Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlackAtlas

Auto pounder, first grow V2.0

25 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd start my journey here with my first grow, I'll post regular updates and we will see what happens.

4 days growth and the wife says they are adult leaves already? I have no idea.

I've now figured this out with some help from others. Thanks. 

first image is three days old and the other is four. this is growing quick.

large.day3_3_40.jpglarge.day4_40.jpg

I’m certainly no experienced grower but I’ll throw in my 2 pence and try and help. It looks like it’s stretching. This means it isn’t close enough to your light or your light isn’t powerful enough. You can top it up with more media to help support the stem if it continues to stretch. If a plant isn’t receiving enough blue light from the light spectrum. It thinks it’s under a canopy and will stretch to try and break through to receive the light it needs. What light are you using and how far off the top of the pant is it? A T5 should be a few centimetres off the top of that. And a powerful LED light unit would need to be at least 24” or more or it would kill it. So you can see the difference in type of light and height 

1 person likes this

No special lights, it's in the window in a heated propergator.

1 person likes this

She's not too bad then!

1 person likes this

6 + hours of direct sun on a south facing windowsill and it'll be fine , though it'll start to lean . UK is supposedly warming up this week , so cross your fingers ! 

1 person likes this

large_day7.jpg

day 7. wifey thinks the leaf has got burnt but I dunno.

Posted (edited)

Your first pair of leaves are smooth and rounded, these are the 'seed leaves' (technical term: cotyledons), these are present in the seed and unfurl and grow a bit bigger after germination.

Your second set of leaves are the first pair of 'true leaves'. It looks like one of your first pair of true leaves is deformed for some reason. Perhaps a drop of water got stuck on it? Don't worry, your plant will carry on growing.

Edited by delagdo
1 person likes this

Day 12. Weather is quite shite in East Anglia.large.20180410_173630.jpg

It's a strong stem as it accidentally got bent on moving. Im having to wind my phone back because of image size limits.

2 people like this

Day 15. Looks very good.large.20180420_170159.jpgThe weather was good so we planted her in the greenhouse and named her Bob. 

Day 16.

large.20180420_170246.jpgEaten by snails. I hope she still lives. The coins appeared to do nothing so we are looking at nematodes. Any other ideas? I'd like to keep her in the greenhouse now till crop but I'll listen to anything.

Cheers.

1 person likes this

If you can put a ring of slug pellets around the base of the pot that the snail or slug must pass through to get up the side of your pot. Then it would at least be a barrier. Or you could wrap the pot in chicken wire. They don’t like climbing that stuff. 

One easy and inexpensive way to get rid of slugs is by creating a beer trap. Simply half bury a container into the soil, close to any particularly vulnerable plants you have, and half fill it with beer.

1 person likes this

or strip the copper from some wire, and make a ring out of it.

Put this copper ring around the plant base. the snails wont go over it. it works

go into wilkinsons  or a poundshop .... they sell rolls of stickyback  copper foil with one side serated .....  peel off the back and stick it on the top rim of the pot with the serated edge sticking out from the pot ....  the slimy buggers  dont  like this stuff  ..... :yep:

2 people like this

14 hours ago, DigDig said:

One easy and inexpensive way to get rid of slugs is by creating a beer trap. Simply half bury a container into the soil, close to any particularly vulnerable plants you have, and half fill it with beer.

Now done.

large.20180422_114322(2).jpg

It's now surrounded by copper pennies and has a plastic bottle over it at night.

Copper didn't seem to do much though.

large.20180422_114331(2).jpg

Day 17. She's hardy and has sprouted more. She's now planted in the garden and has three times daily inspections for those snail bastards.

3 people like this

Good luck on your first grow.

1 person likes this