51079a98c1_JackHerer.jpglarge.5ad5107888277_StrawberryHaze.jpglarge.5ad5107740127_PurpleBud.jpg

Then I stumbled on that article. I raised the light and switched off the ‘super lumen’ setting on my ballast yesterday.

The leaves are starting to straighten again (I think) but there’s quite extensive damage. Still got 2-3 weeks til i’ve reached the 45 day flower mark and i’ll be checking the trichs on my Jack Herer, so fingers crossed there’ll be some recovery! Praying the buds will fatten up more! 

At least i’m locked and loaded with new knowledge for my next grow.

Half of the fun fun of this amazing hobby is  learning new things and the hope of the end result being perfect!

Edited by DarkVacuum
3 people like this