Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stummer

Made it through hell now need your advice

33 posts in this topic

Started at 12 with my brother and just jumped out a shower after finishing. Still will need to run the hover around but can't be doing that this late. I hate chopping with a passion man the boredom and bad back gets to me big time. Gonna force my best mate next time and just have them both do 3 each and ill do 4. Even that will get to me lol but better than today's effort.

Right so here is where I need your help as its all new too me. What do I set the sms dual fan controller too? I have unplugged the intake. Temperature I will set to 18 degrees, but what should I set for the minimum fan speed and maximum? Cheers

1 person likes this

I always turn it down as low as I can without any smell escaping. You really want drying to take about 2 weeks. I know it tends to go quicker if you trim wet, but I have limited experience of wet trimming - I remove the biggest fans and  hang.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, monkeypig said:

I always turn it down as low as I can without any smell escaping. You really want drying to take about 2 weeks. I know it tends to go quicker if you trim wet, but I have limited experience of wet trimming - I remove the biggest fans and  hang.

So turn the maximum speed knob down? Roughly where do you have it? Just turned mine up a little as my humidity is reading quite high at 71%. Not sure I believe my read though lol just can't see it being that. Know over the days it will drop though and as it does I will slowly lower the fan speed.

Is your controller the hybrid or the old one? I've got the hybrid pro and can comfortably turn it down to 1 and the pro bit ramps up the fan speed every hour for a bit to keep humidity down.

11 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

Is your controller the hybrid or the old one? I've got the hybrid pro and can comfortably turn it down to 1 and the pro bit ramps up the fan speed every hour for a bit to keep humidity down.

I am guessing it's the old one. Just don't want it drying out too fast and ending up shit, will be gutted after all these weeks. Must be others who use the SMS controller and know what they set the maximum fan speed too?

I'd turn it as low as you can that still sucks in your tent then?

1 person likes this

Cheers mate gonna do that, also lower it even more as humidity drops and get further into drying. Will keep some notes as well that make no sense to anyone else but let's me remember what I done for next time.

if anyone else does use the dual SMS fan controller though be a diamond and let me know what ya set the maximum fan speed too.    Cheers

Have lowered the fan speed some more, I think by tomorrow ill just have it running on as low as possible. My friend has this sms fan controller and didn't even use it when it came to drying. Said he just plugged in the fan so it was running at full speed. Still took a week and was decent bud with no hay smell at all. 

Might be a bit too late but don't trim your fan leaves. If you do, moisture escapes from the cut ends far quicker than it would through the stomata.

This speeds up your drying.

Here are some good words from the great man, Robert Connell Clarke on the subject. Bolding, italics and underlining is mine.

Curing Floral Clusters 

Harvesting, drying, curing, and storage of Cannabis floral clusters to preserve 
and enhance appearance, taste, and psychoactivity is often discussed among 
cultivators. More floral clusters are ruined by poor handling after harvest than by 
any other single cause. When the plant is harvested, the production of fine floral 
clusters for smoking begins. Cannabis floral clusters are harvested by two basic 
methods: either individually, by cutting them from the stalks and carefully 
packaging them in shallow boxes or trays, or all simultaneously by uprooting or 
cutting off the entire plant. In instances where the floral clusters mature 
sequentially, individual harvest is used because the entire plant is not ripe at any 
given time. Removing individual clusters also makes drying easier and quicker 
because the stalks are divided into shorter pieces. Floral clusters will dry much 
more slowly if the plant is dried whole. This means that all of the water in the 
plant must pass through the stomata on the surface of the leaves and calyxes 
instead of through cut stem ends. The stomata close soon after harvest and 
drying is slowed since little water vapor escapes. 

Boiling attached Cannabis roots after harvesting whole plants, but before drying, 
is an interesting technique. Origi nally it was thought by cultivators that boiling the 
roots would force resins to the floral clusters. In actuality, there are very few 
resins within the vascular system of the plant and most of the resins have been 
secreted in the heads of glandular trichomes. Once resins are secreted they are 
no longer water-soluble and are not part of the vascular system. As a result, 
neither boiling nor any other process will move resins and cannabinoids around 
the plant. However, boiling the roots does lengthen the drying time of the whole 
plant. Boiling the roots shocks the stomata of the leaves and forces them to close 
immediately; less water vapor is allowed to escape and the floral clusters dry 
more slowly. If the leaves are left intact when drying, the water evaporates 
through the leaves instead of through the flowers. 

Whole plants, limbs, and floral clusters are usually hung upside down or laid out 
on screen trays to dry. Many cultivators believe that hanging floral clusters 
upside-down to dry makes the resins flow by gravity to the limb tips. As with 
boiling roots, little if any transport of cannabinoids and resins through the 
vascular system occurs after the plant is harvested. Inverted drying does cause 
the leaves to hang next to the floral clusters as they dry, and the resins are 
protected from rubbing off during handling. Floral clusters also appear more 
attractive and larger if they are hung to dry. When laid out flat to dry, floral 
clusters usually develop a flattened, slightly pressed profile, and the leaves do 
not dry around the floral clusters and protect them. Also, the floral clusters are 
usually turned to prevent spoilage; this requires extra handling. It is easy to 
bruise the clusters during handling, and upon drying, bruised tissue will turn dark 
green or brown. Resins are very fragile and fall from the outside of the calyx if 
shaken. The less handling the floral clusters receive the better they look, taste 
and smoke. Floral clusters, including large leaves and stems, usually dry to about 
25% of their original fresh weight. When dry enough to store without the threat of 
mold, the central stem of the floral cluster will snap briskly when bent. Usually 
about 10% water remains in dry, stored Cannabis floral clusters prepared for 
smoking. If some water content is not maintained, the resins will lose potency 
and the clusters will disintegrate into a useless powder exposed to 
decomposition by the atmosphere. 

As floral clusters dry, and even after they are sealed and packaged, they 
continue to cure. Curing removes the unpleasant green taste and allows the 
resins and cannabinoids to finish ripening. Drying is merely the removal of water 
from the floral clusters so they will be dry enough to burn. Curing takes this 
process one step farther to produce tasty and psychoactive marijuana. If drying 
occurs too rapidly, the green taste will be sealed into the tissues and may remain 
there indefinitely. A floral cluster is not dead after harvest any more than an apple 
is. Certain metabolic activities take place for some time, much like the ripening 
and eventual spoiling of an apple after it is picked. During this period, 
cannabinoid acids decarboxylate into the psychoactive cannabinoids and 
terpenes isomerize to create new polyterpenes with tastes and aromas different 
from fresh floral clusters. It is suspected that cannabinoid biosynthesis may also 
continue for a short time after harvest. Taste and aroma also improve as 
chlorophylls and other pigments begin to break down. When floral clusters are 
dried slowly they are kept at a humidity very near that of the inside of the 
stomata. Alternatively, sealing and opening bags or jars or clusters is a 
procedure that keeps the humidity high within the container and allows the 
periodic venting of gases given off during curing. It also exposes the clusters to 
fresh air needed for proper curing. 

If the container is airtight and not vented, then rot from anaerobic bacteria and 
mold is often seen. Paper boxes breathe air but also retain moisture and are 
often used for curing Cannabis. Dry floral clusters are usually trimmed of outer 
leaves just prior to smoking. This is called manicuring. 

The leaves act as a wrapper to protect the delicate floral clusters. If manicured 
before drying, a significant increase in the rate of THC breakdown occurs. 
12 people like this

Alright trimmed my fan leaves, always tempted to go with a dry trim but never done it. Usually end up with dried bud around 8/9 days when I am drying in the room without another tent running. With another tent running it dries about 5/6 days and the smell isn't there and the buds just terrible tbh. For that reason I wouldn't even have another tent running in my drying room. Currently on day 3, wish it was a bit colder but temps sitting on 66 and humidity is at 62%. Running the fan on the lowest speed as well to try slow it all down. 

2 people like this

its all well Robert Connell Clarke saying to leave the fan leafs on but its a major pain in the arse to trim & more time consuming.

@stummer, anytime I've dried plants I give them a quick trim, hang them upside down in the tent & set the fan to 40% & leave them to dry at least for two weeks to get them the way I prefer, I totally hate wet weed.

7 people like this

Just had a harvest dried too quick, too much air exchange was the problem. The buds tasted fkn awful to be honest.  Nothing to lose so done a water cure, it took all the shit out in 6-7 days then 24-36 hours to get well dried ...it loses the smell and taste but the smoke is really smooth, no hint of what it was before:yep:

3 people like this

finished trimming last sunday took me over a week, its wet when I start near dry when i'm at the end, its in jars now  I got over 100gram of trim and small bud will be doing bubblehash tomorrow.

1 person likes this

I just got a yield of 1057g but not too happy with it. It took a week to dry, highest the temp went was 71 when the day was proper hot. The humidity never dropped below 49% either. 

@sroporilshoot you mention too much air exchange, you mean your exhaust fan was sucking out air too fast? Only ask as I had my fan speed turned down to its lowest. I have had weed go like this before and always thought it was due to running a second tent in the room.

This time however I wasn't running any other tent although we have had some hot days. When the days was hot I opened the Windows in the room, not wide but till the latch catches. Done that to try help lower the drying temp, just wondering could it have let too much fresh air into the room? Not directly blowing on the bud as its in a tent but just wondering if that could have an affect still?

My friend run the same cuts, his came out far better. Also his was dried in a week and he didn't lower his fan speed controller like I did. He had the fan running at full speed just plugged into the mains. Another difference though is he didn't have any Windows open as he took his down a while back when it was freezing cold. 

What you guys think? Opening the Windows let too much fresh air into the room and that's had an effect drying process? If not that then maybe should of opened them more and got the room proper cold.  Hopefully the boveda packs can kick a bit of life back into the bud.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have found the best way to dry is when ready harvest, chop at stalk and hang as it is. I will let sit like this for 2 weeks. I then trim, let dry for a couple or few days depending. Bang them brown paper bags for a few more days and then in jars. Open tbr the lid daily for a hour for first week week. Second week open every other day. 

Product: nice sticky, cured bud. 

Hope this helps. 

Edit: if dry to quick,  u can add water to jar and rehydrate. But not to much just a little. Close the lid and when you see condensation in glass, open an do the jar thing as I menioned  but leave the lid of for bit longer ECT or can put in paper bag to help dry it. 

Edited by perkie_uk101
2 people like this