Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BonnieAuto

Breeding Photosensitive Plants

Hi all :yep: 

Looking for advice on breeding the more photosentive breeds like HFH or Danish, but i know they tend to hermie with unnatural light, can a male typhoon stress out and pass a hermie gene like a female would ? 

Plan is to pollinate one of my dutch passion autos for next seasons run. Cheers.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, BonnieAuto said:

Hi all :yep: 

Looking for advice on breeding the more photosentive breeds like HFH or Danish, but i know they tend to hermie with unnatural light, can a male typhoon stress out and pass a hermie gene like a female would ? 

Plan is to pollinate one of my dutch passion autos for next seasons run. Cheers.

If it stresses out and becomes hermie , then inturn pollinates the plants around it, then yes you could end up with hermie prone offspring,..

27 minutes ago, panik said:

If it stresses out and becomes hermie , then inturn pollinates the plants around it, then yes you could end up with hermie prone offspring,..

Hey you mad fucker, I like yer trees pal:naughty:

I honestly never seen a male start throwing out pistils half way threw but then again I've never made seeds. I assumed males couldn't hermie to females for what ever reason, would the signs be less obvious of a stress as fook chap who might pass unwanted traits ? sorry I ken its early lol

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BonnieAuto said:

Hey you mad fucker, I like yer trees pal:naughty:

I honestly never seen a male start throwing out pistils half way threw but then again I've never made seeds. I assumed males couldn't hermie to females for what ever reason, would the signs be less obvious of a stress as fook chap who might pass unwanted traits ? sorry I ken its early lol

yeah males can hermi and throw out pistils,  self pollinate etc...  

In regards to hermi traits being passed on,  imo its more to do with the fact that a plant exposed to stress that hermis clearly had quite a major tendency to do so (something that could be passed on regardless of being expressed)  .. The fact it did receive stress can also make a difference via epigenetics, but this is less of a factor to consider imo...  Another example would be when breeding for feminised seeds,  with up to date techniques the herm issues associated with fems in the past are not much (or any) concern..  why?  partly the methods used to get the donor producing pollen , plus using separate clones as target plants etc (the epigenetics parts) ..  But the more important thing being, herm testing plants prior to breeding.   something that alot of people over look because it might seem unnecessary and alot of effort, difference being their fems will likely through out balls if the PH,  light cyle etc go slighty wrong.   With properly tested parents you won't have these issues,  or at the very least will be aware and therefore able to warn people and suggest precautions to prevent issues ....   

When I'm selecting parents to make a strain I will get them in under a bulb,  fuck with the ph abit, change the light cycles around,  couple weeks 12/12, then give a couple days of 18,  then 24, then back to 12/12,  maybe leave it on 12/12 then but occasionally interrupt in the night for 10 mins etc ...   root restriction, snap couple stems,  get the top too close to the bulb so it gets heat stress etc .... basically do everything you can to make that plant through out balls.... this is the only way I've found to properly select plants for breeding fems with,,  you find a plant that doest herm no matter what you through at it..  THATS your plant to take and reverse with STS and use to pollinate your target plants (that have also been tested)  ....

personally if you want to breed anything half decent I would avoid anything with known hermi traits like the plague...  Any plant that clearly shows hermi traits with only minor stress should be taken straight out of any breeding project you had planned, and imo should be incinerated immediately , male or female...  

saying all this your probably just looking at making some quick hacks that finish early,  so sure get some early danish and cross to an auto,  you'll get a semi auto that finishes nice and early and gives good smoke..  just might end up with a few seeds in your buds or a plot getting pollinated because a plant went full hermi on you... and when that happens,  you cant say they didnt warn you lol

Edited by Amarillo slim
6 people like this

30 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

yeah males can hermi and throw out pistils,  self pollinate etc...  

In regards to hermi traits being passed on,  imo its more to do with the fact that a plant exposed to stress that hermis clearly had quite a major tendency to do so (something that could be passed on regardless of being expressed)  .. The fact it did receive stress can also make a difference via epigenetics, but this is less of a factor to consider imo...  Another example would be when breeding for feminised seeds,  with up to date techniques the herm issues associated with fems in the past are not much (or any) concern..  why?  partly the methods used to get the donor producing pollen , plus using separate clones as target plants etc (the epigenetics parts) ..  But the more important thing being, herm testing plants prior to breeding.   something that alot of people over look because it might seem unnecessary and alot of effort, difference being their fems will likely through out balls if the PH,  light cyle etc go slighty wrong.   With properly tested parents you won't have these issues,  or at the very least will be aware and therefore able to warn people and suggest precautions to prevent issues ....   

When I'm selecting parents to make a strain I will get them in under a bulb,  fuck with the ph abit, change the light cycles around,  couple weeks 12/12, then give a couple days of 18,  then 24, then back to 12/12,  maybe leave it on 12/12 then but occasionally interrupt in the night for 10 mins etc ...   root restriction, snap couple stems,  get the top too close to the bulb so it gets heat stress etc .... basically do everything you can to make that plant through out balls.... this is the only way I've found to properly select plants for breeding fems with,,  you find a plant that doest herm no matter what you through at it..  THATS your plant to take and reverse with STS and use to pollinate your target plants (that have also been tested)  ....

personally if you want to breed anything half decent I would avoid anything with known hermi traits like the plague...  Any plant that clearly shows hermi traits with only minor stress should be taken straight out of any breeding project you had planned, and imo should be incinerated immediately , male or female...  

saying all this your probably just looking at making some quick hacks that finish early,  so sure get some early danish and cross to an auto,  you'll get a semi auto that finishes nice and early and gives good smoke..  just might end up with a few seeds in your buds or a plot getting pollinated because a plant went full hermi on you... and when that happens,  you cant say they didnt warn you lol

Yeah your right messing with notoriously hermi prone stock is asking for trouble but at lat 57 I have limited options. Stable outdoor strain's that spring to mind are biddy early and passion #1 but i don't know if they will finish in time this far up north. 

Messed with autos started indoor's 3 years ago and they just didn't have enough height off the wet ground so the buds turned to mush quick. I need to skim the outdoors strains thread like hawk for a stable and early photo to cross with my autos. 

Your advice probably saved a massive headache, cheers :)

18 minutes ago, BonnieAuto said:

Yeah your right messing with notoriously hermi prone stock is asking for trouble but at lat 57 I have limited options. Stable outdoor strain's that spring to mind are biddy early and passion #1 but i don't know if they will finish in time this far up north. 

Messed with autos started indoor's 3 years ago and they just didn't have enough height off the wet ground so the buds turned to mush quick. I need to skim the outdoors strains thread like hawk for a stable and early photo to cross with my autos. 

Your advice probably saved a massive headache, cheers :)

yeah 99% sure biddy early won't finish for you at that lat,  passion 1 possibly better but still,  57 you probably want very early / semi auto type strains like guerrillas gold 2/3/5 or perhaps danish stuff like you mentioned...  I know a few people who grow at those lats and higher in places like Scandinavia and they use mostly autos ... but not the kind of autos you get from dutch passion etc,,  but autos that have been bred for these kind of outdoor conditions, Which,  unfortunately , aren't really commercially available .

il pm you

4 people like this

18 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

yeah 99% sure biddy early won't finish for you at that lat,  passion 1 possibly better but still,  57 you probably want very early / semi auto type strains like guerrillas gold 2/3/5 or perhaps danish stuff like you mentioned...  I know a few people who grow at those lats and higher in places like Scandinavia and they use mostly autos ... but not the kind of autos you get from dutch passion etc,,  but autos that have been bred for these kind of outdoor conditions, Which,  unfortunately , aren't really commercially available .

il pm you

Yeah I thought they probably weren't fast enough finishers, ah okay,alright mate. 

12 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

il pm you

Likes been said the GG would probs be your best bet and i think one of the vendors on here sell them. We used to give the GG#3 24/0 for 4 weeks indoors under artificial light and then plant out for the 1st of june and they would go straight into flower and be ready for the end of july.

Most plants grew maybe to a metre with rock solid buds. 

2 people like this

That is an interesting technique @Dr feelgood presume that only works with plants with Autos in their lineage :g:

This year i am trying a couple of beans from Kalashnikov seeds maybe worth you looking at?

I'm nowhere near your lat but those guys breed in Russia and I think the express range can handle Russian outdoor climates so maybe good for you too?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mr_git said:

This year i am trying a couple of beans from Kalashnikov seeds maybe worth you looking at?

I'm nowhere near your lat but those guys breed in Russia and I think the express range can handle Russian outdoor climates so maybe good for you too?

Thats looks really interesting mate! Purple russian looks too good to not try :yep: 

Maybe not as wet but definitely as cold and a short of a growing window as me, going by their seed descriptions. good shout.  

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, BonnieAuto said:

Thats looks really interesting mate! Purple russian looks too good to not try :yep: 

Maybe not as wet but definitely as cold and a short of a growing window as me, going by their seed descriptions. good shout.  

I'm on the purple Russian express this year too ;)

Good luck with choosing your contender's and all the best for the season ahead :)

1 person likes this

On 16/04/2018 at 11:51 PM, cumbriangreen said:

That is an interesting technique @Dr feelgood presume that only works with plants with Autos in their lineage :g:

I imagine your wright mate.