Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mokka

Critical Sour

25 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I´ve been asked by Female Seeds to try out their new Critical Sour variety.

Many thanks to Mr B @Female Seeds Team for providing the seeds as well as very kindly a pack of Red Purps.

So this will be really more a bit of a report than a "proper" diary but Iĺl try and keep updates nice and regular.

As I intend only to germinate a couple of seeds from the CS and RP I gave the seeds what I didn´t need to some friends, and it´s possible I´ll get a bit of feedback from them too.

The CS seeds were all visually good quality, ripe and plump, however when we split the RP pack we found one seed which was already cracked and the the 2 pieces of seed casing had fallen off, they also seemed a little small tbh.

To be honest I feel the packaging needs to be upgraded. If seeds are just in a paper packet with no protection there is always a possibility of damage somehow. There needs to be some kind of hard case imo.

The other thing which is missing from the packaging is a production date (with perhaps a batch number), now for some bizarre reason most weed seed companies don't print a production date on the packs of seed. I fail to understand this, weed seeds are very expensive ( compared to any other seeds ) yet a cheap pack of veg seeds, well it's always there. And as a seed company surely it would be good to know from a customer dates and batch numbers in case there were any problems for example with germ rates / too random a plant etc,  you would be able to sort things out much easier and quicker.

Anyway rant over.

So I'll be germing these later in a few weeks. I generally start late, (end of May) as it takes a bit of time for the ground to warm up round these parts.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by mokka
8 people like this

Yeah I can totally see what you mean about some seeds being damaged when being sent, I like the dinafem packaging as this more or less totally stops this unless sombody literally stamps on your parcel you'll be fine :) 

1 person likes this

Good luck with your grow @mokka :yep: I agree with what you said about the packets for the seeds, much prefer the vials for protection.

Also on size of seed. I just germinated some myself, glad to say 6/6 100% live. I also thought the first true leaves looked small too, but glad to say they soon come along :) 

1 person likes this

On 4/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, mokka said:

Hi folks,

I´ve been asked by Female Seeds to try out their new Critical Sour variety.

Many thanks to Mr B @Female Seeds Team for providing the seeds as well as very kindly a pack of Red Purps.

So this will be really more a bit of a report than a "proper" diary but Iĺl try and keep updates nice and regular.

As I intend only to germinate a couple of seeds from the CS and RP I gave the seeds what I didn´t need to some friends, and it´s possible I´ll get a bit of feedback from them too.

The CS seeds were all visually good quality, ripe and plump, however when we split the RP pack we found one seed which was already cracked and the the 2 pieces of seed casing had fallen off, they also seemed a little small tbh.

To be honest I feel the packaging needs to be upgraded. If seeds are just in a paper packet with no protection there is always a possibility of damage somehow. There needs to be some kind of hard case imo.

The other thing which is missing from the packaging is a production date (with perhaps a batch number), now for some bizarre reason most weed seed companies don't print a production date on the packs of seed. I fail to understand this, weed seeds are very expensive ( compared to any other seeds ) yet a cheap pack of veg seeds, well it's always there. And as a seed company surely it would be good to know from a customer dates and batch numbers in case there were any problems for example with germ rates / too random a plant etc,  you would be able to sort things out much easier and quicker.

Anyway rant over.

So I'll be germing these later in a few weeks. I generally start late, (end of May) as it takes a bit of time for the ground to warm up round these parts.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Hey Mokka!

Hope you are doing fine!

Thanks a lot for starting the thread so fast, much appreciated. 

I am sorry to hear about that seed and thanks for your input. I do understand your point about the packaging and this is why I hereby give you a few info:

1) Our packaging shields the seeds from harmful ultraviolet rays that can damage DNA and the cells inside

2) Exposure to direct sunlight will adversely affect the germination rates

3) The special plastified paper prevent the seeds from getting wet during storage or transport 

So the fancy plastic bubbles most seedbanks use may protect the seeds from getting crushed, but do not protect it from harmful environmental effects that will influence the succes of your grow. We sometimes do get complaints, but this is very insignificant compared to what we sell. If your seeds do get crushed we always replace, no questions asked. 

About the production date. To be honest with you we normally have a production date. This is always present on the side of the package but is quite difficult to see it but it should be there, engraved or on the top or left or right.

Anyhow, I don't know about other companies but our seeds are never older than 18 months and the oldest batch we currently have in our office is from June 2017 and we just germinated few of them and as always, we had no problem at all.

I believe that's all for now but thanks once more for giving them a try, I am sure it will be lots of fun :D

Looking forward to the warm season,

All the best,
Mr B.

5 people like this

Hi Mr B and @Female Seeds Team thanks very much for the replies and for putting me straight about the date stamp.

Here the weather is starting to warm up, and I did a little prep on the 1m x 1m bed for the CS. Last year I had a Serious 6 (Serious seeds) where the CS will go and after harvest I left the big shade leaves over the bed as a mulch, and so yesterday there was just a couple of weeds to be pulled out and then I covered the soil with a good 5cm layer of compost.

I'll be adding a handful of chicken shit, rock potash, epsom salts as well, all on the surface, no digging it in.

As I said , last year I had a serious 6 in the bed where the CS is going, I sowed the seed on the 12th June. Now I realise that this is perhaps a little later than most people start, however as I'm growing in my garden I have found that if I start too early (1st of May for example)  plants can get too tall or big, so now I normally start about the 1st of June.

With these late starts however, I am always wondering if the start of flowering is also delayed. Whats your opinion on this, do early started plants flower earlier? (especially with respect to the CS and Red Purps)

Would you recommend an earlier start? I'm a little worried about height and size of the finished plant but maybe I could start in the middle of May, I really dare'nt go for a May 1st start again!

All the best, 

Mokka

Edited by mokka
2 people like this

Hello @mokka, all the best with the grow.

I followed your diary last year and really enjoyed it, very envious of the greenhouse :D

I'm also curious as to whether an earlier/later start affects the onset of flowering.. as I will be trying to limit height at one of my plots with a combination of LST/topping/and later plant outs @Female Seeds Team

2 people like this

On 4/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, mokka said:

Hi Mr B and @Female Seeds Team thanks very much for the replies and for putting me straight about the date stamp.

Here the weather is starting to warm up, and I did a little prep on the 1m x 1m bed for the CS. Last year I had a Serious 6 (Serious seeds) where the CS will go and after harvest I left the big shade leaves over the bed as a mulch, and so yesterday there was just a couple of weeds to be pulled out and then I covered the soil with a good 5cm layer of compost.

I'll be adding a handful of chicken shit, rock potash, epsom salts as well, all on the surface, no digging it in.

As I said , last year I had a serious 6 in the bed where the CS is going, I sowed the seed on the 12th June. Now I realise that this is perhaps a little later than most people start, however as I'm growing in my garden I have found that if I start too early (1st of May for example)  plants can get too tall or big, so now I normally start about the 1st of June.

With these late starts however, I am always wondering if the start of flowering is also delayed. Whats your opinion on this, do early started plants flower earlier? (especially with respect to the CS and Red Purps)

Would you recommend an earlier start? I'm a little worried about height and size of the finished plant but maybe I could start in the middle of May, I really dare'nt go for a May 1st start again!

All the best, 

Mokka

Hey Mokka,

You are more than welcome ;)

I do understand your doubts and to be honest with you, if you are afraid about height and so on, I would sow them in June as you say. The Critical Sour should not grow enormously anyway, is not the tallest strain we have in our catalogue so don't worry about it that much.

The Outdoor Grapefruit could grow a bit higher than the Critical Sour but still it depends on the pheno you have. Flowering should not be delayed.

So again, I would go for June if you want to feel safer :)

Let me know if you more doubts and I will try to get back asap,

All the best,
Mr B.

1 person likes this

Hi Mr B and @Female Seeds Team cheers for the reply.

I think I'm gonna go for a mid / end of may start this year for the Critical Sour, especially if it doesn't grow too tall.

Actually I'm itching to get started...

1 person likes this

On 5/3/2018 at 11:31 PM, mokka said:

Hi Mr B and @Female Seeds Team cheers for the reply.

I think I'm gonna go for a mid / end of may start this year for the Critical Sour, especially if it doesn't grow too tall.

Actually I'm itching to get started...

You're welcome mate, good planning ;)

totally understand your feeling :)

Take care,
Mr B.

1 person likes this

Hi @Female Seeds Team, just to let you know I started my seeds on the 22nd of May by soaking them for 24hrs and then planting them in a peat free compost. Both were up by the 27th. I'll plant out one in the garden in a few weeks, the other will go somewhere else (tbd).

Sorry, it's all a bit boring at atm.

1 person likes this

On 5/27/2018 at 11:02 PM, mokka said:

Hi @Female Seeds Team, just to let you know I started my seeds on the 22nd of May by soaking them for 24hrs and then planting them in a peat free compost. Both were up by the 27th. I'll plant out one in the garden in a few weeks, the other will go somewhere else (tbd).

Sorry, it's all a bit boring at atm.

Good Morning Mokka!

Thanks for informing me, everything sounds great. 
No worries, I totally understand, not the most interesting thing to show indeed ;)
Hope you find a nice spot soon for your ladies my friend :)

Take care,
Mr B.

Hi folks, time for a quick update.

I decided to plant my Critical Sour plant in with my outdoor tomatos ( where last year I had my Killer Kush plant ), this I did ar the start of June, and I also took the growing tip out  to create two leads. Hereś a quick pic from today,

large.P1110060.resized.JPG

I'll start training it and tying it down in the next few days. I've also removed a lot of the lower leaves from the tomato plants to let more sunlight reach the CS.

Till next time, Mokka

4 people like this

On 7/5/2018 at 11:40 PM, mokka said:

Hi folks, time for a quick update.

I decided to plant my Critical Sour plant in with my outdoor tomatos ( where last year I had my Killer Kush plant ), this I did ar the start of June, and I also took the growing tip out  to create two leads. Hereś a quick pic from today,

large.P1110060.resized.JPG

I'll start training it and tying it down in the next few days. I've also removed a lot of the lower leaves from the tomato plants to let more sunlight reach the CS.

Till next time, Mokka

Looks gorgeous Mokka! Nice green colour to it and really healthy leaves too :D

So, she's something like 5-6 weeks old?
Let's see when she'll start flowering, I am quite curious about that in particular.

Thanks for the update picture, much appreciated.

All the best,
Mr B.

hi folks, here´s a couple of pics showing how the critical sours doing. 

large.P1110124.JPGlarge.P1110125.JPG

as you can see she´s still relatively small and hasn´t really got going yet. however we´ve had a really hot and very dry summer and it´s affecting all the crops in the veg garden, and on the plus side it´s very discreet.

as you can see from the second pic, i think she´s just starting to think about flowering.

till next time , mokka

5 people like this

On 8/11/2018 at 0:17 PM, mokka said:

hi folks, here´s a couple of pics showing how the critical sours doing. 

large.P1110124.JPGlarge.P1110125.JPG

as you can see she´s still relatively small and hasn´t really got going yet. however we´ve had a really hot and very dry summer and it´s affecting all the crops in the veg garden, and on the plus side it´s very discreet.

as you can see from the second pic, i think she´s just starting to think about flowering.

till next time , mokka

Hello Mokka! Hope all is good with you :)

This summer was quite dry here too, historically it was the warmest summer in The Netherlands of the last 300 years...
Besides this, I was wondering how your ladies are doing or if you had any update about them? They must be in full flowering by now isn't it?

And I am happy to hear about the discretion, that's a fantastic news since it is indeed one of the feature of the variety :yep:

Can't wait to hear about the flowering stage ;)

All the best,
Mr B.

1 person likes this