Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tastebudz420

New set-up looking for advice

Hi all, im new to the forum and excited to be here, a friend @maverick40band I are looking to start up a personal grow and are looking for some good advice/ information, we are fed up with unreliable, poor quality or overpriced products out there and would like to have a clean tasty reliable source of our own. 

At the moment we are completely undecided on the best way to set up our tent. 

Hydroponics or soil grow? 

Potsizes? 

Light types?

Fan/ extractor sizes?

Nutrients?

We are looking at a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.4 tent and would like to grow 8 plants, is this tent adequate for the quantity and if so what equipment is needed to setup the tent to achieve a perfect grow environment? 

We do have some ideas of our own but would like some fresh ideas from experienced growers to compare notes and to see if we are on the right lines. I won't tell you what we have in mind as i feel we will benefit more from the knowledge and experience of this forum.

Any advice on the equipment you would recommend, what and where to buy from, things often not thought about when setting up, recommendations on soil or hydroponics (pros and cons), or just any information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

We are fairly new to this, we have a couple of 1-2 plant grows under our belts, so we are looking for as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from you all.

1 person likes this

Go look at Grow and Harvest - They're a site sponsor. https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product/green-qube-tent/   Should sort your tent needs.

https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product/mountain-air-carbon-filters/  - Filter brand I'd recommend

As far as lights go I'd check out the lighting section for some help. If you can afford it I'd go for CMH 

As far as Hydro/soil goes - Don't forget coco as an option. 

Nutrients really depend on the system you go for, but ask away and people will help.

3 people like this

welcome along mate, keep things simple and you'll both be good, extractor fan I would go for at least 5" in that space

I'm still quite new to this so don't really want to give you bad advice

You and your mate have made the right choice though, there's nothing like your own smoke

All the best :bong:

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

Go look at Grow and Harvest - They're a site sponsor. https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product/green-qube-tent/   Should sort your tent needs.

https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product/mountain-air-carbon-filters/  - Filter brand I'd recommend

As far as lights go I'd check out the lighting section for some help. If you can afford it I'd go for CMH 

As far as Hydro/soil goes - Don't forget coco as an option. 

Nutrients really depend on the system you go for, but ask away and people will help.

Thanks alot for your reply I'll check out the sites, would love to go cmh but not sure if the budget will allow for that at the moment but could definitely be a future upgrade.

I think we are swaying away from hydro so Coco is definitely something to think about.

Thanks again

Can't get much more simple than handwatered coco! 

4 people like this

Hi, first good luck the both of you, you are about to start a very rewarding partnership.

At first it's very easy to get confused about systems and grow methods.

I started off getting loads of knowledge and got caught up seeing people grow huge plants saying how simple it all is.... I started doing DWC because it seemed the best way to get huge plants like you see everywhere. I spent loads on a wardrobe set up with CO2 and all the knobs.

It was very difficult to dial in and I eventually cocked it all up.

Then I thought I'd go simple, used soil, but again ran into difficulties as the soil I used was wrong and eventually abandoned it.

Finally I saw a friend grow a stonker of a plant in some Coco in a tent...... I copied his method and straight away got great results.

I'd say the majority of growers here use a tent, it's easy to set up and pack down, and it creates  great environment for your plants. I used a 1.4m x 1.4m x 2m high tent and initially used a 600-W HPS (eventually switching to LEDs), 6inch intake and 6 inch extraction.

I use 20L airpots and coco to grow my plants, and I can get a maximum of 4 plants in the tent. When grown to full size, I usually get between 20 and 30 ounces per 3 month crop cycle. Work out how much you Guys smoke a week, then work out how much you'll need in 3 months and that's your minimum target.

You can grow more than 4 plants in the tent, but then once they mature, there wont be enough space and the crop wont be much more anyway. Space is one of the factors that will affect your yield.

With Coco, you should use Coco specific nutrients, plus a root stimulator and an enzyme in veg, and once in bloom you can add bloom boosters like PK 13/14 if you want to.

Coco is really easy to use, as it drains very well, it is almost impossible to overwater. It creates the perfect air/water ratio for the roots to thrive. As Coco contains no nutes, you have complete control over what your plants are getting, start low with the feed strength, gradually increasing as the plants demand it.

Also Coco is buffered, which means it is pH stable, you dont have to fuss around adjusting the pH of your feed.

Get a Bluelab truncheon to check your feed strength. Its also useful to be able to measure the strength of your run off (excess water in the plant trays) to see if the plants are taking up nutrient. 

Keeping it simple will let you get to know the grow cycle of cannabis. You will then be in a better position to deal with any problems that may arise, but you will find that pretty easy to learn.

I'm a LED fanatic, but I would still say go HPS to start off, it's cheap and does the job. People tend to get obsessed with lighting and the debate between LEDa and HPS has been very fierce on here, but again keep it simple, HPS to learn then upgrade later on if you want. In a small set up (ie a tent) I dont think there's much difference between them all. An ounce more or less, here or there when you average 25 ounces a grow isn't worth getting all heated up over!

Cannabis is just a weed, it grows anywhere so don't get lost by thinking this is all rocket science.

The best way to learn is to actually start a grow, and start a journal here on UK420..... you will get heaps of advice and encouragement along the way!

All the best!

Edited by teehee
8 people like this

@teehee

Great post buddy........:yep:

:oldtoker:

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, teehee said:

Hi, first good luck the both of you, you are about to start a very rewarding partnership.

At first it's very easy to get confused about systems and grow methods.

>snipped for brevity<

Great post and pretty much what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing teehee

Edited by SeaJay
2 people like this

No worries @SeaJay

I grow Autos for many reasons, much maligned in the past for poor yield and strength, but things have changed. 

Some Auto strains are as strong as and give as much yield as regular photoperiod plants. Dutch Passion are very reliable, having been around for yonks, they have stable strains that take a lot of shit and that makes them easy to learn with as well. I wouldn't spend ages getting sucked in by fantastic descriptions of certain strains on the seed banks at this stage, or go looking for some magic beans from some obscure company, go with the reliable seed banks and later on go gourmet! 

You dont need a dark period with Autos, they just grow and flower in 75 to 100 days, showing you the full life cycle. You'll get to see how seedlings develop, preflowers, and final bud development, without the worry of light leaks etc.

The good thing about no dark period is you can run your lights and fans 24 hours a day, meaning no complicated control units or failing timers etc. again easier to learn.

After a couple of grows you can then upgrade your kit by changing or adding lighting, adding controllers etc....You can then switch to regular photos if you want to, but I've stayed very happy just doing autos cos it works for me (and I get house inspections every 3 months).

Edited by teehee
2 people like this

1 hour ago, teehee said:

You can grow more than 4 plants in the tent, but then once they mature, there wont be enough space and the crop wont be much more anyway. Space is one of the factors that will affect your yield

I agree great post teehee but is that deffo true mate.

I only ask cos I've got 9 6 litre pots in a sq meter tent and it is now a bit tight 

1 person likes this

@teehee great response thanks for your input much appreciated! 

As you said in your post you have 4 plants and can potentially get the same harvest as say 8 plants in the same space, would this not take longer during vegetation? My logic tells me that with fewer plants it would take longer for the plants to grow enough to fill the vacated space compared to more but maybe smaller plants?

1 person likes this

@teehee completely answered all questions asked lol Nice!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Tastebudz420 said:

@teehee great response thanks for your input much appreciated! 

As you said in your post you have 4 plants and can potentially get the same harvest as say 8 plants in the same space, would this not take longer during vegetation? My logic tells me that with fewer plants it would take longer for the plants to grow enough to fill the vacated space compared to more but maybe smaller plants?

No worries mate.

You will be shocked at how much they grow. in 4 weeks of veg, my plants are 50-70cm wide and just as tall.

Once flowered, they will fill up the tent. Too many plants = too much can go wrong. Some plants may want stronger feed and others will want less..... 3-4 plants will allow you to deal with their needs more easily than growing 8-9 plants.

Plus its a waste of seed, why grow 9 when you can get the same from 4 in your space.

You need some apace for light and air to get through, so I find I have to trim away a fair bit. Un trimmed, and they would be triffids! At 4 weeks for Autos mind you. Now they have started flowering.

You cant change the Autos life cycle, but with regs you can..... veg them for as long as you want then flip to 12/12 for flowering.... but that would take longer compared to Autos, unless you veg your regs for just 2 weeks, - that would be pointless as they wont have matured enough before they start flowering.

1 person likes this

Check out my new feed, we are close to setting up thanks for everyone's feedback.