Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

gsus

DINAFEM White widow first outdoor grow

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I've got hold of some White Widow from Dinafem and I am attempting my first outdoor grow. I also got a Critical 2.0 and Auto sweet tooth with the order (nice one Dinafem).

I soaked the Critical 2.0 and Sweet tooth, potted them and they have sprouted. I didn't have a light for them and they were in my conservatory but they seemed to stretch very fast. I got hold of a flouro veg light and as soon as I put them under the light they stopped getting taller. They seem to be developing well though but they seem 'lanky.'

I then soaked 5 White Widows but an hour before they were potted the cup got knocked over (don't ask!) and 3 of them ended up just sat about in the open air for about an hour. I planted them anyway, the 2 which stayed wet in the cup broke through fast and the other 3 done nothing. Then lo and behold one popped through yesterday. I've left the other two in the propogator and have just potted 3 more to make up for the loss. The 2 white widows that went straight under the light definitely have a better (less lanky) look to them

I have so many questions, I have done alot of research but I am suffering from information overload.

I grew indoors for many years using NFT and had a pretty good set up, I only used clones and apart from the odd cock up in the main my grows were successful. That was ten years ago though and so much has changed!

Due to being utterly sick of paying loads of money for average smoke I have decided to take the plunge again. I decided on an outdoor autoflower setup as growing indoors with NFT took over my life. (I had quite a few trays)  

I am just working out how to upload some photos and I guess this will turn into a diary of sorts.

In the meantime I have a few questions and I would be very grateful if someone would take the time to answer:-

My propogator temp sits at average 24c is this too hot? I can't control its temperature and if I unplug it I know the temp would drop too much

When should I pot them up? (I would imagine pretty soon.) What is a good pot size?

I have at the moment Canna Terra, is this ok? If not any recommendations?

What would you mix the soil with?

I have a feeling I've got a bit too excited and started this too early, also I am away from mid june so I wanted to get these finished.

When do others normally start outdoors?

I know I sound like an utter noob but like I say I've read so much info my head is full of it

2 people like this

large.5abebbbbaf4e5_pic2paint.jpglarge.5abebb5fa3c7a_pic1paint.jpg

2 people like this

When I do autos,I put my seed into pre-wetted 5" round pots,cover the top with cling-film,and let them germinate. When they have broken the surface,I move them into their final pots (11litres) after 7-10 days. What you need to do,is to minimize pot-ups with autos. They certainly need to be potted-on before the roots hit the bottom of the pots,otherwise it will trigger flowering too early.ATB mate.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info. I am going to use 12l buckets and drill drain holes in the bottom and I have some coco coming on tuesday. Could someone give me a ratio for soil to coco please? I got some instructions with my dinafem order but cannot find them anywhere.

Strangely enough one of the dried out seeds popped through today and the other one that dried out and took a long time to come through (furthest on the right in the picture) is looking pretty good.

NOTE: I am pretty sure I have been planting the seeds too deep. 40-50mm I reckon, they've all broken through (except the last dried out seed) I just wonder if this has caused any stress. I am about to plant 3 more at about 5mm depth.

Edited by gsus
planting tip
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, gsus said:

Thanks for the info. I am going to use 12l buckets and drill drain holes in the bottom and I have some coco coming on tuesday. Could someone give me a ratio for soil to coco please? I got some instructions with my dinafem order but cannot find them anywhere.

Strangely enough one of the dried out seeds popped through today and the other one that dried out and took a long time to come through (furthest on the right in the picture) is looking pretty good.

NOTE: I am pretty sure I have been planting the seeds too deep. 40-50mm I reckon, they've all broken through (except the last dried out seed) I just wonder if this has caused any stress. I am about to plant 3 more at about 5mm depth.

use either all coco or all soil

dont mix them mate

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, teehee said:

excellent advice, and I know you have info overload, but it's worth having a look at @912GreenSkell thread as he has it nailed down....

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/369263-guide-to-training-photosensitive-monsters/

Thanks teehee, seems like he has pretty much nailed it. I definitely wouldn't be able to pull that off in my garden but it has definitely made me feel more confident about the time of year i am attempting this. 

I am vegging mine using the same lights as him as well. I am going to pot my first 2 up in the morning using just the canna terra. 

43 minutes ago, greenvigilante said:

use either all coco or all soil

dont mix them mate

Have you tried both? Do you have a preference?

37 minutes ago, gsus said:

Have you tried both? Do you have a preference?

def tried both and my personal opinion is coco is both easier and more productive

thats not to say other growers dont find the opposite 

bit more work in coco with watching your feed strength and ph(depending on nutrients used) and daily feeding once a good root system is established

I have taken alot of photos to add but due to an equipment malfunction I will not be able to upload until after the weekend. However things are coming on nicely. 

Due to the out door temps I have ordered some indoor equipment to continue growing on in the hope that i can put them out to finish once the weather (temperature) improves.

The sweet tooth and critical are 15 days old. 

Any thoughts on giving them some light feed?

I collected biobizz today, the instructions say 2-4 ml per litre.

What about 0.5 ml per litre?

Anyway i've knocked up some feed already. I am going to let it stand overnight in the hopes someone can give me an answer.

Depending on what soil you have bud .

If it's got no added feed , then .5 a ml sounds good to start them on :)

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Autofatman said:

Depending on what soil you have bud .

If it's got no added feed , then .5 a ml sounds good to start them on :)

It's Canna Terra. I've just checked it out and the info reckons it contains enough nutrients to be getting on with for now. I think possibly if I feed them I may be overdoing it.

I would definitely welcome anyone elses thoughts on this.

However I have potted another couple up into coco which I believe contains no nutrients. Perhaps it would be better to use the feed on these?

Yeah mate defo feed the ones in Coco.

The others should be fine if it's got feed in it. 

Got any pics? That will help abit on how they are looking. 

Atb

1 person likes this

I've got plenty of pics which I will upload after the weekend. I've had a bit of a tech issue. 

I just wanted to thank you all for your input.

1 person likes this

looking  good so far mate ... i have a couple  Dinafem ww autos here  and hoping to pop them in 3 or 4 weeks time if all goes well ....:yep:

1 person likes this