Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

maverick40b

Newbie grow setup needing advice

17 posts in this topic

Hello UK 420, new to this forum. Interested in advice from other growers as this is all new to me and fed up of having to rely on the black market. Me and also a friend have decide to do a setup up each and grow our own strains. All very exciting but also very daunting. A friend that grows recommended a x2 4 pot 25L wilma pot system. With x6  600w omega sunblaster dual spectrum bulbs. with a 5" rhino incline fan and 10" rhino pro carbon filter. with various nutrients. Originally was going to convert a room, but have decide to go with a tent suits me better to keep it out the way of the family. After looking across the forum. Overwhelmed with various things to go for. The Green tube tent for instance looks great. Would really appreciate,  If you could help me through the list of things i need to begin before i go purchase the stuff as I'm unsure of the list I've been giving and is a big investment for me. Heres what I've got down so far. 

Greenlab grow tent unsure of what size needed for 8 plants.

x2 4 Pot 25L wilmasystem ( also seen auto pots they look good ) 

x6 Omega Digi-pro euro digital grow light kit is has ballet and euro reflector. ( this seems like a lot ) 

5" twin speed Rhino incline fan 

10" Rhino pro carbon filter with ducting and clips 

Plant magic bloom 5L

Box of shooting powders 

500g ton of bud 

Rhizotonic 5l 

PK/13/14 1L

Canna coco A+B 5L 

( any changes and advice will be really appreciated. what tent to go for, are the wilma system worth while or should i use another. x6 lights seems loads swell as the nutrients. I'm sure theres things i haven't got on the list i need aswell. look forward to the feedback can't wait to get the ball rolling :) a big 420 thank you 

How much do you need to harvest? 

1 person likes this

6 x 600!

How bigs your tent ?

My advice, start small and keep it simple. (grow and bloom nutes only). Pop a few seeds under a single light. Get a few grows under your belt and then decide how you can improve.

3 people like this

I'd second the above - keep it simple.

A hand watered grow will keep you busy, but attentive to the plants growth - you will get to see how the plants respond to feed/environment and you will have fewer variables to work through to fix any issues.

Have a gander at the setup board - there is a tools thread on there with a very handy calculator that will help you work out how much light (and its cost) you need to get an optimal ratio of lumens per sq/ft.

Good luck!! :v:

3 people like this

31 minutes ago, golf.007 said:

How much do you need to harvest? 

would like to do 8 plants and just as much as possible of each plant thats why i thought hydro would be good.

27 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

6 x 600!

How bigs your tent ?

My advice, start small and keep it simple. (grow and bloom nutes only). Pop a few seeds under a single light. Get a few grows under your belt and then decide how you can improve.

yeah is this far too many ? i haven't decide what size tent i need for 8 plants what would u recommend. 

6 minutes ago, Slugums said:

I'd second the above - keep it simple.

A hand watered grow will keep you busy, but attentive to the plants growth - you will get to see how the plants respond to feed/environment and you will have fewer variables to work through to fix any issues.

Have a gander at the setup board - there is a tools thread on there with a very handy calculator that will help you work out how much light (and its cost) you need to get an optimal ratio of lumens per sq/ft.

Good luck!! :v:

i was thinking soil grow for flavour but thought hydro would be easier to look after in terms of self watering. i did have a look at the calculator couldn't make much sense of it tbh. 

51 minutes ago, maverick40b said:

i was thinking soil grow for flavour but thought hydro would be easier to look after in terms of self watering. i did have a look at the calculator couldn't make much sense of it tbh. 

Hand watered coco would, I reckon, keep you busiest!

I don't know about flavour - hopefully others who have used both can chip in on that - would be interesting to see what they say. My understanding is that the flush is the important factor in getting rid of any nutes that might taste bad.

Re lighting and such - if you check out a diary with an 8 pot system, that could help you figure out what size tent your looking at and then folks will chip in with lighting suggestions...

Cheers! :v:

3 people like this

It's very unlikely that you'll need x6 600w bulbs.. that's complete overkill for 8 plants and you'll probably be wasting alot of energy. 'Self watering' still requires effort.. you need to take care of the reservoir and you need to be much more precise with feed/ph/ec/temps. You need to do some measuring up and figure out what size plants you're aiming for and how much room you have to work with, it's easy to say 'I want 8 plants as big as possible' but in reality the plants can grow huuuuge if they have enough veg time/space for roots.  You say you have a room, how big is this room? Are you going to be using the same room for veg and flower? Do you even want to have a grow cycle so you're always harvesting? Where will you be drying your harvest? Are you going to train the plants and top them or are you just gonna let them do their thing and grow straight up? If you're thinking of spending big, make sure you have things planned out or you will end up spending more later down the line or trying to fix things as you go.

3 people like this

Max 2 600s imo but if u have the money, id reccomend going for CMH.

Edited by JamJar
2 people like this

I agree with the above^^^^, I do 8 plants under 2 600's and its plenty of light.....

2 people like this

As above 2 600w will be enough. Have you thought about doing a soil grow for you first time, with the less is more approach? If you pot up every 2 weeks there is no need for grow feed, until you switch for the first 2 weeks and then it's bloom from then onwards? Benefits of growing in soil is you don't need to mess about with ph,ppm ect.

Potting up goes as... start seeds in seed modules for first week or 2, then pot up to 1ltr, 4-6 weeks pot up to 3.5, 6-8 weeks 7.5ltr 8-10 weeks final pot 11ltr. 11lr will produce 3-4 oz per plant (if conditions are right) 7.5ltr will get 2-2.5 oz per plant. Topping and training will be required. Ideal an indica dom strain will be ideal with this pot up and veg time.

Tent size depending on what size pot you finish in. 7.5ltr a 1.2x1.2x2m will be a squeeze with 8 plants + 1 600w light or go for the 1.2x1.2x2.4m 8plants 11ltr final pots x2 600w

Edited by perkie_uk101

6 hours ago, dylanbk said:

It's very unlikely that you'll need x6 600w bulbs.. that's complete overkill for 8 plants and you'll probably be wasting alot of energy. 'Self watering' still requires effort.. you need to take care of the reservoir and you need to be much more precise with feed/ph/ec/temps. You need to do some measuring up and figure out what size plants you're aiming for and how much room you have to work with, it's easy to say 'I want 8 plants as big as possible' but in reality the plants can grow huuuuge if they have enough veg time/space for roots.  You say you have a room, how big is this room? Are you going to be using the same room for veg and flower? Do you even want to have a grow cycle so you're always harvesting? Where will you be drying your harvest? Are you going to train the plants and top them or are you just gonna let them do their thing and grow straight up? If you're thinking of spending big, make sure you have things planned out or you will end up spending more later down the line or trying to fix things as you go.

Thanks for the reply mate. Seems like 2 600w is what to go for by the replies. I have ok size space. A 1.2x1.2x4m tent would fit no problem if that's suitable. I would be using the same room for veg/flower yes. I don't think I'd like to have a cycle were I'm always harvesting this requires a three plants rotation does it ? I haven't thought about were I would dry the harvest no. Not familiar with training the plants or topping but if better for the final results of the plant would definitely add this in. I would really like to have everything planned out to prevent having to spend or fix things that's why I've came to this grateful forum so much information from UK growers it'd great. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my message.

Edited by maverick40b
1 person likes this

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

Max 2 600s imo but if u have the money, id reccomend going for CMH.

Thanks just read up a little on CMH there, sound great. If I were to use two 600w hps  what would I need the  for CMH could you reccomend one to have a look at ? 

3 hours ago, perkie_uk101 said:

As above 2 600w will be enough. Have you thought about doing a soil grow for you first time, with the less is more approach? If you pot up every 2 weeks there is no need for grow feed, until you switch for the first 2 weeks and then it's bloom from then onwards? Benefits of growing in soil is you don't need to mess about with ph,ppm ect.

Potting up goes as... start seeds in seed modules for first week or 2, then pot up to 1ltr, 4-6 weeks pot up to 3.5, 6-8 weeks 7.5ltr 8-10 weeks final pot 11ltr. 11lr will produce 3-4 oz per plant (if conditions are right) 7.5ltr will get 2-2.5 oz per plant. Topping and training will be required. Ideal an indica dom strain will be ideal with this pot up and veg time.

Tent size depending on what size pot you finish in. 7.5ltr a 1.2x1.2x2m will be a squeeze with 8 plants + 1 600w light or go for the 1.2x1.2x2.4m 8plants 11ltr final pots x2 600w

Yeah did think 5 600w was loads was going of the a advice of a friend. Yeah I had considered soil. Was told that I would get a much better yield from hydro and that the Wilma system was easy. It seems like people are favouring soil tho. See your point to the less is more approach. Really undesidecided with the soil or hydro. Wanted hydro because I was under the impression I would get a larger yield and it would be easier to look after. But seems like with soil I will have more time to make changes if I mess some thing up with the plant? And also can achieve the same yields if I veg for long enough ? Was put off hydro for the additives and think soil is better for flavour and overall results ?