Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stummer

Made it through hell now need your advice

33 posts in this topic

I always find it harder to trim the leaves when they've dried out and curled over the buds, its easier to part trim them then hang the bud and do a proper trim when its dried, just what I do but each to there own I suppose.

Trimming is a pain in the arse but it gets done. Not as concerned about that as to wondering what fucked up this drying. Not so much to do with the speed of it, but the fact the buds lost its smell. Know your gonna all say it'll come back but it won't trust me its messed up. Have had it happen before and my best crops have always been when no other tent is running in the room. That's why I didn't expect this one to go like this tbh.

Thinking the cause is from the days we had that was hot? Or could it be too much air in the bedroom where the tent is? Humidity never once dropped below 49% though I am sure of that. I also didn't have the Windows open wide and even if I did it wouldn't of been blowing on the bud as that was hanging inside the tent. I had the fan speed running on the lowest setting possible too. 

Would love to know what you guys think. Those days we've had that are hot enough to mess up drying? Also would having windows open to have the room colder be okay? Still only running extraction on low setting no intake. Leaning more towards thinking its to do with heat we had and so next time when I chop I know its gonna be hot so will have the windows open wider. 

8 hours ago, stummer said:

you mention too much air exchange, you mean your exhaust fan was sucking out air too fast?

That's it mate..My fan has an inbuilt temperature control, I think the slowest speed is 30% which was way too much. I'll have something better rigged next time, mebs hang the bud in a box and run ducting from the tent to the box. 

The water cure was a saviour this time:yep:

Cheers

1 person likes this

Mate mentioned he messed up drying by adding a heater lol God knows why he would wanna do that. He is gonna fetch over some bud tomorrow and so will see how it compares with mine. I think an early grow I done I had the Windows open so the room was fairly cold and the bud came out fine. Plus like I say the weeds in a tent so ain't like breeze blowing on it. Next time gonna make the room a lot colder and if no issue then I can be sure it was the heat. Pain having to wait until next crop to guess but not got a choice.

Posted (edited)

On 4/21/2018 at 8:20 AM, stummer said:

I just got a yield of 1057g but not too happy with it. It took a week to dry, highest the temp went was 71 when the day was proper hot. The humidity never dropped below 49% either. 

Just to clarify, didn't you only have a 600w over that crop? *edit* I actually had a look and it appears you were running 2 600s.

If its actually dry after a week, then you've fried it and IMO there is usually no saving it, but it takes some doing to dry weed in a week even at the parameters you've mentioned above - any issues throughout flowering like overfeeding, too hot, underwatering or whatever will give a poor flower, if the structure is poor and theres nothing to it then I can see why it's dried to nothing in 7 days.. 

Edited by Golden Syrup
1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Golden Syrup said:

Just to clarify, didn't you only have a 600w over that crop? *edit* I actually had a look and it appears you were running 2 600s.

If its actually dry after a week, then you've fried it and IMO there is usually no saving it, but it takes some doing to dry weed in a week even at the parameters you've mentioned above - any issues throughout flowering like overfeeding, too hot, underwatering or whatever will give a poor flower, if the structure is poor and theres nothing to it then I can see why it's dried to nothing in 7 days.. 

Yeah two 600w mate, usually was pulling around 13-15oz under a single light. My mates dried in 7 days and was alright like, far better than mine. Thing is his dried in a week and that was with him running the fan on full speed. I even had my fan set on the slowest speed and still was dry in a week. Makes me think the room got too warm? Got to be that init, the humidity never once went below 49%. 

Next time I'm gonna run the fan speed on the lowest setting still but also open the bedroom windows the tent is in to get the room cooler. Trouble is ill be taking the next crop down in August lol no real way of avoiding the heat then is there. Can only try I guess and see how it goes. Bit shit now having more weed than I've ever had before and the quality just ain't there. 

1 minute ago, stummer said:

My mates dried in 7 days and was alright like, far better than mine. Thing is his dried in a week and that was with him running the fan on full speed. I even had my fan set on the slowest speed and still was dry in a week. Makes me think the room got too warm? Got to be that init, the humidity never once went below 49%. 

1 minute ago, stummer said:

Bit shit now having more weed than I've ever had before and the quality just ain't there. 

It might've been something you've done during the grow rather than how you've dried it, food for thought dude. No one but you can tell you what you've done wrong and how to correct it, the rest of us are guessing at best. But in my experience most weed that hasn't got the qquality is usually overfed and underwatered. :yinyang:

4 minutes ago, Golden Syrup said:

It might've been something you've done during the grow rather than how you've dried it, food for thought dude. No one but you can tell you what you've done wrong and how to correct it, the rest of us are guessing at best. But in my experience most weed that hasn't got the qquality is usually overfed and underwatered. :yinyang:

Yeah could be that, had some issue with me being a div and having the light bit too close. Didn't have burn marks but was producing pistils late into flower. Did end up correcting itself but like you say it may have an effect. I have had weed mess up like this before, only went I've run another tent in the room. That makes me think its heat, room wasn't as cold as I'd of like it really. Easy to say that now but I was more thinking about keeping the humidity at a decent level and fan running on slowest setting thought would take longer. Only myself to blame and fuck all I can do now really. 

Posted (edited)

I harvest then strip the fan leaves off, then grab as many non sticky leaves as I can. I cut the plant at the very bottom and hang it up, in the tent. Temp stays around 70 ish.

Sometimes, the temps get up to high 80s in a hot summer, they dry a lot quicker of course but the only time I had issues with taste was all down to the growing techniques.

I used to manicure plants wet. A nightmare with containing the smell. It clings to you and no way could you pop out to see someone if harvesting.

I'd place cut buds and colas on newspaper in a bowl. Dried in a tent, a week to ten days usually does it.

My extractor runs full on.

ps, And yes, the bloody back!

Edited by MyDisplayName2000
Spelling and to add more info.

thats why its a good idea to wear marigolds or rubber gloves so the trics dont stick to your skin.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

thats why its a good idea to wear marigolds or rubber gloves so the trics dont stick to your skin.

Worst thing is I'd be trimming all day with no gloves. Finish whatever time in the morning and think fuck it time for a wank lol no chance. That'll be my idea of hell, having to trim for hours every day and when you finish with sticky hands strippers come out to take the bud away from you.

My mate came and saw the bud and said its not as bad as I think. Is some improvement just with it being jarred but I've had better also had the windows open all day and rooms much cooler. Deffo tells me it got a bit too warm when drying. Nothing I can do now, can't cry over spilt milk. Next grow I'm gonna smash it and yeah all part of learning init.

1 person likes this

Too much info lol

So many ideas around ah, but what's best?

2 hours ago, colboyxx said:

So many ideas around ah, but what's best?

Think have to make adjustments depending on your place of drying and adjust it according to the weather. I could of opened my Windows more and cooled things down more. That's where I went wrong and should have known better. Lesson learned just like I soon clocked on all my best crops have been when I have dried without the second tent still growing something. Took me long enough lol and won't be making this mistake again either. Must be learning as I go because I'm chuffed with the yield and even if I half it as used to run one light. It still beats any of my previous grows.

Alright @stummer 

I have had similar problems.

Only ever with heavy sativa strains, all of which appeared to grow well, even smelt nice, then when dried smelt like hay, even when dried slowly. Needless to say I gassed the lot and the extract was very nice. 

I even let my old man try some and he said it was good.

So I have concluded either I don't like sats or they don't like me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they were shit, just not for me.

What were you growing mate?

Jj:yinyang:

1 person likes this