Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LovinTheBeans

opinions
Calling all AUTOPOT users!! Setup questions

25 posts in this topic
31 minutes ago, panik said:

:doh:Definitely not a good idea coming from an experienced Auto pot grower,.. they need that 2" pebbles so they are not sitting in direct water drenched 24/7

was talking about mixed in with soil mate ...  it just takes up space.  

1 person likes this

Ok... this is going to be fun.  I went to ready the pots and dragged the "coco" out of storage to find its not coco!  Feck... my last run was soil (clover no less, im sure @blackpoolbouncer would approve)....  so this changes things somewhat.  Clover is certainly reusable but im gonna research a bit more.  I *guess* ill be using 40% or 50% perlite but watch this space :)

Posted (edited)

So far, 8 beans popped in kitchen roll and are now in 1 litre of soil/perlite mix with cannazym, formulex and nitrozym all in half doses. Mycorrizal fungi was added too.

For finals im 90% decided on a 50/30/20 mix of soil/perlite/clay balls which should hopefully make for a light, non clogging mix.  Further research on the hydro nutes would point to it being totally fine but i may need to adjust the PH upward...  i plan on using silicon anyway so it should all balance out.

Edited by LovinTheBeans

Just a quick question about the autopot valves. I am thinking of getting some for my allotment/polytunnel to keep things alive when I go away

How much pressure do they need to operate?

Would a water butt provide enough pressure to activate the passive valves? I know a lot of float valves need a bit of pressure to activate water release, I have had a mostly empty tank and a mostly full water butt before now...

I admit ignorance about them, I usually use more active than passive control.

it would be nice to be able to fill the water butt before I go away and know that at least the plants in the polytunnel would be kept alive.

I think 6 inches of tank elevation is the minimal requirement ;)

1 person likes this

On 15/04/2018 at 10:35 AM, Autofatman said:

Hiya pal! 

I've just done my first ever autopot run and it's quite easy to get set up and running really. 

Definitely have 2 inches of clay balls in the bottom of the pots with the gold root control Matt below them facing down.

I used 50/50 soil and perlite.

I grew some pineapple express and 2 went over 5ft and 2 stayed under 2 ft 

Which caused shit.'my fault not training'.

Your need to hand feed them for at least 2 weeks before putting on the system to allow the roots go grow through the clay balls and root the pot and you r be flying mate. 

I've got more seeds on for another go straight away lol , I was leaving mine for 3 days and no problems really just pH which I had someone checking for me.

I never used mine in trays like your going too. If you do put them in try I'd get some bungs and drill some small holes in the bottoms for the pipes to run through to the auto trays , small enough to be water tight but not pinching and stopping them. 

My trays blocked in the last week and I have a tent full of water , luckily I had my Matt in the bottom to catch it all lol .

My Res was only 4-5 inches off the ground.

Apart from that I liked using them !

I just stuffed my grow up over feeding and them locking out :/ i didn't think about ec but kept pH tiptop. 

Sorry it's all over the shop pal , just smoked some bad ass amnesia lol

Atb! 

Hi, I hav  a 4pot autopot in 1.2 x1.2 tent, using tropical 70/30 mix. Would like to start  with 2 pots at first. 

I’m a beginner totally new to all this. Please can you help? Pretty much need a step by step guide. 

1 person likes this

Hey bud , really busy this morning I'll try get round to you soon , as nippers leaving assembly! 

I've got rid of my auto system now as it just started causing me loads of shit lol!

I'd say your better of with Coco in auto pots 

Atb! 

On 18/04/2018 at 5:23 PM, MicroDoser said:

Just a quick question about the autopot valves. I am thinking of getting some for my allotment/polytunnel to keep things alive when I go away

How much pressure do they need to operate?

Would a water butt provide enough pressure to activate the passive valves? I know a lot of float valves need a bit of pressure to activate water release, I have had a mostly empty tank and a mostly full water butt before now...

I admit ignorance about them, I usually use more active than passive control.

it would be nice to be able to fill the water butt before I go away and know that at least the plants in the polytunnel would be kept alive.

They'll operate with minimal pressure especially if you raise the reservoir as high as you can. You can buy a stand and then prop that up with paving slabs as high as you can. I've been using autopots on and off for 10 years and I've never had an aqua valve fail. Occasionally the 6mm pipe gets blocked but dripclean all but solves this issue.

7 hours ago, gdogg said:

They'll operate with minimal pressure especially if you raise the reservoir as high as you can. You can buy a stand and then prop that up with paving slabs as high as you can. I've been using autopots on and off for 10 years and I've never had an aqua valve fail. Occasionally the 6mm pipe gets blocked but dripclean all but solves this issue.

I have been using them now for months and they are great. Really low pressure, reliable valves.